Super victor clean up

-

gumper

Reaction score
I had a gift certificate to edelbrock that was going to expire this month, so I cashed it in on a super victor intake. I've knocked off the rough casting spots with a file, but there's some spots around the carb flange that kind of rolls under I am questioning. Should I grind the spots flush with the carb flange, or does the material help with air flow? I plan on using a 1" open spacer.
image-5.jpg

Easy way to say it is should I match it to the spacer or just leave it alone?

I think I'd leave it as is for now if it was mine. I'm gonna take a wild guess here gumper, and say those areas, even though counter intuitive looking to maximum flow, will actually help the mixture transition into the ports vs just pounding the plenum floor. I think the 1" spacer will help in that regard also.

I'm curious as to what others think about this. Maybe we can all learn something here. :)

You wouldn't do any harm cleaning up the area near the felt tip line right at the top, in my opinion. How much will you gain, hopefully some, but I think it's in the range of splitting hairs.....especially on a bracket type car. :)

I just knocked off the edges so the flow didn't hit sharp corners under the carb.

I think they are supposed to be there, probably for transition and velocity...to an extreme
DSCN5286.jpg

I should have said this earlier.....

gumper, I applaud your attention to detail :cheers:. When I was young, several mentors I looked up to always told me, anywhere on the car, it's the work you do that's not seen, that separates the men from the boys. I always took that to heart.....like deburring blocks/heads, and generally making things as perfect as possible. How much it helped, who knows.....but at least i knew it was done. I think you have that same sentiment/passion. :thumbrig:

Leave the plenum alone unless you are putting it on a big inch high power engine. The Super Vic need a good deep port match more than anything, as the runner exits are cast very small. Don't be surprised if you need to take .050 or more off the flange to get it to bolt up to the heads. Not an out of the box piece, and definitely best suited for builds in the 600+ HP range.

Do what lets you sleep at night.

this is interesting, I had to really open up that area, along w/ making the whole opening bigger, to even match the gasket on torquer 2 intake, for a f.a.s.t. 2.0 throttle body. if I hadn`t the injectors would have been over alum., also made tried to make the little runner openings, bigger to match the flow of the tall openings on it. hughs said the diff you can see is why there is so much flow scatter. any one else do this stuff that really knows what their doing. had the thing partially flowed while doing it, and was told that " I definately wasn`t hurting it. would like to see any pics of others work. haven`t taken time to learn how to post pics of my own, maybe when I retire and have more time.

this is interesting, I had to really open up that area, along w/ making the whole opening bigger, to even match the gasket on torquer 2 intake, for a f.a.s.t. 2.0 throttle body. if I hadn`t the injectors would have been over alum., also made tried to make the little runner openings, bigger to match the flow of the tall openings on it. hughs said the diff you can see is why there is so much flow scatter. any one else do this stuff that really knows what their doing. had the thing partially flowed while doing it, and was told that " I definately wasn`t hurting it. would like to see any pics of others work. haven`t taken time to learn how to post pics of my own, maybe when I retire and have more time.

oh yea, it is going on a big inch high h.p. engine. the torquer 2 probably still won`t keep up w/ my heads, but it is fairly short and was polished. always wanted a polished intake-pretty.

That would land me in nail for life.

Gumper, that little bit of work is IMO a good thing to do. While I don't think it'll show any type of big number gain, it is what was said earlier above. It's the little things that make the engines tick best.

I would just simply have a smoothed out mating point where the intake and spacer meet. Nothing fancy, nothing trick, no extra grinding to be slick. Just have them meet to get ride of the edge. Let the air and fuel go past it nice and easy, no obstruction to crash into and tumble over.

Air doesn't do corners well so you can hurt flow by removing an inside radius that allows the air to bend without going turbulent while it's moving fast. A spacer can hurt this too if the air stream picks up more speed as a result of it. The flow will tumble and shear away from the sharp corner. It can get so bad it hits the floor and goes turbulent, and causes fuel to come out of suspension. That usually where plenum dams like turtles come in. I haven't worked with the Super Victor but I have some experince with the M1s. Like most porting for the novice: less=more. Bigger is (usually) not better.

I guess maybe they figure it's best to cast with too much material than not enough. Easy to remove, but a beeotch to add.

I should have said this earlier.....

gumper, I applaud your attention to detail :cheers:. When I was young, several mentors I looked up to always told me, anywhere on the car, it's the work you do that's not seen, that separates the men from the boys. I always took that to heart.....like deburring blocks/heads, and generally making things as perfect as possible. How much it helped, who knows.....but at least i knew it was done. I think you have that same sentiment/passion. :thumbrig:

Thank you. I never used to really care, just wanted to slap the parts on and get it on. The little things that cost nothing but some time and finesse can make a big difference. This probably isn't the case, but I do feel a little better about it.

I want to port match it to the heads, but don't think I'll have the time. Have to get the intake put on tonight after work then race tomorrow night. Judging by the gaskets that were on the old intake there is a lot that can come off the ports. I would rather not make an 'oops' though and not have the time to get it fixed before the gates open tomorrow evening. Wanted to get the heads and intake professionally ported this winter anyway. Knocking off the casting boogers and divots should get me through for now.

You might give a littel up with the as-cast port openings - but a mismatch there isn't as big a deal as it's made out to be. If, overall, the port volume is too small - that would also be a minor deal rectified when they are properly ported later. No biggie either way IMO.

I would definitely put a 4 hole spacer on it. Four hole spacers straighten out the air flow. From my experience, open spacers only help at very high RPM. I have 2 open spacer that I will give you one for shipping plus $5

I had a few hours so I decided to try to do some mild port matching. They're cast pretty far off. The gaskets match the heads perfect, but the manifold is off a lot. I used the air-gap as a reference since there's carbon marks outlining the ports well. I measured, outlined and eyeballed everything three or four times before taking some material off. I was going to go all the way to the end of the black marker, but I was running out of time so I stopped about half way into the marks. They're still not matched perfect, but not enough will be better than too much. All that's left to find out is if the SV is better on the track than the air-gap. I couldn't use a spacer because my gigantic 6" air filter won't clear the hood with a spacer. I'm going to get a 4" for the next race and I'll put the 1" spacer on to see what happens.
image-8.jpg

image-9.jpg

The second pic isn't the final product, just a progressive shot. I cleaned up the runners a few inches in as well. Made everything smooth but not polished.

Put that thing back together.....times flying...lol. You're gonna be too tired to cut some lights tomorrow. :D

I think you're going to gain some ET and the MPH has to be way better with that intake in my opinion. Can't wait to see the results.....

Just be safe and have fun!

I had it all wrapped up plus an oil change about 2 hours ago. I stole some down time at work to work on my car :D but don't tell my boss. I hope I can get a tenth.

Things did not go well. Has terrible surge and stumble under full throttle, hardly ran down the track. Acts like it's starving for full then takes off for a few seconds then dies off again. Think a gasket is not sealed. Going to hope to find another set of gaskets tomorrow and tear it apart. May have to swap back to the air gap if I can't find the problem. I hope it's not another edelbrock cast flaw that bit me.

Check your carb out. make sure a bug didn't plug one of your air bleed or something silly like that.

If it idles ok probably not a gasket issue.

-
Back