Thackdaddy's 71 Duster

-

Thackdaddy

Reaction score
Well...I figured the best way to get this car done was to dive in so the dis assembly has started. It will be a street/strip big block with dana 60 and 727. Here the the starting point.
Duster1.jpg

Duster2.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

Well, it don't look like that anymore.
IMG_0644.jpg

I'll get the door panels, dash and steering column off tomorrow and the interior will be gutted. I did have one casualty, I broke the front windshield :angry7:...barely pushed on it and CRACK!

I will have to replace the tail light panel because it has lots of dimples. The only rust so far is around the window channels, one spot in back and 3 in front, and a patch on the truck extension. I'll also have to work on the roof, it looks like some stood on it.

There is a dent in the left rear corner I'll post a pic of you all can give some repair thought too.

Oh, one interesting thing (to me anyway) look at how much paint coverage the interior has.

This being my first A Body I am amazed how simple everything is...keep that quite or everyone will want one.
IMG_0646.jpg

this is where I stopped today.
IMG_0667.jpg

Damn, that's one solid and nice starting point. I wouldn't get rid of the tail panel fix the dimples they are too hard to come by. Nice progress!

You sure have a solid Duster to start with and you have made alot of progress so far. I know your busy but if you get a chance tell us what your planning other than what you have mentioned. I am looking forward to your build, good luck... :-D

I am at the point where I feel confident that I know what I have...a good solid car that will need minor rust repair. The rust being around the window channels, 2 spots in front and one in back.

IMG_0698.jpg

Underneath everything is also solid with one small patch needed in one trunk extension. The bottom was sand blasted to clean metal, the coating of Rustoleum is a temporary protective coating. The axel and springs are roll a rounders until I make a body dolly.

IMG_0576.jpg

So where do I go now? That is not completely decided yet. For example, I know over the years to come the power level will evolve so this is the time to add a cage but...I like the stock interior. So, will I be happy with a cage, bench seat and Simpson belts. That leads to this, I like the green color with a bench seat, but Hemi Orange with buckets.

The things I do know are, mini tub, sub frame connectors, cage and a smooth firewall meaning no heat or A/C. There are two cars I am using for inspiration right now, this yellow Duster that belongs to a FABO member...the car sits perfectly.
IMG_0344.jpg

and this car. Life forced the sale but I always planned another Mopar, however six months after selling Mopar Madness kicked in and I watched from the bleachers for a decade...and took to playing with Farmall tractors. But it was a lead sled and I always wondered what the motor would have done in an A-Body, so I am thinking BIG cubic inches.

fc957596.jpg

It was nice today so I took advantage of the weather and pulled the engine and trans. Next is to order Schumacher conversion mounts so I can mock the 440 and build a body dolly.

IMG_0700.jpg

very nice keep up the good work. If you dont mind me asking how much you get it for?

$2,500.00
I really hate you now, you stole that.
Ok, now build it.
If the outer paint is as clean as the photos, ever thought about just touching up the original paint and making a sleeper?

I have considered the original color and nothing (color wise) is off the table right now. It will be completely stripped and steps for preservation taken but I will not allow the car to be a dust collector, it will be driven a lot, so a factory quality finish will be applied.

It's kinda cool to go out into the garage and stare at a blank canvas. Just have to make sure the wallet can cash the checks the imagination writes....and it's always much easier to imagine things than to do them.

I have considered the original color and nothing (color wise) is off the table right now. It will be completely stripped and steps for preservation taken but I will not allow the car to be a dust collector, it will be driven a lot, so a factory quality finish will be applied.

It's kinda cool to go out into the garage and stare at a blank canvas. Just have to make sure the wallet can cash the checks the imagination writes....and it's always much easier to imagine things than to do them.

Looks clean. Mine is F3 but the metallic looks a little bigger than the factory for some reason. Might get a black hood later too.

Now that the weather is nice again I'm back to work on the car. You can see by the firewall that I have chosen a color for the car.

4-3.jpg

I found a area of rust on the frame so I cut the rot out and have the patch tack welded in, I'll finish after I have had more time to practice with the welder. I bought a Hobart 140.

4-1.jpg

I also have to patch two small area's in the windshield channel where debris collected and caused a little rust.

4-2.jpg

There were some dings and creases on the roof so I am learning the hammer and dolly. I was nervous about that but I have gone reeeal slow and it is working out nicely.

4-4.jpg

Last, always a surprise when you start stripping and poking. Advise please, do I need to replace or can I work this out?

4-5.jpg

I finally feel good enough with my welding skills to start smoothing the firewall/engine bay. I tried two methods for filling the holes, first was a brass backing block and second using a nail. I like the nail much better and it goes faster.
511-1.jpg

511-3.jpg

Since the holes went well I also did the window channel this evening and now all the rust has been fixed...this car made rust repair boring, sorry!

IMG_0771.jpg

-
Back