Talk Converters w/ Me

-

1969Fish

Reaction score
We have always ran 10" converters in our drag cars. With that we also are strickly bottom bulb foot brakers.. Me being the youngest of the 5 cars we have, ive been told that when using an 8" or 9" off the foot brake it becomes hard to be consistent with your reaction times. ive only used 10", so I cant say. However the 10" does work well for me im wondering why there are so many 8" converters out there. I know typically an all out drag car will run quicker with an 8" but that's about all I know about it.i don't care about being the fastest I wanna be consistent and win. Have any of you used an 8" converter and had trouble at the tree foot braking?

I would love to hear real life experiences before I go out and make an $800 mistake..:banghead:

BK

One thing you got to realize is a 8 inch converter is going to launch harder then a 10 inch...is your car capable of handling the harder launch?

a car that runs fast needs a GOOD chassis underneath it...otherwise it is inconsistent.

If you're happy with the 10" you have why change? Like you said you're bracket racing. If a quality converter is inconsistent something is wrong with it.

All I do is foot brake with an 8 inch, no problem at all,, its all in learning what the car likes

We have always ran 10" converters in our drag cars. With that we also are strickly bottom bulb foot brakers.. Me being the youngest of the 5 cars we have, ive been told that when using an 8" or 9" off the foot brake it becomes hard to be consistent with your reaction times. ive only used 10", so I cant say. However the 10" does work well for me im wondering why there are so many 8" converters out there. I know typically an all out drag car will run quicker with an 8" but that's about all I know about it.i don't care about being the fastest I wanna be consistent and win. Have any of you used an 8" converter and had trouble at the tree foot braking?

I would love to hear real life experiences before I go out and make an $800 mistake..:banghead:

BK
Don't know who told you that an 8 " or 9" converter is inconsistent? ? But they are wrong.. find someone new to talk to, like a reputable converter company. Go talk to the NHRA stock eliminator guys.. very quick for the parts they have to work with and very consistent. And they typically run 8" converters.

How it was explained to me is, the converter is like stretching a rubber band. the smaller the the converter, the more the rubber band is stretched. Aka stored energy, and the more heat as well. Also, The smaller converter the better trans cooler need to be.

I footbrake the 8" converter I have. Last time I went to the track with it I got a 1.52, 1.51, and 1.52 back to back 60'. I changed tire pressures from 15, 12, and 10 psi on the 3 runs. That is all I changed. ET's were 10.75@ 125, 10.74@ 125, and 10.73@126. If you know me, you'll know I have very little track time under my belt (3 track days in my entire life). So to me, the car is consistent as hell with the 8" converter and a very novice driver. Keep in mind, this isn't an "all out drag car" either. It's 95% street driven, full interior, bench seats, all steel, etc. Around town driving is NO PROBLEM, although anyone who NEVER in their life has run one around town will tell you that you can't do it. My advice? Don't take advice from those who speculate. Listen to those who have actually done it.

There was no difference between my 10" and my 9" as far as reaction times. The 9" flashed slightly higher and gave me a better ET. But the tree didn't change.

Call PTC . Kenny is a mopar guy also..

I`m sure a hi dollar convertor is probly worth the $ , but I`ve always went w/ a reputable company, and matched my convertor to my camshaft. then found the best deal I could. (on a street car!)

Kenny at PTC did both my converter and my 727 tranny and I have been very happy.

Dustaar

8" converters are definitely more fun! It's like side-stepping a clutch when you launch.
My 69 Dart weighed 3200 pounds, 10.5 tire, exhaust system, 8" ATI treemaster converter.
It would footbrake a 1.36 sixty foot and was still streetable.

-
Back