The 318 NON believers

-

Mrmopartech

Reaction score
This weekend at a south eastern national event a fellow shows up with his 318 daytona charger to race in the super stock catagory GT/GA class.The weights in at just under 3000lbs with the drive and runs on gas and has to go by ALL NHRA rules as outlined in the rule.The motor is a 89/90 318 with a .030 overbore and stock stroke and has to run a stock compression ratio of 9.0:1 ratio give or take a point.The heads are the 579 castings.The time it ran was: 9.78 seconds at 146.00mph for the 1/4 mile.The index for the class is around a 10.70-10.60 range,so he,s under the class average by a second,and qualifies at the top 10-15 in national events.So to those non believes,that a 318 can do ****,this baby is doing over 600hp,carries the wheels a good foot and a half in the air and launches with neck snapping torque.So on here when you here some one say you can,t do much with a 318 ,start deleting every post that person ever has posted and contact the daytona driver and others that know how to build a 318 for power,and start thinking out of the box and the B/S some of these big companies are telling you.Any comments can be posted or you can call me any time,mrmopartech 450 424 0445

:notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth:

All hail the mighty 318!

Considering it was never marketed by Chrysler as a performance option, (save for the 80's police version) there is potential in the 318. It shares the same design platform as the beloved 340 and will respond to all the same tricks. Compared to the price class competition, (Ford 302 and GM 305), it has the cubic inch advantage.

Praise aside, my personal choice will always be the 360, just can't get enough of those cubic inches!

:thumblef::thumblef::thumblef:

This weekend at a south eastern national event a fellow shows up with his 318 daytona charger to race in the super stock catagory GT/GA class.The weights in at just under 3000lbs with the drive and runs on gas and has to go by ALL NHRA rules as outlined in the rule.The motor is a 89/90 318 with a .030 overbore and stock stroke and has to run a stock compression ratio of 9.0:1 ratio give or take a point.The heads are the 579 castings.The time it ran was: 9.78 seconds at 146.00mph for the 1/4 mile.The index for the class is around a 10.70-10.60 range,so he,s under the class average by a second,and qualifies at the top 10-15 in national events.So to those non believes,that a 318 can do ****,this baby is doing over 600hp,carries the wheels a good foot and a half in the air and launches with neck snapping torque.So on here when you here some one say you can,t do much with a 318 ,start deleting every post that person ever has posted and contact the daytona driver and others that know how to build a 318 for power,and start thinking out of the box and the B/S some of these big companies are telling you.Any comments can be posted or you can call me any time,mrmopartech 450 424 0445

wow! being a slant guy i know what it is to think out of the box! but that destroys it lol... i would be curious on what cam and how they set it up... do you think they degreed it to like 70*adv to boost compression or something?

As I always tell people who ask if my 71 swinger is a 340 "yep its a small bore 340"
They great engines IMO

Where did he run at this weekend?

i check qualifing for Southern Nationals at Atlanta...do not see any GT/GA 1990 Daytonas...listed..

check the division 5 race..no GT/GA Daytonas listed....
check the divsion 3 race...no GT/GA Daytonas listed...
check the divsion 7 race....same as above...

just looking to see who it was or is...

Where did he run at this weekend?

i check qualifing for Southern Nationals at Atlanta...do not see any GT/GA 1990 Daytonas...listed..

check the division 5 race..no GT/GA Daytonas listed....
check the divsion 3 race...no GT/GA Daytonas listed...
check the divsion 7 race....same as above...

just looking to see who it was or is...

maybe he meant south east Canada? he is in Canada...

246 GT/GA Dennis Steward Port Orange FL '90 Daytona Dodg 318 COAST CHASSIS DESIGN

Qualified 31. Dennis Steward GT/GA 10.90 10.476 -0.424

this is what i found at Southern Nationals for this weekend... looks like he ran a 10.475 on a 10.90 index......and was .424 under the index...

Now Wes Leopold Daytona ran 8.70s...but he is a SS/AS car....with a 394 cubic inch engine 93 Daytona

4. Wes Leopold SS/AS 9.60 8.775 -0.825

246 GT/GA Dennis Steward Port Orange FL '90 Daytona Dodg 318 COAST CHASSIS DESIGN

this is what i found at Southern Nationals for this weekend... looks like he ran a 10.475 on a 10.90 index......and was .424 under the index...

guys is still running 10's lol...

That sounds like a very hot teen.I bet it cost a small fortune to build it, Still very impressive.

NHRA GT class...allows front wheel cars to be modified to allow corporate V8 to be installed....

take front wheel drive Daytona installed...318/340/360 in it...get it to weight you want to fit the GT class you want...

Super Stock Engines are RACE engines using approved parts by NHRA....light weight pistons...roller cams...specified steel rods... any intake manifold as long it is the same configuration as from stock...so a 4 barrle can use any aluminum intake..which are cut opened and ported..then re-welded back together...has to use carb specific to engine...either thermoquard or quadrajet..

Cylinder heads are ported .....as allowed by nhra rule book....

Ask Mazz how much his 318 SS/GT cost... it's only money... a crapload, but, only money. :)

You can make anything run with enough cash.

Confused here................

318 Daytona Charger?

Exactly what car is this he's talkin' about?

My guess is it's a Dodge Daytona (aka Chrysler Daytona) with a V8 conversion done.

Take out the 4 or 6 cylinder engine, do some massive cutting, shoehorn a V8 in there then convert the car from front wheel to rear wheel drive.

showfield6b.jpg

rear-drive-daytona.jpg

440.jpg

Yep thats the car, on the qualifing run he lifted before the 1000 ft mark so not to bomb the index and to get where he wanted to be on the ladder. This was on Friday's qualifing. And the little engine fit in the car better than the original engine. This car has full interior and a stock frame with a added front half framing. While talking to Dennis he told me that they couldn't go all the way with the tubing as rules state that they can't be a full frame car. So there's about a ft. thats not connected. Neat little car that runs the part. There were alot of cars shutting off early to protect the CIC's just as they have been doing for years.

As I always tell people who ask if my 71 swinger is a 340 "yep its a small bore 340"
They great engines IMO

I like that one....gotta start using it! LOL

Its funny to see the look of disappointment on some folks faces at cruises (usually the younger crowd) when they run up to my green fish and ask "Hey! That sounds like big block! Whats in it!" and I tell them 318. LOL

Ask Mazz how much his 318 SS/GT cost... it's only money... a crapload, but, only money. :)

You can make anything run with enough cash.

And what does that SS engine cost? 15-20K?

To creata this much power, it will cost around the same amount of bucks nearly no matter what size the engine is. A few dollors here and there more because of bore/stroke sizes is peanutz when you total the whole build. If your worried about it, you need not apply. LOL! Racing/going fast costs money. At this level and quicker, it doesn't matter what your running, it'll be expensive no matter what.

Running that good with a teen I'm guessing it was bored and stroked. That being said is it really a 318, I would think 390. I have spoken with a local engine builder about that option for mine, he estimates a budget of 5-6 thousand for a stroker build using a 360 crank and other mods of course, but again it's a 390 not a 318.

The 360 crank in a 318 wouldn't be a 390. It would be a 344. The 4" stroke crank would be required for the 390 build and then it would only be a 384 with the standard bore 318. I've seen some pretty fast stock bore and stroke 318s in the past. None as fast as what's been talked about here......at least not naturally aspirated. Certainly that doesn't mean it cannot happen.

Running that good with a teen I'm guessing it was bored and stroked. That being said is it really a 318, I would think 390. I have spoken with a local engine builder about that option for mine, he estimates a budget of 5-6 thousand for a stroker build using a 360 crank and other mods of course, but again it's a 390 not a 318.
No, it's a 318 per NHRA rules.

-
Back