Switched from Scumacher try-Ys to Pro Parts step headers.

-

Doosterfy

Reaction score
I know its well known that the little Scumacher headers cost power, but I have not seen too many actual tests so I'm posting my results to give some insight. My car is a 70 Gold Duster street strip car. It weighs exactly 3500# with me in it and a full fuel cell. The engine is an 11.5 to 1, stock stroke, .030" over 440 with cnc ported Stealth heads, an out of the box Eddy Torker II, a Holley 850 double pumper and MSD distributor, 6AL box and Blaster coil. The cam in a COMP Xtreme Energy 292 street solid roller with .582/.588 lift and 254/260 duration @ .050 installed straight up. Drivetrain is an A-518 overdrive and a Strange nine inch with 4.57 gears. Best run with the Schumachers was 11.48 @ 116 mph with a 1.63 60 ft. I took it to the track this past weekend with the New Pro Part headers and it ran 11.125 @ 121.4 with a 1.549 60 ft. I did make one other change worth noting. I also changed out the carb main body for a Proform main body. Looks like it gained about 50 hp, and from driving it, it feels like it did not loose any throttle response or low end torque. Also it has the factory power steering. I had to custom fab a 90 degree inlet fitting on the steering box to clear the header tube on cylinder #3.

Hi, you can keep your power steering box with your proparts headers and how its fitted

That's good comparison, now I'd like to see one for the TTI's vs Pro Parts.

Curious: as the weather the same?

BTW, your avitar is from my old stomping grounds: Fremont!

would have been nice to see what just changing the headers did, then the carb.

1.63 60 ft. to a 1.549 60 ft. is a pretty big drop.. that from the carb change?

doosterfly had similar results to that article .3 to .4 faster. To me that is huge.

That's good comparison, now I'd like to see one for the TTI's vs Pro Parts.

I might be doing that but in my case the proparts were so badly fitting it won't be a good comparison, as I had to smash in tubes to make them fit. Those tubes were too restrictive and the motor would not turn 6000. The torsion bars were in the way on the pass side. Now going to coil-overs so the TTI step for 440-1 / RB will fit. Maybe.

Hi, you can keep your power steering box with your proparts headers and how its fitted

I'm not sure if your comment is a statement or a question. If it is a question, the answer is yes. The only issues were that the inlet on the steering box for the high pressure hose is pointing directly at the header tube for cylinder # 3. I work on hydraulics and I'm a skilled tig welder so I custom fabbed a tight 90 degree fitting with a -6 JIC male nipple and a hydraulic hose to connect to it. On the other end of the hose that connects to the power steering pump I made a custom fitting by cutting the original fitting off of the factory hose and tig welding it onto a fitting on the end of the hose. The other issue was the nipple on the pump for the low pressure return hose was pointed at the header tube for the #1 cylinder. For that problem I cut the nipple off, changed the clocking and tig welded it back onto the pump. End result is big full length headers and factory power steering.

would have been nice to see what just changing the headers did, then the carb.

1.63 60 ft. to a 1.549 60 ft. is a pretty big drop.. that from the carb change?
I can't say how much of the gain was from the headers and how much was from the carb main body. My guess is that at least 80% of the gain is from the headers.

doosterfly had similar results to that article .3 to .4 faster. To me that is huge.

Yes a big noticeable gain in power. As soon as I drove it, it was obvious. On the street it went from tires won't hook at all, to John Force burnout anything past half throttle.

I can't say how much of the gain was from the headers and how much was from the carb main body. My guess is that at least 80% of the gain is from the headers.

You changed the main body on the carb, so how much more air and fuel are you getting compared to the Holley? That will make a difference right there. It just like changing to bigger jets and installing a larger venturi diameter. Your motor may have needed the different fuel and air ratio with the cnc ported heads. I can not see anywhere close to an 80% gain. I run a .030 over 440 with 10.5 compression with an Edelbrock RPM cam and heads, with a Quick fuel 850 with Schumacher headers and still run 11.50s@117mph. Your test should have been done before you changed anything.

just out of curousity, whats the price tag of the proparts vs TTI?

nevermind, they are about the same as TTIs

You changed the main body on the carb, so how much more air and fuel are you getting compared to the Holley? That will make a difference right there. It just like changing to bigger jets and installing a larger venturi diameter. Your motor may have needed the different fuel and air ratio with the cnc ported heads. I can not see anywhere close to an 80% gain. I run a .030 over 440 with 10.5 compression with an Edelbrock RPM cam and heads, with a Quick fuel 850 with Schumacher headers and still run 11.50s@117mph. Your test should have been done before you changed anything.

This is true. There's no way you can attribute a percentage gain to the headers alone when both the headers and the carb body were changed. It's just a guess.

I did not change the parts in order to run a test. I changed the parts because I wanted to make the car faster. Just sharing the results, that's all. If I had a dyno at my disposal or lived very close to a drag strip I likely would have changed one at a time but it's a 2.5 hour drive to the track for me so I only go two to four times a year and my goal is always to run as quick and fast as possible.

Had a set of cppa 2" under chassis headers on dart it was a 12:1 440 with ported 516s and a hyd cam installed hooker fenderwells .2 tenths quicker that was the only change.I hated those Chysler Power headers from day 1 poor fit had to pull engine to replace starter or remove headers bad choice for drag application only and I gave nearly $600.00 for them in 1993.

-
Back