Swaybar brackets

-

CRUZE 418

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
'72 Dart, would like to install a stock front swaybar, no brackets on lca. For the last hour I have been trying to research this, my head is ready to explode. Is there a weld on ready bracket or is my only option to modify the b/ e body bracket.

the only bolt on option that I know of is to hang a piece of angle iron from where the shock absorber bolts to the LCA
I bought a front sway bar in a deal that was mounted this way and apparently it worked great
I haven't tried it yet but I will be making brackets to mount the bar onto my k member in thr next few months then bolting everything together

20220701_101910.jpg

20220701_101921.jpg

20220701_101956.jpg

The Hellwig kit comes with study thick angle brackets to mound the end links to.

Also, that one has nice K-member to sway bar bushing brackets.

Look at their instructions posted on the Hellwig website. There should be pics of installations here on FABO too.

I apologize, I do not know how to look up threads on this site. I know that all of this has been gone over before, I have read some of them over the past 3 yrs or so, but did not take note of them because I did not have this car at the time.
So I will take a look at both suggestions and come up with a plan. Will probably go with the weld in.
Thank you everyone!

I apologize, I do not know how to look up threads on this site. I know that all of this has been gone over before, I have read some of them over the past 3 yrs or so, but did not take note of them because I did not have this car at the time.
So I will take a look at both suggestions and come up with a plan. Will probably go with the weld in.
Thank you everyone!

Did you go to the Hellwig website and look up the 67-72 front sway bar?

From this post: Finished! Brutal 'Cuda

Stuff is going back on, much more fun. Hellwig 55917 sway bar (has the ends bent to clear the wheels better) Made the leaf spring hangers and plates. Qa1 front strut bar, new bushings, LCA plates, etc... Now trying to decide on which disc brakes to use.
Ordered an A body 8 3/4 housing and axles from Dr.Diff.

Nates68

img_4227-jpg.jpg

Could not get into Hellwigs site for some reason. I ended up ordering the brackets from Bergman.
Thank you again!

Be careful. If I remember correctly, the 1972 factory sway bar runs through the k-member whereas the earlier ones have the sway bar in front of the k-member. I think the tabs that mount to the 72 lower control arms are different or are located differently than the 71 and earlier.

Be careful. If I remember correctly, the 1972 factory sway bar runs through the k-member whereas the earlier ones have the sway bar in front of the k-member. I think the tabs that mount to the 72 lower control arms are different or are located differently than the 71 and earlier.

No, the 1972 A-body is the earlier style with the K-member running on the outside front. Same for 67-72 K-members.

The through mount sway bar for A-bodies is 1973 to 1976.

Be aware that the shock mount bracket may require a different length of end link than the stock LCA bracket. The stock bracket location is lower on the LCA than the shock bolt mounted angle will be. The length of the end links should be adjusted so that the trailing arms of the swat bar are level to the ground when he car is sitting level and normally loaded. The factory end link pin is not adjustable; however, a length of threaded rod, some washers and nuts, and a piece of tubing cut to length will create a custom end link of any length needed.

get a piece of 1 1/2" x 3" 1/8" wall square tubing and cut a diagonal on a 2 1/2" piece.
Drill a hole, trim and shape if you're fussy or just weld 'em on.

As we all know, everyone's time is precious, and I have to have someone else weld these brackets in. He has a jack of all trades fab shop, and no help. So the less he has to do the better. That is why I went with the Bergman, could not get into the Hellwig site for some reason. This car is just a stock driver 318, except for the guy before me had big suspension plans before he sold it. I am installing an old stock swaybar from my '69 Dart, it seems to be the same. I put Gerst front suspension, all of it, under the '69. So it's all just sitting in the corner. Will try and get it set up per instruction, locate the brackets and weld.
Thank you all again!

20220701_172800.jpg

20220701_172705.jpg

I am installing an old stock swaybar from my '69 Dart, it seems to be the same. I put Gerst front suspension, all of it, under the '69. So it's all just sitting in the corner. Will try and get it set up per instruction, locate the brackets and weld.
That being the case, you've got all the '69 parts- why not just exchange the LCAs for the '69 ones with the tabs? It doesn't take all that long, a couple hours including the mandatory beer break...

I don't know why you are wasting your time with that dinky factory sway bar when you have totally modified the rest of the front suspension? That's nuts. Buy a REAL swaybar from Hellwig or PST or someone,, and get MATCHING, ENGINEERED mounting brackets and links with NO WELDING required.

Here is a thread about weld on sway bar brackets. If you scroll down you will see series of posts that I made with step by step pictures for modifying B-body brackets to use on A-body UCAs. It's not very hard, but not as straightforward as some other posters would have you believe because the A-body tabs are upside down and on the opposite side of the UCA as compared to B bodies (A-bodies on bottom of UCA - B bodies on the top of the UCA)
Search for:
Weld on sway bar tabs

I do not know how to locate or open that thread. I have an old front end to copy. Just didn't want to steel the lca from it.
Thank you for answering! We'll get it one way or another!

Here is a thread about weld on sway bar brackets. If you scroll down you will see series of posts that I made with step by step pictures for modifying B-body brackets to use on A-body UCAs. It's not very hard, but not as straightforward as some other posters would have you believe because the A-body tabs are upside down and on the opposite side of the UCA as compared to B bodies (A-bodies on bottom of UCA - B bodies on the top of the UCA)
Search for:
Weld on sway bar tabs
Just clarifying- *You mean LCAs...* (Lower Control Arms)

yes LCA - brainfart

OP - top of this screen just under your screen name is search box. enter what you want and all threads on that topic will be listed

-
Back