Teenage irony at expense of my truck.

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
Just a quick intro:

For those of you that don't know what I do for a living.
I am a mobile mechanic that specializes in Mercedes repairs at the office or home.
I have a customer that I've been doing repairs for since 2001.

I was at his home yesterday doing some nickel and dime repairs on his Wife's ML-350, and his teenage Daughter came out and got in her car next to the ML I was working on.

The Dad was talking with me as she walked out and he asked her where she was off to, and she told him.
He then asked her if she could not pull up so close to the retaining wall next time because her bumper rode up over the low portion of the wall and when she backs up she could rip her bumper off if she catches it right.

She got all defensive and told him she knows how to drive and that she wishes he would quit telling her how bad of a driver she is.

He said "Honey, I'm not trying to put you down, I am just trying to explain that you need to be more aware of how your vehicle is positioned in relation to other objects around you."

I asked him if he wanted me to move my truck and he said "No, there is plenty of room", which there was.

She huffed, said " I know how to drive Dad", and she backed up...............................................

Right into the side of my truck that was parked behind the ML!!!!!!!

I heard a loud crunching noise and looked over as he said "Hooooooo!!!"

I just smiled and said to myself "What a classic moment."

I was in the middle of replacing the hood lift shock absorbers and was propping the hood up with my shoulder and popping on the shock as it happened so I could not just let go.

So he directs her to move forward...more crunching, so at this time I am free to walk over and see that my ford ranger had some paint taken off of the fiberglass stepside bed and some pretty good scuffs, but no cracks or real bad damage, but her car crinkled like tin foil on the quarter panel, and bothe side doors.
It was some small honda or acura, maybe and infinity, some Jap car.

I said, "It's okay, it's fine just let her get on with her day."

The dad was real upset and embarrased and I kinda felt bad for him as the irony of the whole instance was pretty funny how it happened.

He told her to go ahead and go and that he would talk to her about it when she gets home later.

Of course she backs off knowing that daddy will bail her out of it.

He was so upset and was looking at my truck intently and kept saying "Oh, man, oh man, I'm so sorry, I will take care of it."

I felt worse for him than I did for my nice little 96 Ford ranger and I just told him "I'm not worried about it that it's paid off and it's about time my truck finally got a scratcvh after all these years, now it has some character."

He still insisted that he takes care of the damage but I insisted it was cool, and no big deal, it's a work truck and most of it will rub out no problem, don't worry.

He was relieved, then he broke down and started laughing at the irony of the whole situation, and we had a good laugh about then talked for an hour about some of the stupid stuff our kids do, and believe me, I had some stories to tell myself.

I can snap a pic later of the damage, but really, it's not that bad, but my truck was pretty much pristine before this happened and it had virtually not a scratch on it and looked brand new when I had time to wash/wax it.

I just told him "Life is too short to worry about small stuff like this."

I could see how some people would have had a busted thong over that one right there in the driveway, but it's not worth the trouble especially since the poor guy's Wife is having health problems at such a young age and he travels all over Europe all the time for work and he has tons of kids with tons of issues.
I really felt bad for the guy, and I was just pleased to be part of his daughter "hopefully" learning a life lesson at my expense. LOL.

He said "I'm gonna make her pay for this one, this time."

Spaz, I am retired now and need some input from you. I am considering starting a mobil oil change service. Have you ever heard of one and do you think there would be any demand? this would be done as a parttime business. Do you think there would be environmental issues? Thanks for any input, Walt:read2:

The Way You Fix That Problem With The Kid Is To Remove Them From Their Car For A Couple Of Weeks. I Have Done This With My Son ( 1-month For Speeding Ticket & He Paid The Ticket) & My Daughter (2-weeks Speeding & He She Paid The Ticket). The Reason For The Difference In Punishment Was One Was Intensional (son) & The Other One Was Not Paying Attention (daughter). I Have Not Had Any Further Problems With My Kids. When You Issue Punishment & Stand By It, This Gets There Attention. They Don't Like Walking!

amen to them not liking walking. We get them cars so we have something to take way that means something to them.

Sorry to hear about the accident, but thanks for sharing the story. I too am a "dont sweat the small stuff" kind of person, but I have to be careful with that attitude in regards to my kids. I dont want them to minimize their misdeeds. Theres a fine line between wanting your kids to have a better life than we had and spoiling them to the point that they expect everything. I think you handled the whole thing in a more than generous way. Just hope the father follows through with his daughter or it could hurt her more in the long run!

Good man Spaz. Your right about small stuff. Its not worth stressing out over.

Funny story and good on ya for not getting all bent but you know how this will play out when Dad and daughter have they're little talk. It's Dad's fault for criticizing her driving, embarassing her in front of someone and getting her all flustered, yup all Dad's fault. Can you tell I've had teenagers :-D

Spaz, I am retired now and need some input from you. I am considering starting a mobil oil change service. Have you ever heard of one and do you think there would be any demand? this would be done as a parttime business. Do you think there would be environmental issues? Thanks for any input, Walt:read2:

Yeah, I will PM you about this.

You did the right thing Spaz.
As far as discipline and kids go, I can say this from my experience: I went through a divorce when my daughter was 7 and my son was 2, got full custody of both kids, kept the house and the race car. Just got rid of the ex-wife (and got her to pay me child support). Anyway, I raised both kids with the philosophy of letting them know the rules and that there would be punishment if the rules were broken, and then backing it up consistently. My kids are now 32 and 27 and both of them thank me for the way they were raised. They both say they thought it was, of course, unfair when they were kids, but they knew I'd be fair and consistent and they could trust what I said because I always backed it up.
Too many parents today want to be their kids 'friends' rather than their parents. It's great to have fun with your kids, but it's even better to have them thank you when they're grown.

You did the right thing Spaz.
As far as discipline and kids go, I can say this from my experience: I went through a divorce when my daughter was 7 and my son was 2, got full custody of both kids, kept the house and the race car. Just got rid of the ex-wife (and got her to pay me child support). Anyway, I raised both kids with the philosophy of letting them know the rules and that there would be punishment if the rules were broken, and then backing it up consistently. My kids are now 32 and 27 and both of them thank me for the way they were raised. They both say they thought it was, of course, unfair when they were kids, but they knew I'd be fair and consistent and they could trust what I said because I always backed it up.
Too many parents today want to be their kids 'friends' rather than their parents. It's great to have fun with your kids, but it's even better to have them thank you when they're grown.
RIGHT ON BROTHER!

John, it sounds like you had your Monday a few days early!!!

You're a good sport, and hopefully the kid learned a valuable lesson. Sorry it was at your little Ranger's expense though.

<< passin the buffer and cleaner wax :-D

Yep you are a good man John!

Most people would have jumped up and down and did the Curly shuffle. Poor gal knows how to drive though! lol

she'd be takin the bus for talkin that way when "dad was talkin" period!got a 13 year old that is learnin the when dad's talkin ......listen thing and and 11 year old.......LolI think I'll let them teach me, the tail don't wagg the dogg.you handled that well.as far as him embarassing her.....I think not,were dads,we don't want our kid's hurt or worse yet because they won't listen to us,ride the bus or shush when us parents are talkin...It's our job to care and to teach and it's childrens job to listen.

Problem is you can talk to some of these kids and they will still do whatever the heck they want regardless of the rules, they will sneak and get away with things even under the microscope of the most strict parenting.

One thing I have learned with the kids that we adopted is that they were born into a home packed full of lies and deceit and that was the way of survival for these kids, and it has been really hard to get them away from that way of thinking.
Just when we think we've got them on the right trak ....Blammo

Problem is you can talk to some of these kids and they will still do whatever the heck they want regardless of the rules, they will sneak and get away with things even under the microscope of the most strict parenting.

One thing I have learned with the kids that we adopted is that they were born into a home packed full of lies and deceit and that was the way of survival for these kids, and it has been really hard to get them away from that way of thinking.
Just when we think we've got them on the right trak ....Blammo

Exactly!

Not proud of this but it's my story. I was smoking pot, getting drunk and got a girl pregnant at the age of 15/16 yrs old. Got my first DUI at the age of 16. I had excellent parents that did not drink or drug what so ever. NEVER! They told me of drugs,alcohol, and condoms,the type people you hang with, etc.... I messed up every where that could be messed up!

Its like when young people are 13-18 the cotton goes in the ears rather than in the mouth!

Exactly!

Not proud of this but it's my story. I was smoking pot, getting drunk and got a girl pregnant at the age of 15/16 yrs old. Got my first DUI at the age of 16. I had excellent parents that did not drink or drug what so ever. NEVER! They told me of drugs,alcohol, and condoms,the type people you hang with, etc.... I messed up every where that could be messed up!

Its like when young people are 13-18 the cotton goes in the ears rather than in the mouth!

I had my moments as a teen as well, and I think it makes me a better parent because of it.
I know what signs to look out for and my kids are always amazed at my uncanny ability to see things before they happen and read people at my very first impression of them.
It ticks my kids off because I have honed my skills for fifteen years dealing with my Wife's criminal sister and her criminal aquaintences so I can smell bullcrap from miles away.
I like to call it my "Distant early warning" system LOL.

My Kids don't understand why I will not let certain "friends" come over of let them "hang out", nope sorry, my kids don't "hang out" and I do not invite trouble into my castle.

My Mother in law had the hardest time with my sister in law by trying to be her daughters friend and she would never take my avice by not letting her Daughter bring ANY of her "friends" into her home.
Needless to say, now that her Dauighter is spending 15 years in prison, she now admits she should have used the tough love method.

-
Back