t5 trans swap?

-
for a mild 340 have you ever considered a dakota 5 speed swap ??i seen it done recently on a small block mopar powered 1937 plymouth street rod,, very intresting conversion,,

Ive never heard about that swap before...Where can i find out more about it? What kind of transmission does the dakota have? and how are the gear ratios? The 340 i have is only mild for now, but later on it should be somewhere in the 12's/11's (someday) so would the dakota tranny swap be worth it for me in the long term if plans are for more power?

Some pics of shifter locaton and hyd clutch master on t-5 swap.

jscarpics061.jpg

jscarpics060.jpg

jscarpics059.jpg

jscarpics057.jpg

jscarpics056.jpg

jscarpics055.jpg

I took a rough measurement from the seam sealer at the foward part of the tunnel back to the center of shifter handle;roughly 18.5".The stick I'm using is 8" with a 4"sweep puting the shifter ball approx 22.5-23.0" back from that seam.
jscarpics058.jpg

jscarpics047.jpg

jscarpics046.jpg

well since the dakota never came with any hi po motor option,,except the 5.9 R/T.. and as far as i know those were all automatics,,

if your seriously going to build the 340 i wouldnt consider the dakota trans swap,,,im highly considering it for my street rod,,,

i have read some place that the dakota,and some toyotas use the same gear box,built by a company called new process,,, that is the same company that build ALL the factory mopar 3 and 4 spped nboxes back in thre day of our cars,,

for a mild 318/340/360 that is just a cruise nite car,,beat on it once in a while i would think the dakota tranny would be fine,,but i dont think ide put that tranny in a car with a pair of slicks or drag radials,,

maybe some one at a reliable trans shop could tell you more on the strength of the dakota box,,

but for a mild application,,,its an easy conversion,, you will need the dakots trans,,the dakota bell housing, the brake/clutch pedal assembly from a donor truck,,

the reason you need the dakota bell housing is,, the trans bolts to the bell from the inside,,and has no cut out for a fork,thats why you need the pedal assmebly,,
when you mount the dakota pedal assembly to your car,,all you need to do is get a new hyd master cylinder,,it just mounts to a twist and turn locking hole on the pedal assmebly,,mount you remote resoviour,,,and its done,, all factory settings of thge throw out bearing,and pedal ratios are maintained,,

simple deal, piece of cake,,would be great in a 273 318 340 360 A body,

G MACHINE,, shifter location looks perfect,,what bell housing did you use and what is that box out of ??

The bell is a Quick Time conversion bell,sb mopar to tremec/t-5.
The box is a ford motorsport t-5 that would fit a mustang 5.0

justin

koool man,, did you buy the box new or find it used some place ??? any idea of the first and fifth gear ratios ??? lets hear how it is working out

barely used on ebay

The "Z" Spec T-5
In 1993 Ford started offering a new service unit to the motorsport crowd. The "Z" spec T-5 (Ford part number 7003Z, also sometimes referred to as "World Class T-5". Most folks, associate the term "World Class" as meaning the best, however world class T-5 were introduced in 1985 as stated ealier. The T-5z is a 1993 Cobra T-5 with 2.95 first gear set and .63 over drive. It has the best of everything. Hardened gears, short throw factory shifter, steel front bearing retainer, and tapered output shaft bearing ands a seven tooth speedometer gear. Best of all it has a torque rating of 330ft/lbs based on 100,000 mile usage. The stock T-5Z can handle up to 450 hp when not drag raced.

well since i dont beat on my car,,thats a tempting tranny,,, is it the same bolt pattern as the ford tremec TKO ? do you know?? from your pic it appears it fit the tunnel better then a TKO,,, thanks for the info,,,nice deal u have there

it is the same bolt pattern as the TKO from what i know. Gray from american powertrain can answer your questions on that. I think if you wanted to convert from a t5 to TKO only thing that is different was pressure plate or flywheel...i cant remember but something like that...they interchange well, making the TKO a good growing tranny if the t5 doesnt work out

it is the same bolt pattern as the TKO from what i know.

T5 is a different bolt pattern than the TKO. Many bellhousings do both, but they are different.

Another place that does a lot of Tremec/T5 swapping is

http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/

Though they mostly do Ford stuff, but they build some good T5s.

If you buy a T-5 from them, check into getting a .59 OD ratio. You can run 4.10 gears and keep RPMS at just over 2000 at 70 mph with a 26" tire.

Steve

hey steve,

i assumed because the bellhousing work for both...i stand corrected...thanks for clarifying that

thanks,, i have a QUICK TIME bell housing/scattershield that is suppost to be for the tremec TKO FORD pattern,,but it also has the mopar trans bolt pattern,,weird that the ford would have 2 different tremec patterns,,,im just hoping that QUICK TIME did send me the TKO pattern now knowing the T-5 and TKO are different,,,my luck its not LOL.. i was planning on a TKO in the very near future,,it is the FIRST mopar/ford to smal block mopar scatter shield that QUICK TIME made,,after deleting the bell housing from the mopar listings,,gray told me he didnt think the T5 would be any benfit for me,, by the time they build a T5 to hold up i should just get a TKO,,,i was intrested in it because it appers it fit your car with out a lot of tunnel work and may be a litttle cheaper on the pocket,, thanks for the info

thanks,, i have a QUICK TIME bell housing/scattershield that is suppost to be for the tremec TKO FORD pattern,,but it also has the mopar trans bolt pattern,,weird that the ford would have 2 different tremec patterns,,,im just hoping that QUICK TIME did send me the TKO pattern now knowing the T-5 and TKO are different,,,my luck its not LOL.. i was planning on a TKO in the very near future,,it is the FIRST mopar/ford to smal block mopar scatter shield that QUICK TIME made,,after deleting the bell housing from the mopar listings,,gray told me he didnt think the T5 would be any benfit for me,, by the time they build a T5 to hold up i should just get a TKO,,,i was intrested in it because it appers it fit your car with out a lot of tunnel work and may be a litttle cheaper on the pocket,, thanks for the info

this is the bell I have;

RM-6071 MOPAR 318/360 Bellhousing/Ford TKO 500-600/T5 Mustang/TR3550 - NEW!

Height = 7.300"
Trans. Bore Ø = Universal 4.850/4.910/4.685
Engine = Mopar 318/360
Trans. = Universal Ford TKO 500-600/T5 Mustang/TR3550
Clutch Ø = 10.5"
Flywheel = 130 tooth
Weight = 22#
Fork bracket, full engine plate, and grade 8 bolts included

I think it is less tunnel work than the tremec,I still had to cut out the upper section of the t-bar c/m .Id like to try and reinforce that somehow.I will be welding the tbcm to the floor to try and tie it in a little better.I also have subframe conn's.,so this might also help strengthen that area.
As far as cost is concerned ,it is cheaper for me "right now".I think I paid $900 for the trans to my door off ebay ,supposedly barely used for mock up purposes.Everything looks ok but havnt actually used it yet.Any way if the t-5 doesnt hold up than it wont be cheaper,so you might say im taking a "risk".Even though the t-5 isnt the strongest thing out there,I d0 like the fact that its a pretty compact,light weight and a very good /smooth shifting trans.Its all experimental for me at this point,this is the way i decided to go and i'll let it play out and see what happens.Hopefully it will be ok.
Have you checked out this kit;
http://www.classicmopar5speed.com/1967-76-A-Body-Kit-Select.aspx

justin

LOOKING GREAT,, thanks for all the pics,,i believe thats the same QUICK TIME bell i have,,,and if so that makes it the same bolt pattern as the TKO/T-5 and its a dual pattern,also fits the mopar tranny,,nice compact bell fro a A body,,ill check my number but im sure thats it,,only problem looks like the speed O cable,,wil be intresting to see if you can get that hooked to the tranny,,,cant wait to hear about how it works,,thanks again,ill look forward to hearing more from you,,

the swap is looking great! i just found a t5 for cheap nearby me so im pondering with doing the swap again...my main concern is that quicktime bellhousing...its soo god dang expensive...does anybody know of where i can get one for a really good price or a deal on a used one for mopar sb to t5? if i could save money on that one part id definatly have enough to finish off the rest of the swap

LOOKING GREAT,, thanks for all the pics,,i believe thats the same QUICK TIME bell i have,,,and if so that makes it the same bolt pattern as the TKO/T-5 and its a dual pattern,also fits the mopar tranny,,nice compact bell fro a A body,,ill check my number but im sure thats it,,only problem looks like the speed O cable,,wil be intresting to see if you can get that hooked to the tranny,,,cant wait to hear about how it works,,thanks again,ill look forward to hearing more from you,,

I probably wont be using the speedo adapter seen in the pics because of the girth of the hex nut on the factory cable. I will probably measure for another cable to be routed through the interior under the carpet and have speedometer solutions make me a fresh cable with the much more compact ford end on it.

justin

might sound like a stupid question, but how would you go about using a mechanical linkage instead of a hydraulic one? I would be getting a T5 from a complete 5.0 mustang, which to my knowledge has a cable operated clutch instead of mechanical or hydraulic (or is that mechanical?) Also, what kind of pedals would i use if i wanted to go the mechanical linkage route- the mustang pedals or the mopar 4 speed pedals? is it possible to go cable clutch pedal using the mopar pedals or mustang pedals in an abody?

when you get that cable made post a pic please i didnt realize it was an adapter,ill have to go back and look at it again,,,

it may be hard to find a used quick time right now,,they are very new to the market,,most speed shops dont even know they exsisit,, i didnt think the quick time was expensive at all for what you get,,it appears to fit the A body very well,,where a lake wood doent fit and early A to good,, i currently have a out of production brand scatter shield in my early A the name is ansen,hard to find these days,but were made to fit the cars of that era,,,

you can also get a bell housing that is made to mate the ford tremec to your mopar,,a few companies sell them now,keislier,classic 5 speed, american power train,i hope that name is correct,,

as for the style you choose,,if you can adapt a set of mustang pedals to work in your car,, the cable would work great,i considered it,,

but you can use a set of mopar pedals with a bel housing and use standard linkage or use a regular fork and throw out bearing and a hyd slave cylinder like i did,its all up to your choice, size of your wallet,and your ability to adapt parts,

plenty of guys on this site can help you out with information of an install,,

Id like to keep it cable if i could as it would really cheapen the install for me....if i was able to use the mopar 4 speed pedal and mechanical linkage to work as well that would be good too since i already have those parts as well...i just want to avoid the hydraulic stuff as its extra money i dont want to spend...i have the whole mustang car with parts available, so i need to know if its worth it to take the pedals from it as well and have them work with a cable, or if i have to use mopar 4 speed pedals instead and work something out that way

well which ever bel housing you choose it wil be set up for the stock mopar clutch fork pivot,,so using the factory mopar linkage is easy,,just make sure you have clearance if you are running headers,,as some headers DO NOT clear the factory clutch linkage in all body styles,,then going to a hyd slave cylinder is your easiest and cheapest choice,,,

as for the mustang parts car,,ide remove all the pedal assembly,,and related cable parts,,advertise them on craigs list or a ford site,,some one wanting to convert a ford to a stick car would want those parts,,,i had considered geting a set and making it work im my b cuda,,the cable seems intresting,,and cheaper then going with any hyd stuff,,but i went with a factory fork,,and hyd slave cylinder,, it works fine,,was less then 100 bucks in parts from speed way motors hot rod supply,,

good luck

so if i go with the mopar 4 speed linkage and pedals, all i have to buy is a hydraulic slave master cylinder? do i need a hydraulic throwout bearing as well? how come i need to use hyrdaulics anyways if im going to use a mechanical linkage? sorry if it sounds like a stupid question...not exactly familiar with how the parts work or what they look like...like i said the cable route does seem easiest, and it seems cheapest too- if i can make the mustang pedals work in the mopar then i will, and if i can make the mopar pedals work cable wise that would be great too, but id like to know my options

the only reason you would need to go to hyd,is if your headers were in the way of the factory linkage,,if there is plenty of clearance,, use the factory linkage,,

the mustang pedals mount totallly differsnt then the mopar pedals,,but not impossible to make them work,,,would be a kool deal wit hthe cable clutch..

but if you have all the correct factory linkage for your car,and dont have any headers clearance issues,,,use the factory stuff,,

so as long as i use headers that would clear the factory mopar 4 speed linkage, i can use the mopar 4 speed linkage and pedals with a t5? thats a wicked deal if i can do that...how come you decided to go hyrdaulic? was it because your headers wouldnt clear the linkage? and what kind of headers re you running may i ask? thanks for the help so far

yes if your headers clear every thing use the factory linkage,,

i went with hyd because i have big tube custom headers,,and the early 1963 to 1966 factory stuff is week,,needing to be upgraded to hold up with a heavy clutch,,,

passing this along,,, QUICK TIME IS HAVING A CLEARANCE,,on a ton of bel housing,,mopar to mopar mopar to tremec,,these were made before they went to al sfi approved,,,,

-
Back