TBI on a 383?

-

cuda_cowboy

Reaction score
I should be getting my 383 back from the shop this week so I can start putting it together. I have been giving some thought to running a TBI setup on it. It is going to be fairly close to stock. 9.5:1 comp, probably a step above the stock cam and a 727TF. Origionally I was going to just drive it occasionally but with diesel at $4.00 a gallon and rising my dually will probably be sitting and driving my Duster. Any thoughts on the fuel injection? Just tossing the idea around in my head for now.
Thanks

I've got a 517", solid roller, aluminum headed monster that I plan on running TBI on. I'm using a hybrid system me and a guy named Bruce from Autonomics came up with. It uses an old Holley analog PCM with a modified harness to use an old Air Sensors throttle body modded to accept late model type Low Z 96# injectors, flow 1000cfm and use a Ford TPS. It runs Alpha-N which uses throttle position, RPM and Temp. to calculate fueling so low manifold vaccum is not an issue as it would be with a speed density type system. I'll get some pics up for ya by the end of the week.

I have had the Holley Pro-jection "2 barrel" TBI on the 383 in my Newport for many years. It uses throttle position - rpm. Originally, I had the older analog box (long). It ran OK for years w/ the O2 feedback, which is a clumsy "kludge-on" box with wires that tap into the harness. It looks like the earliest box w/ MSD label is best since it uses "weather-pack" connectors. My later box has a Molex type connector and the wires have pulled out of their crimped pins.

About 1 yr ago, I switched to the little "digital" box (cheap on ebay), which I bought for my Dart. The O2 sensor plugs in directly, but no light to tell you when rich and it doesn't seem to control O/F. It seems to run much worse. I have to constantly adjust the knobs between morning and evening as ambient temperature changes. It went rich and blew up my muffler twice. The little box gets hotter, and either box will run really bad if it sits in the sun.

I think the current design has an inlet air temp sensor, which should help. I also heard that the later TBI's are much better. My two are the older ones with the round connectors above the injectors. I wouldn't pay the >$1000 for a new system.

There are after-market TBI systems based on GM parts and controller which are probably better, for about the same price. Search the "Air-Fuel" forum for more info.

look into FAST EFI. Or fastmanefi.com fastmanefi is a member here... It is a throttle body system that self tunes, guys are getting great results for power gains, and also economy...

There are several threads in the fuel/intake section on the topic, and several members running it.

JOE

I have the fast ez efi kit on the 440 in my swinger and absolutely love it. Ever since installing it about a year ago I haven't touched it. Very easy to install and setting the base tune was nothing but a couple of inputs into the handheld and go. The car runs 11.80's all day long.

I have been looking at quite a few different setups. I had a couple friends running pro-jection on their jeeps with mixed results. Looks like the fast-efi may be a good way to go but it aint cheap. I have a buddy thats a computer geek and said he can program a gm computer and TBI off of a 454 to work with my car but........... I have a nice BG Demon carb but man the EFI sure would be nice for a daily driver.

-
Back