Tail Lights Not Turning on

-

MeucciGarage

Mopars Unlimited Seattle
Reaction score
So im a little lost as to why my tail lights on my 76 duster on working. i have replaced the fuse (#8 ) and put all new bulbs in. when i turn on my headlight switch they my regular tail lights wont turn on.my turn signals work as well as my brake lights. anybody have ideas, fixes, or experiences?:prayer:

Clean the sockets to ensure you have a clean ground is your first step. If all is well, there's a bulk connector in the trunk, find which wire is which and check for voltage (test light). You can also check if you have 12volt constant in the socket when your driving lights are on, if you do, its grounding. It's amazing what poor grounding can affect.

Have you checked the sockets with a test light or is your diagnosis procedure just throwin parts on it?

Clean the sockets to ensure you have a clean ground is your first step. If all is well, there's a bulk connector in the trunk, find which wire is which and check for voltage (test light). You can also check if you have 12volt constant in the socket when your driving lights are on, if you do, its grounding. It's amazing what poor grounding can affect.

the sockets are clean and i will double check the bulk connector my uncle borrowed our test light and meter for his charger that was having a problem im getting them back tomorow. thank you.

Have you checked the sockets with a test light or is your diagnosis procedure just throwin parts on it?

my uncle borrowed our test light and meter for his charger that was having a problem im getting them back tomorow. i got a new box of fuses for christmas and we had extra bulbs for our motohome (exact same ones ironically) so today it was since i had them at my disposal but like i said before my uncle had my test light and meter so i was un able to check. thank you for replying and for the test light suggestion. :)

Very common with these cars after they sit for a while. You changed the fuse, but did you clean the contact points of the fuse holder? Try jumping across the fuse with a wire and see what happens. Just went through this last week with a 73 Polara and then again with a 72 Swinger. Both times it was a touch of corrosion in the fuse holder tangs.

Very common with these cars after they sit for a while. You changed the fuse, but did you clean the contact points of the fuse holder? Try jumping across the fuse with a wire and see what happens. Just went through this last week with a 73 Polara and then again with a 72 Swinger. Both times it was a touch of corrosion in the fuse holder tangs.

^^^^^^^Xs2

There is also a connector under the carpet on the drivers side that goes to the rear lights right where the kick panel and floor meet that can get wet from a leaking wiper pivot seal and corrode or get broken.

There is also a connector under the carpet on the drivers side that goes to the rear lights right where the kick panel and floor meet that can get wet from a leaking wiper pivot seal and corrode or get broken.

^^^^ Xs2 - behind the kick panel.. good call

do front parking and side lights work?

If your horn does not work, then look at the fuse area. (And the horn could fail to work due to other issues, but it is worth a check as it shares that same fuse as the park/tail lights.)

It will help if the OP answers this question on the front parking lights. If the front parking lights do not work, then the problem is in the headlight switch or connections.

If the front parking lights and or front side marker lights do light up OK, then the problem is likely in the side panel connector or further back; look at the black wire on postion #3 of the kick panel connector. And check where that black wire come out of the headlight switch connector.

If the license plate or either rear side marker light works, then that shows that power is getting through the kick panel connector. In that case, look at the tail light sockets and their grounds. Also look at the junction of six black wires in the rear harness where the rear tail, side marker and license plate lights all come together with their common power feed wire from the kick panel connector.

Here is your car's wiring diagram; it is pretty easy to trace this circuit if you start at the yellow and black wires coming out of the same contact on the lower left corner of the "LIGHT SWITCH" (shown near the bottom of sheet 2). Edit to add: These wires come from a terminal marked 'P' on the body of the headligth switch.
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=28

If your horn does not work, then look at the fuse area. (And the horn could fail to work due to other issues, but it is worth a check as it shares that same fuse as the park/tail lights.)

It will help if the OP answers this question on the front parking lights. If the front parking lights do not work, then the problem is in the headlight switch or connections.

If the front parking lights and or front side marker lights do light up OK, then the problem is likely in the side panel connector or further back; look at the black wire on postion #3 of the kick panel connector. And check where that black wire come out of the headlight switch connector.

If the license plate or either rear side marker light works, then that shows that power is getting through the kick panel connector. In that case, look at the tail light sockets and their grounds. Also look at the junction of six black wires in the rear harness where the rear tail, side marker and license plate lights all come together with their common power feed wire from the kick panel connector.

Here is your car's wiring diagram; it is pretty easy to trace this circuit if you start at the yellow and black wires coming out of the same contact on the lower left corner of the "LIGHT SWITCH" (shown near the bottom of sheet 2).
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=28

Perfect :D

Some of those schematics are dead wrong on wire color. DAMHIK... :)

Look in an FSM!

Some of those schematics are dead wrong on wire color. DAMHIK... :)

Look in an FSM!

Hi Ron. Actually for 2-3 years there's a mistake in the FSM. The horn wire is switched with something else coming through the bulkhead connector. I always know it when I see it but can never remember what else is involved.

To the OP. Check out the headlight switch. Do the parking / front side markers work? you actually checked fuse power with the lights on? Do the dash lights work?

There's only so many things this can be. Tail and park come off the same light switch terminal They used to come off a separate "park" terminal but Ma moved 'em to the same (tail) terminal when manufacturers started bringing park and tail on and keeping them on with headlights.

Downloads:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

And same ones and more from here

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Double check for corrosion in fuse block, we have had a rash of it lately.

Good to have you back posting again Del :glasses7:

Hi Ron. Actually for 2-3 years there's a mistake in the FSM. The horn wire is switched with something else coming through the bulkhead connector. I always know it when I see it but can never remember what else is involved.

To the OP. Check out the headlight switch. Do the parking / front side markers work? you actually checked fuse power with the lights on? Do the dash lights work?

There's only so many things this can be. Tail and park come off the same light switch terminal They used to come off a separate "park" terminal but Ma moved 'em to the same (tail) terminal when manufacturers started bringing park and tail on and keeping them on with headlights.

Downloads:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

And same ones and more from here

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Yeah, I was afraid to ask..... thought maybe you got spirited off by aliens and I missed the announcement!

-
Back