Super hot headers at idle!!

-

440dart76

Reaction score
I have a .030 over 440, flat top pistons, eddy rpm heads, comp extreme energy 285 hl cam, m1 single plane intake, 750 hp carb. The carb is jetted 90 front and back. When the car is idling the headers glow red. I have pulled the plugs and they don't look like it is running lean. I have tried a 850 hp carb and no luck there. Checked for vacuum leaks. Timing is set at 32 degrees. I have talked to a few other guys at the track and they said there bb Chrysler does the same thing. Is this really normal or am I missing something? Thanks for your help!!

To much fuel, retarded timing, blocked exhaust. I dont ever remember seeing glowing red headers at idle, thats a problem.

Increase the base advance by 5 to 10 degrees and see what happens at idle. Most likely the idle mixture will need to be leaned, and the mechanical advance limited for high RPMs. After the timing change it might be possible to lower idle speed by 100 to 200 RPM.

I agree with some of the above posts.

If the timing isn't locked out, not enough initial advance. Total might be ok, needs less in the distributor and more on the crank.

You're getting unburned fuel burning in the exhaust tract.

Thanks guys. I'll try swapping out the t bar in the distributor.

Before doing anything, just crank another 5-10 degrees in it and see what it does. The carb idle speed/settings are going to change... I'd guess in the 20* range for initial may be pretty close.

As long as there isn't any load on it you won't hurt anything with the total being up there.

Before doing anything, just crank another 5-10 degrees in it and see what it does. The carb idle speed/settings are going to change... I'd guess in the 20* range for initial may be pretty close.

As long as there isn't any load on it you won't hurt anything with the total being up there.

yup

I run Edlebrock heads. Try setting full mechanical advance to 38 degrees at 3000 RPM. Make sure you do not run any vacuum advance, even after you have set the timing. With your lift the timing maybe to high, and will have to back it off a little. My sons motor with ported eddie heads, had the best dyno test at 34 degrees were mine was 38. You never said what distributor you have.

I thought this was a indication of a lean condition. I know it is in then motorcycle world. You might need a bigger carb. Friend of mine had to have a 900 cfm (I believe it was) sent off to a carb guru so it flow enough fuel for a big block chevy. The carb had more work done to it than just adding bigger jets. My friend got a box of parts back with the carb. lol Just a thought

I thought this was a indication of a lean condition. I know it is in then motorcycle world. You might need a bigger carb. Friend of mine had to have a 900 cfm (I believe it was) sent off to a carb guru so it flow enough fuel for a big block chevy. The carb had more work done to it than just adding bigger jets. My friend got a box of parts back with the carb. lol Just a thought

Same here had the same thing happen a LONG time ago with the 340 in my dads Duster. In the dark I could see the headers glowing a dull red, I turned out the idle mixture screws , carb was a holley , and they cooled right down.

-
Back