T56 to a 318

-

Shane65

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A friend of mine has a t56 he's selling out of his 2007 Z06 corvette. I've been wanting to swap my automatic 1968 barracuda over to manual.. So this could work out perfect..

I found a few threads on the T56, but none that were exactly my setup.. anyone have any knowledge on this? Besides having to cut my floor, will I have any issues hooking a gm t56 to my 318?

Won't work. Z06 Corvette T56 attaches to a transaxle.

dqpsh.jpg

Greg

The Z06 T56 does not have a tail housing to connect to a drive shaft yoke.

You can make a vette t56 work it seems, at the core it's the same, depending on how cheap up you get it for, could possibly convert it to work for $500 in parts, or this would convert it to GM f-body trans. ?,I was eyeballing a rebuildable vette junkyard core for $350, hotrod did this write up
Everything You Need to Know About Selecting a T56 for Your GM Project
Negative ghostrider. the Vette one would need about 2000 in parts. You need everything from the midplate back, including new mainshaft which is 450 to $1000 alone. Tail shaft case is another 400, then you're taking the correct shift rails and forks, plus the shift itself.

Bummer, thought I'd found an affordable work around. Thanks for your help Greg!
When it comes to the T56, TR6060, there is no "affordable work around". With you having a small block, by far the absolute cheapest option for you is to find a TR6060 out of a hemi challenger The 3rd gen hemi has the same bellhousing pattern as the LA blocks so it bolts right together.

Anything from GM or Ford would require an aftermarket bellhousing, which is another 600-900 bucks. ontop of the trans. and that's IF you don't have to swap midplates and inputs, which is another 500.

When it comes to the T56, TR6060, there is no "affordable work around". With you having a small block, by far the absolute cheapest option for you is to find a TR6060 out of a hemi challenger The 3rd gen hemi has the same bellhousing pattern as the LA blocks so it bolts right together.

Anything from GM or Ford would require an aftermarket bellhousing, which is another 600-900 bucks. ontop of the trans. and that's IF you don't have to swap midplates and inputs, which is another 500.

Uh, doesn’t the 3rd gen Hemi bell housing put the starter on the passenger side? That’s not an easy problem to overcome.

Uh, doesn’t the 3rd gen Hemi bell housing put the starter on the passenger side? That’s not an easy problem to overcome.
Starter is on the drivers side. At least for the 5.7. I literally just replaced the one on my wife’s Durango 2 weeks ago.

Starter is on the drivers side. At least for the 5.7. I literally just replaced the one on my wife’s Durango 2 weeks ago.

Looks like we both are right. The 3rd hemis come in two versions, starter can be on either side depending on application and transmission. Cars are on the passenger side, suvs and trucks on the drivers side.

Looks like we both are right. The 3rd hemis come in two versions, starter can be on either side depending on application and transmission. Cars are on the passenger side, suvs and trucks on the drivers side.

Exactly. Find a bell for a 3rd gen hemi with a TR6060 that has it on the drivers side. There's a reason you haven't seen a single T56 swap on here that used a factory bellhousing to an LA engine.
s-l1600-1.jpg

4507.jpg

So... you need truck parts for the swap, not car parts, correct?

The problem is none of the trucks or SUV’s came with T56’s or TR6060’s.

The only exception is the 2004-2006 SRT10 Ram. But it had a V10, and like the Viper bell it doesn’t work for an LA.

Vipers and Challengers are the only factory Mopar sources for T56’s or TR6060’s. And neither of those bells work for an LA engine.

-
Back