Tell me whats wrong with this pic and how to fix it

-

sniekamp

Reaction score
When i bought my 74 dart this was what the brake booster looked like and i really dont think its how it should be. My brakes are less than stellar so i figured this is part of the problem. Can anyone tell me what is covered by the tape and how to properly fix it? Even if its as simple as pulling the tape off, i just dont know.

Attachments

• 2012-07-01 18.40.52.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 443
yes, pull the tape off to see if it is cracked

Well anybody knows you should have duct tape not masking tape! Kidding, like plot said it's probably cracked and your not getting proper vacuum.

That is the brake booster vacuum check valve. the tape is probably covering an unused nipple or a crack. To check if it's working, run the engine, then shut it off. Wait a minute or so and pull it out, if it releases vacuum, it's good. Another way to tell is instead of pulling it out, press the brake pedal to see if you still have one or two power brake applications after you shut your engine down.

They sell new check valves in the auto parts store "Help" section.

Hahaha gdrill that made me chuckle. Thanks guys, that's good to know. So if I have one or two power brake applications after shut off ok okay? Im gunna check tomorrow.

duct tape, masking tape? whats the diffrence? fix the problem properly cause the tape is ugleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The picture is sideways. You need to rotate it 90* clockwise. Then it will be fixed.

Yeah, the booster fluid will drain out that way. That is what the tape is for, to keep in the booster fluid.

I had my booster fluid leak out so much it got below the line. I had to go to town to get some and found out that they have just about quit making it. I went to three different stores to find it but Advance Auto had it. Thank goodness!!

I had my booster fluid leak out so much it got below the line. I had to go to town to get some and found out that they have just about quit making it. I went to three different stores to find it but Advance Auto had it. Thank goodness!!

You are lucky Advance Auto can't get it here. I found some at John Deere and of course it is colored John Deere green. Took a lot of green cash to buy it too.

P.S. Maybe that is why the tape is green because it has the JD fluid too?

You are lucky Advance Auto can't get it here. I found some at John Deere and of course it is colored John Deere green. Took a lot of green cash to buy it too.

P.S. Maybe that is why the tape is green because it has the JD fluid too?

lol that's funny!

Thanks for the suggestion ..... I didn't think about John Deere having it. The leak has stopped but its good to know another place sells it.:cheers:

You can't check the booster fluid level without first finding the booster dipstick. All the Chevy guys know that.

You can't check the booster fluid level without first finding the booster dipstick. All the Chevy guys know that.

I had to call my mechanic (friend) and he walked me through it over the phone. It wasn't that bad.

The booster fluid is on the same isle as the muffler bearings.

Yeah, the booster fluid will drain out that way. That is what the tape is for, to keep in the booster fluid.

Thats not far from the truth. I had a Mazda pickup (properly badged Ford Courier) that sucked brake fluid past the rear M/C piston into the booster until it was full. I couldn't find out where all my brake fluid went until one day it finally got the the level where the intake sucked some in and white smoke was billowing out the tailpipe. It was FULL of fluid and my brakes sucked!

It is a check valve which allows the motor to apply vacuum in the booster and store it. If there is tape on the valve it is probably damaged and should be replaced. any mopar with power brakes will work its only a one way valve. Make sure all of your vacuum hoses are plugged as this could also cause a booster operation problem. I see one in the photo that is open. I have a valve if needed you pay the ride. $5 paypal [email protected]

I guess you figured out the posts above are pulling your leg.

It is your car now. Don't be afraid to pull off weird tape and get to know your baby.

Let us know other things you find. We need to start a thread for the strangest things done by prior owners to our cars. You wouldn't believe the hillbilly fixes.

-
Back