tail pipes w/ mini tubs and relocated springs.

-

forced 340

Reaction score
anyone have tail pipes with mini tubs and the springs moved in with the stock gas tank? i really want to put tail pipe on my new project car but im not sure if they will fit with the spring moved in and mini tubs... i did it on my currant dart but i have a fuel cell in the trunk. im only planning on running 2.5'' pipes.. thanks guys!

Anything can be done, you just need to find a good exhaust fabricator. While it's a fairly daunting task for the average mechanic, a good exhaust guy can bend up anything you need (within reason). Tight placement with good solid exhaust hangars will go a long way.

I've also seen guys run a tight bend (or short sections of mandrel bends) below the axle tubes, which can be done on a two-post lift fairly easily, but only makes sense if the car is lowered. On a stock ride-height car, it is a bit out of the way, but can still be done if it is the only option.

Once the exhaust tubing is up over the axle, you can always follow the frame rail back as close to the rear spring mount as possible, then kick it out to the outside of the frame rails. It may look a little bit...well... Chevy, but it'll do the trick.

My car doesn't have the mini tubs but does have the springs relocated. I was able to run the TTI 2.5" tailpipes with minor modification to the pipes mostly the passenger side and making a new way to mount them. As was said above the pipes follow the frame so I don't think the mini tub will make much difference.

Here is some pictures in the thread below.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=187979&highlight=TTI+tire+rub

Think these were all 3" tail pipes....

Attachments

• cwvDm9asA3Lw9bM2Abl5etGLfA.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 681
  • Dartexhaust003.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 692
  • Dartexhaust004.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 707
  • Dartexhaust005.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 724
My car doesn't have the mini tubs but does have the springs relocated. I was able to run the TTI 2.5" tailpipes with minor modification to the pipes mostly the passenger side and making a new way to mount them. As was side above the pipes follow the frame so I don't think the mini tub will make much difference.

Here is some pictures in the thread below.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=187979&highlight=TTI+tire+rub

thanks a lot! how close is the inside of the tire to the pipe? if i mini tub it its going to have a 325/50-15 on it like my dart does now..

now that is a skilled pipe bender! thanks inkjunkie! 73swingerbuild was right! u just gotta find the right guy/shop!

now that is a skilled pipe bender! thanks inkjunkie! 73swingerbuild was right! u just gotta find the right guy/shop!
No problem. You might want to spend some time searching for post by oldmanmopar, he talked about trimming the tank down so the tail pipes fit. He posted a picture or two of it as well....

I dont have a mini tub but my springs are inbound on my duster and I'm running 275/60/15's, on my exhaust I used the summit 2.5@ dual header back kit and I rather then run in between the tank and springs like factory..... I kicked the exhaust out to run on the outsides of the springs, the exist doesn't exit in the factory location, couple inches outwits from factory on both sides but still looks good and worked good, no special bends or modifications needed.

I dont have a mini tub but my springs are inbound on my duster and I'm running 275/60/15's, on my exhaust I used the summit 2.5@ dual header back kit and I rather then run in between the tank and springs like factory..... I kicked the exhaust out to run on the outsides of the springs, the exist doesn't exit in the factory location, couple inches outwits from factory on both sides but still looks good and worked good, no special bends or modifications needed.
Pictures??

None on hand but I will try to take some tomorrow.

The only real issue with doing it this way is that I'm going to have to run a different exhaust tip than factory. I think the factory style exhaust tips being so long and large around might give me clearance issues with my leaf springs. I will most likely have to find someone that makes a factory style square tip that doesn't have such a long "barrel" to it. Hard to describe in written words, so hopefully your picking up what I'm putting down lol.

But being that I made no modifications or had to have any special pipes bent up.... I think I can deal with the tips exiting a little offset versus factory exit location.... And I can simply run shorter aftermarket exhaust tips.

Being that the summit exhuast system has a joint right above the rear axle rather than being one solid bend helped a lot, that's what allowed me to "kick the pipe out" just enough to run outside the springs, and I have good clearance everywhere.

Like I said, ill try to get some pictures tomorrow.

When I mini-tubbed the Dart, the guy who did my welding said he had a guy who was great at bending pipe. It turned out to be a nightmare. The first time he ran the tail pipes right where my 325/50s were gonna go, so I took them back. After I explained what we were trying to do, he cut those tail pipes off and tried again. This time when it came back he had beaten the **** out of my BRAND NEW shocks trying to get the pipes to fit, but they were wedged up against the frame rails. I made him take the car back a third time. The muffler guy finally got pissed and welded on some down turns to the back of the mufflers. He said that he couldn't do it so he didn't charge me anything and he had almost eight hours tied up in the car. I asked about my shocks but he denied to anything to them?!?

I am going to wait til I get my new engine built and switch the headers over to TTI or Doug's and then I will have a complete exhaust installed and get rid of the droning Flowmasters that are on there now. I will research different muffler shops around the area before turning another monkey loose on my pride and joy.

-
Back