-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
Some good info here on the 273, thought I’d share

Testing the Mopar 273 Power Pak on the Dyno

F5F600C6-BE00-4CBD-87E2-B5EBEE660BEA.jpeg

Thanks Keith
233 horse @ just a tick over 5 g's. Right on target!
A861 Power Pack option. That's what it is. I need to remember that and use it instead of calling it HP 273. LOL

I thought "Power Pack" was a version of the Chevy 283.

Yeah, every mfgr built a base 2-barrel, whatever CID, then jacked it up and gave it a special name. Chryslers 273 was Commando.

I like that article, but there was zero need to weld up those headers. There are gasket sets that will make those seal just fine.

Plymouth was Commando. Dodge was Charger.
OK, I misspoke. Its same with the high impact paint color names. Sassy Grass versus Sublime green. Very little difference. I recall choosing Lemon Twist over Top Banana to repaint a 71 Gremlin. Tomato, tom-ah-to LOL

OK, I misspoke. Its same with the high impact paint color names. Sassy Grass versus Sublime green. Very little difference. I recall choosing Lemon Twist over Top Banana to repaint a 71 Gremlin. Tomato, tom-ah-to LOL
If I didn't own a Dodge version I probably wouldn't know any difference. :lol:

sassy grass and sublime are totally different colors...1 is j5 1 is j6 aka green go and lime light

sassy grass and sublime are totally different colors...1 is j5 1 is j6 aka green go and lime light
OK, so sassy grass probably does have another name under the same Chrysler org. I can't know or remember it all. cheers

Yeah I thought it was in that ballpark they also rated 340 at 273 but they dyno at about 100 HP more than 318 at about 330.

340-4 "rated" @ 275 & 340-6 "rated" at 290, but correct around the actual numbers they were showing..

Is there some reason they just HAD to keep calling it "power pak?" I wonder where that came from? Maybe it was just some engineer Chrysler hired that used to work for GM LOL

I like that article, but there was zero need to weld up those headers. There are gasket sets that will make those seal just fine.
I wish I knew that 25 years ago, I put 65 A 273 super comp headers on a 340 head and had a burn out in a matter of days. Perhaps a better gasket set would have prevented me from sending the burned gaskets to Hooker with my application (340 ports size and all) and asking WTF. They responded that the flanges were mis-drilled! They had the gall to ask me for a receipt (Uh.. manufacturing defect..hello?) and they would give me a RA number to return them to the place of purchase for a new set. OK, I'm gonna send them back to PAW for an identical jig produced "mis-drilled" set? Didn't happen. Sold them to another 273 port user and moved on.
"The extra exhaust flow delivered 244.2 hp at 5,100 rpm and 283.4 lb-ft at 4,000 rpm, gains of 10.8 hp and 6.6 lb-ft." is what, about $60 per HP increase? That's a bargain.....:realcrazy:
A K&N filter and Rob's "Mr. Horsepower" sticker could probably get you that for $30. Just shows throwing some $600 headers on a stock motor with a decent designed factory exhaust already aint all its cracked up to be.

I think I saw a Nicks garage video where he dynoed a "Stock 340" at around 330 HP or it might have been 335.
The Detroit guys said the 340 was more like 375HP, That was from a Hagerty special on a legendary black 340 that roamed the streets of Detroit, street raced by an off duty cop. Perhaps wishful thinking.....

The Detroit guys said the 340 was more like 375HP, That was from a Hagerty special on a legendary black 340 that roamed the streets of Detroit, street raced by an off duty cop. Perhaps wishful thinking.....
Yeah I recall it revs a little higher than the 318 i wonder what the 318 would do at 6000 rpm although I believe the 318 drops off power wise by that point.

Oops, didn't see Mattax's post before posting mine, but yeah, "power packs" weren't Chevy only. That term was common in the mid-fifties to refer to engines with optional four barrel carbs and dual exhaust. Below is Plymouth literature from 1956. Per Mattax, looks like Plymouth still used the term "Power Pak" as late as 1965.

upload_2021-12-10_14-22-55.png

Last edited:
-
Back