t5 trans swap?

-
they only have 12 left i think (i saw it on there clearance section of the site)...where i can get them from? straight from them? I saw your replies about it on a thread on bbd.com and tried messaging and emailing that guy (i think 66dart or something his name was) and he never got back to me...The non sfi approved one is a great way to save money especially for a street car

Well spent the whole day in the junkyard yesterday pulling a T5 out of a 90 mustang...i also got the shifter, bellhousing, clutch and flywheel...Can the stock mustang flywheel work with the conversion bell? I called quicktime and sure enough they still have th 12 non sfi approved mopar bells available, so i plan on tearing apart this tranny pretty soon to see whats going on inside...if everything looks good or it only needs a mild rebuild i will be ordering my quicktime bell and go ahead with the conversion...I have all the 4 speed mopar clutch linkage stuff, so im going to try to get it to work, and if that fails (which i hope it doesnt) im going to have to go the hyrdaulic slave route...best part about all this is that i got the tranny for a good price (most sell for triple what i payed) which allows me to spend money on upgrading it =)

glad to hear you gto a deal on a tranny,,pics please,,,,,and no the mustang flywheel wont work on your mopar,,you need the corect fly wheel for your motor,,which is what ??,, i would get the quick time ordered,,once this info gets out many guys may buy them just to have them laying around,,,good luck keep us posted a lot of guys here can help,,,with info and pics

Hey fstfish66, i dont have any pics of the tranny yet...I just pulled apart the case yesterday to make sure everything inside looked good, and everything is fine, so i will be ordering the quicktime shield today hopefully...I called last week on tuesday and they said they still have 12 left, so im hoping they still have a few....Now really isnt the greatest time for a canadian like me to buy, but i know they are gonna be gone soon, which is why i opened the tranny as soon as possible, to figure out if im keeping it or not....The motor i have is a 340 (i used to have a signature that said, but somehow that disappeared lol), so i guess im going to sell the mustang flywheel too- hopefully i can get something for it even though it needs to be resurfaced...So what flywheel would i need? i just want a oem replacement style, as i dont have the money to drop on an aluminum one...When i get out the flywheel to take some pics for a sale ad, ill snap some pics of the tranny as well...I have to say having a full donor car was the best way to do it...ill be posting in this thread again soon...thanks for the help so far

well providing you have a steel crank 340, some 1973 340 motors were cast,,a steeel crank fly wheel from a 340 or a 318 will work,,a 273 fly wheel is to small,,dont get a fly wheel from a modern 5.2 ( 318 ) or a 5.9 ( 360 ) they are balanced differently,,,

try to find a used factory 318/340/383 fly wheel make sure its for a 10 1/2 inch clutch,some 380 had 10 1/2 im not sure if any 440 came with a 10 1/2

look on moparts.com or buy a new one from mancini,brewers, maybe summit or jegs,,just get the quick time before they are gone,,, good luck keep us posted on your conversion

theres a place around me that can get me a used one resurfaced for abotu 150 bucks, so i think ill go that route, but if i cant find anything i will definatly look in those areas....the swap wont be happening until summer since the car is still awaiting paint and reassembly, but as things i progress i will keep this thread updated....has justin (gmachinedart) made any progress? keep us posted to Justin

i dont know if 150 is that good of a deal,,and who stocks older fly wheels?? put a wanted add on this site,,and on moparts,,see what kind of prices you get,,i sold one a year ago or so for 60 bucks,,it needed to be resurfaced,,

There a mopar only parts place national moparts (they have website) in beaverton ontario, which isnt too far from me...I can try looking for a used one here in canada, but its just not worth it for to buy from the states for me...the exchange rate is horrible, and by the time i ship it home it will probably cost just as much to buy it here in canada...i just ordered my quicktime non sfi approved bell yesterday, so im one step closer to actually getting the swap done...I guess i will post a wanted ad for a flywheel on here and see what i can find

what is it costing to get the quick time shipped to canada ?? i sold a guy a old stylre ansen scatter shield for a big block for 220 bucks,, and it cost the same to ship it to canada..he wanted fed ex so thats what he got the us post office would of done it for 125.00 2 day delivery

im shipping it usps to a business 3 minutes from the niagara border in new york...my cousin is ordering wheels for his vette and hes going to pick them up from the same place, so we are going to go together to pick it up..to get it to my door would have cost 80 US plus taxes and duty, whereas im only paying 34 bucks US to ship it to this business (cbiusa.com) they charge 5 bucks to hold the box, then taxes at the border and a tank of gas...should work out to be around 400 bucks give or take, which is better than paying around 650 for the sfi approved one here....here are some pictures of the T5 i picked up (the orange silicone is all me and my dad had to reseal the case)...Going to start looking for a flywheel once i sell off the other mustang parts to make cash...In regards to a clutch, do i need a mustang or mopar clutch (ive probably already asked this but now im not sure because of the whole flywheel thing)

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

i dont understand that duty thing you have to deal with,,,how can it cost almost 400 bucks,,,geez explain it to me,,,i think i wana know lol

as for the clutch,, you need the correct fly wheel for the mopar,,you also need to figure out what type of input shaft bushing you are going to need,,and that depends on the length of that trannys input shaft, as to how far it goes in to the crank shaft,and if your crank shaft is drilled for a pilot bushing,,there are ways around it if it is not drilled,,

then you will need the correct clutch disc for the transmision input shaft,, i believe it is a 26 spline,, just count yours,,find a clutch supplier,,,like zoom or center force,, tell them you need a mopar pressure plate and a ford t5 disc,

yea the whole duty thing puzzles me as well...Its not 400 dollars for the duty, what i meant was it will probably come out to around 400 total...duty is such bullshit, im not even sure what its for (besides taking more of your money)....In regards to the clutch, i will have to buy the peices seperate then i guess...a ford clutch disc and the mopar pressure plate...I have a 69 340 block, and im not sure if its drilled for a pilot bushing, but isnt there some adapter you can buy from napa or something for like 20 bucks? i remember reading it somewhere in another thread i think...I still have to measure the length of the tranny input shaft, but i know that the ford world class t5's from 1990 have a 10 spline input shaft...Atleast im headed in the right track now....It seems like you and Justin both know quite a bit about the swap, so i take it if need more help as the time comes closer for me to do the swap i can ask you guys questions =)....thanks so far

there is a bushing/bearing that goes in the part of the crank where the torque would go in an auto and you wil probably need to use that,im guessing the ford tranny input shaft is too short to go all the way in the crank like a mopar tranny,,,

to tell you the truth,the ford pressure plate may be the same bolt patern as the mopar,,,check with who evers clutch you decide to use they wil know,,

Justin (gmachinedart) who is doing the swap should know about the input shaft issue. I guess ill have to message him or see if he chimes in on here about that...in regards to the pressure plate, when it comes time to order the clutch, ill have to figure all that out.

Justin (gmachinedart) who is doing the swap should know about the input shaft issue. I guess ill have to message him or see if he chimes in on here about that...in regards to the pressure plate, when it comes time to order the clutch, ill have to figure all that out.

Ok, this is what I did and it should work for you too.Get Item# newitem29870999 (pictured in mancini link)from mancini or your local mopar dealer,then you need to purchase a roller brng for say a 1989 mustang gt 5.0L from local ford dealer or napa,atozone etc.You will then need to press the brng inserts out of both assys and press the ford brng into the mopar holder. Cheap and pretty easy,hope this helps you out.

justin

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/pilotbearing.html
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...umber=B65174&Description=Clutch+Pilot+Bearing

yea the whole duty thing puzzles me as well...Its not 400 dollars for the duty, what i meant was it will probably come out to around 400 total...duty is such bullshit, im not even sure what its for (besides taking more of your money)....In regards to the clutch, i will have to buy the peices seperate then i guess...a ford clutch disc and the mopar pressure plate...I have a 69 340 block, and im not sure if its drilled for a pilot bushing, but isnt there some adapter you can buy from napa or something for like 20 bucks? i remember reading it somewhere in another thread i think...I still have to measure the length of the tranny input shaft, but i know that the ford world class t5's from 1990 have a 10 spline input shaft...Atleast im headed in the right track now....It seems like you and Justin both know quite a bit about the swap, so i take it if need more help as the time comes closer for me to do the swap i can ask you guys questions =)....thanks so far

You are correct ,you will need a 10.5" ford 10 spline disk.As far as the p/p is concerned it depends on what type of throwout brng/linkage setup you decide to use.I had to use a GM p/p for a hyd brng application because the hyd brng dictated it ,but if you go with the std mechanical brng you can use a std mopar p/p.

justin

Hey Justin,
thanks for the part numbers and swap advice regarding the bearings and clutch stuff....I am using the mopar mechanical linkage, so im going to need mopar flywheel and pressure plate with the ford clutch disc...im very excited about doing this swap and hope it works out the way i plan it to...Hows your swap coming along? any progress as of late? I think maybe the mods should sticky this thread for anyone who is interested in the 5 speed stuff...just a thought

You are correct ,you will need a 10.5" ford 10 spline disk.As far as the p/p is concerned it depends on what type of throwout brng/linkage setup you decide to use.I had to use a GM p/p for a hyd brng application because the hyd brng dictated it ,but if you go with the std mechanical brng you can use a std mopar p/p.

justin

hey justin, got my quicktime bellhousing (the clearance one thats non sfi approved) and after some worrying about whether or not it will work with the mopar mechanical linkage, i found out it will...im starting to understand this swap alot better now...How is your swap coming along? any progress as of late? pics?..I have another question- i think fstfish66 mentioned this earlier in the thread, but since im going to be using mopar mechanical clutch linkage with mopar flywheel and pressure plate and ford disk, what kind of throwout bearing would i use? would it be a mopar one or a ford one? I think it was said that i could use the mopar throwout bearing, but i wanted to double check that...I think im going to look into the Mcleod stuff for clutch and flywheel, since they came back under their old management and are lowering their prices considerably.

since you are using the mopar factory linkage,,,you will be using the factory fork,,that meens you will use a mopar style throw out bearing,, you can get that at many places,,,local auto parts,mc leod, center force,,etc,,

since you are using the mopar factory linkage,,,you will be using the factory fork,,that meens you will use a mopar style throw out bearing,, you can get that at many places,,,local auto parts,mc leod, center force,,etc,,

will that factory throwout bearing fit over the input shaft of the t5 properly?

well i was thinking the same thing last night while at work,,,if you have the
T 5 measure the diameter of that input or the shaft on the bearing retainer,,,and e mail me ill measure the inside of a mopar throw out bearing for you,, make sure you measure the bearing retainer,,,area,, but i think it must fit others have done it already,, e mail me

[email protected]

hey fstfish thanks, i will email you the spec when i get a chance to go measure it, which should be soon...thanks again for all the help!

hey justin, got my quicktime bellhousing (the clearance one thats non sfi approved) and after some worrying about whether or not it will work with the mopar mechanical linkage, i found out it will...im starting to understand this swap alot better now...How is your swap coming along? any progress as of late? pics?..I have another question- i think fstfish66 mentioned this earlier in the thread, but since im going to be using mopar mechanical clutch linkage with mopar flywheel and pressure plate and ford disk, what kind of throwout bearing would i use? would it be a mopar one or a ford one? I think it was said that i could use the mopar throwout bearing, but i wanted to double check that...I think im going to look into the Mcleod stuff for clutch and flywheel, since they came back under their old management and are lowering their prices considerably.

Sorry,no progress.As far as the t/o brng and fork situation I cant give you much there either.I think I did ask the owner of quicktime about that when I first started looking into the swap.IIRC I didnt get much of a concrete answer from him.I believe he said ford t/o brng and late 60's big block ford fork.I think you are on the right track with your r&d though.Good luck.

justin

is there anyhwere else good to get the conversion bellhousing? i found a t5 for $250 and the quicktime housing is $480. i dont have that much to work with lol. i have a hydrolic bellhousing for a newer dodge. would there be any way to make that work with the t5? and would anyone like to buy the a833 tranny and linkages and shifter box outta the scamp so i can do the t5?

-
Back