T-56 MAGNUM conversion

-

Tjfly4pay

1964 Valiant Conv.
Reaction score
Hey folks...

I have sold out of my T-56 MAGNUM conversion parts for our late A-bodies.
This is good news.... I am going to modify the design slightly for the next manufactured run of parts. This modification will then allow these parts to be used on ALL A-bodies, including the early A-bodies.

Let me know if you are interested, so that I can get enough made on the front end, possibly lowering the manufacture cost of the parts, and pass the savings on to you all. Thanks for your time.

Todd Johnson
ToddRon Restorations

Ok, You sparked my interest. Tell us more about what is included

I have developed a replacement torsion bar frame support. It allows you to retain the torsion bar front suspension, while giving room to install a T-56 Magnum transmission in our A-bodies.
I have also developed the transmission support and mount.
I have lots of pictures and an installation guide on Facebook.
Search ToddRon Restorations
The specs on the transmission are available on the Internet.
This is the aftermarket version of the transmission that is used in the VIPER, as well as the ZR-1 Corvette, just to name a few.
It is capable of handling 700 ft-lbs. of torque, and has a wonderful gear ratio.
This is the best upgrade for our MOPARS, that allows us to have great acceleration, and still be able to actually cruise on the road utilizing 2 overdrives.
Super slick shifting is just one of the wonderful characteristics.
These transmissions and bellhousings etc, are available from Summit Racing, as well as from great people such as Gray at American Powertrain.
My kit was a feature in MOPAR MUSCLE, May 2013.
PLEASE ask any questions.... I will be happy to help any way possible.
My kit runs $799.... I am trying to get a big enough order to lower the manufacturing cost per kit.... I will then realign the price as much as possible.
I believe, with enough additional interest, I can get the cost down to $699 plus shipping. Thank you very much for your interest!!!

Todd Johnson
ToddRon Restorations

I have gotten enough interest to be able to offer these for $699... If I get more interest for another 10, I will try to get it even lower. Would $650 generate more interest??
Please give me some feedback.

Is it possible to sticky this for a week or so?? Thank you for your consideration.

Todd

ToddRon Restorations

Highly interested. Will most likely hit you up in early October. Want to do this to a future 64 Valiant project. Do all T56 mount the same? I was wondering if the Magnum for the ford mounts the same as the GM or mopar as far as the kit is concerned, I understand the bellhousing are different? I am considering a 5.7 hemi or LS1 engine for this project and was wondering if your kit is universal..

There are slight differences in the various t-56 models. They SHOULD all work, but I only KNOW that the Ford one will. Either way, I think someone could make minor adjustments and it should work. I hope this helps. Thanks for your interest. Todd

My kit runs $799.... I am trying to get a big enough order to lower the manufacturing cost per kit.... I will then realign the price as much as possible.
I believe, with enough additional interest, I can get the cost down to $699 plus shipping. Thank you very much for your interest!!!

what exactly comes with your kit?

The kit I offer includes the top torsion bar frame support, that would be welded into the car, also the lower mount.... A set of spacers (required due to the additional size of the MAGNUM), and the nuts, bolts and washers to install these parts.
There are several good pictures, and an installation guide on our Facebook page.
Search ToddRon Restorations.
Thanks for your interest. My new batch should be complete today or tomorrow.

would this kit work on a car with a alterkation style front end ?

As long as most of the horizontal part of the torsion bar frame still remains in the car (so the lower mount has area to bolt to the car similar to how the factory trans mount did), yes this would work.
Thanks!!!

Todd

The kit I offer includes the top torsion bar frame support, that would be welded into the car, also the lower mount.... A set of spacers (required due to the additional size of the MAGNUM), and the nuts, bolts and washers to install these parts.
There are several good pictures, and an installation guide on our Facebook page.
Search ToddRon Restorations.
Thanks for your interest. My new batch should be complete today or tomorrow.

So all it supplies is the upper and Lower cross members pieces, trans mount and the nuts and bolts for $700 ?

Ummmm. Yes.... That is ALL it consists of for $700. How much was that alterkation front end.... It's just some steel pieces with some spindles.
Todd

So all it supplies is the upper and Lower cross members pieces, trans mount and the nuts and bolts for $700 ?

Ummmm. Yes.... That is ALL it consists of for $700. How much was that alterkation front end.... It's just some steel pieces with some spindles.
Todd

Maybe he should price out some 1/4" A-36 plate, having it cut, jig made for it, welding... see if he can build just one and come out ahead.

I love the question where someone asked if you really had to use Carbon steel... steel by definition contains Carbon... not everyone is an engineer or has a metallurgy background I guess. Anyway, there are different varieties and standards. A-36 is construction grade low carbon steel. Good "general" stuff. Easy to work with and weld.

Exactly... The first couple of these cost me over $1000 each!!! All because I wanted to share this upgrade with others and help bring our old MOPARS into the 21st century.
Well.... I took a few of my new parts to the powdercoat place. I am supposed to get them back Tuesday or Wednesday. Just FYI!!

Todd

holy cow it was a freaking question mr. overly sensitive.

as far as the alter-k goes there genius, it does come with a few more parts than just the k-frame and spindles. but you know that don't you.

Oh please... Who is overly sensitive??? I didn't feel the need to "NAMECALL"!! I simply answered your question that started with "So all it supplies is...." which was your attempt at an insult. Sorry to disappoint you,... I laughed!!
Yes, I know exactly what is included in the Alterkation.

Let's just all act like adults. If I offended you, that was certainly not my intention.
I am making these parts solely to enable others to enjoy this transmission and it's ability to enhance our cars. We are all on the same team. Please accept my apology.

Let's just all act like adults. If I offended you, that was certainly not my intention.
I am making these parts solely to enable others to enjoy this transmission and it's ability to enhance our cars. We are all on the same team. Please accept my apology.
Most guys that build these cars to the level of putting in a six speed trans, are more than able to build a transmission mount, and modify the upper section.....without needing to drop 700.00...check the build threads here....just sayin......

Most guys that build these cars to the level of putting in a six speed trans, are more than able to build a transmission mount, and modify the upper section.....without needing to drop 700.00...check the build threads here....just sayin......

Yep, no doubt. I'm sure I could build a template, cut the plate with the plasma, weld it all together... but, I work more than a full time job, have three small children, and very little time. I have experience with stick, MIG and TIG. I have even done a little programming and used to run a CNC plasma cutter at one of my previous employers. Raw materials probably run $300 or so, add in the cutting, the welding, and such. My time is worth a bit also... so add it up and I say it is a wash. If you spent a week sorting out the details and fabricating the mount and other pieces what cost would you attribute to that? Now, if you have very little cash and a lot of time, or just enjoy the challenge, then no problem, eh. Obviously there is a bit of a niche, he has sold a few already. I want to get this car through the body shop in the next few months and start assembling the car early next year. Compressing the schedule has its costs! Fortunately I have some money saved up and momma wants the project moving forward. Definitely a good combination of events that I can't pass up.

I don't understand why certain people always feel the need to post negative comments towards what some members are trying to do here. Todd is offering a solution to install a great trans in our old A bodies. I think it's great that he is offering this to us. Not all of us have the skills or tools to make these parts on our own. Those of you who do, will probably make their own. Great. Those of us that can't, love the fact that there are a few members here that go out of their way to help out other fellow Mopar enthusiasts. We drive Mopars, so we are used to paying more for parts than the Ford and Chevy guys. I don't think that $700 is that expensive when you take into consideration the time and effort that probably went into this. Please keep your negative comments to yourself. It's getting old.

Graeme

I will say Thank you!!
I have sold all that I have made so far. The feedback I have gotten from my customers have been great. A project that could easily take a week or more,... with lots of head scratching... is quite a bit easier and quicker using the parts that I am offering.
Are there other ways to do it?? Absolutely.... some even run with the center of the upper torsion bar frame support eliminated....
Will it work?? Maybe... but for how long.
If maybe is good enough... then cool. I am certainly not too worried about it.
I have had calls from all over the continent, asking to be put on the list, when I finish the E-body version. Maybe this is why so many manufacturers don't bother with making stuff for the A-bodies. They are my favorite. I love so many things about them, but I am seeing that there is not near the opportunity for profit in them. Of course the E-body mount will be simple compared to the A-body, so they will be some cheaper I suspect.

None the less.... thanks for the interest (for the people that have contacted me), and thanks for the understanding (for the people who are not interested in these parts).

Todd
ToddRon Restorations

I don't understand why certain people always feel the need to post negative comments towards what some members are trying to do here. Todd is offering a solution to install a great trans in our old A bodies. I think it's great that he is offering this to us. Not all of us have the skills or tools to make these parts on our own. Those of you who do, will probably make their own. Great. Those of us that can't, love the fact that there are a few members here that go out of their way to help out other fellow Mopar enthusiasts. We drive Mopars, so we are used to paying more for parts than the Ford and Chevy guys. I don't think that $700 is that expensive when you take into consideration the time and effort that probably went into this. Please keep your negative comments to yourself. It's getting old.

Graeme

-
Back