The '74 Ruster

-

Expire

Reaction score
Well, I figured that I mooched this forum long enough and now it's time to start some contributing...

A little background on this car before I begin.. I bought this car for $400 without ever seeing it in person, on a friend recommendation. I was also in the middle of moving when I got the call about it. Only got 3 pictures at the time, a front, back and an engine shot. Couple weeks go by and the P/O is pretty dodgy, didn't want me to pick it up yet, and some shady things like that. Eventually get the title and have it repo'd. The car had 3 flat tires, and my friend claimed "he couldn't see under it because it's wheels were flat." Before you ask, yes, I am dumb.

The overall goal:
I've always wanted a muscle car, but growing up in a family that never really was into cars, I was under the impression to own a car like this, you had to know a ton about them and practically be a mechanic. I figured I'm 21, single, have a good job and a disposable income, so there isn't really a better time to start learning. I really just want to learn a ton from this build so if something ever goes wrong with it, I built it from the ground up and will know exactly how to fix it. BUT if I can end up stuffing a 440 in this with some nice meaty tires, a good paint job, interior, wheels, with it all being structurally sound and safe to make a fun little weekender car I wouldn't be opposed to that either.. A lot of this build is going to be a ton of "Firsts" for me, like first motor swap, first paint job, etc etc.

So anyways, here we are.

FkJIMOfm.jpg

Some nice info to add, the car hasn't moved since '92, it's a 74 gold duster with a /6. The previous owner parked the car with a full gas tank, and it now had a full tank of varnish.

First order of business was to fix the fact it couldn't roll, did some searching and picked up some nice wheels w/ tires from mrdodge on here. Was a great road trip out to Lancaster.

Next thing is to tackle some rust. I knew the car has some body rust, and a rot hole in the trunk. But I had no idea of the frame or floor boards. I was reluctant to tear the old musty carpet out because I didn't want to see what's under it. But like an STD test, you just got to suck it up and find out. To my surprise, it wasn't really all that bad. Couple holes here and there, but the car held both me and a friend while we were vacuuming it out. Banged around on it a bit, seems pretty solid. But that's the next step is patching.

Here's some interior shots...

Driver floor pan, rusted seat bracket.
22424184613_496067806e_c.jpg

Under driver's dash, looks to be mostly chipping paint
22627041827_309ece6511_c.jpg

Passenger's Rusted seat bracket.
23019318036_fd16b81381_c.jpg

Under passenger's dash, rust, couple holes here and there
23056536941_161cc3295c_c.jpg

Crack free dash though, which is nice
22626991928_dc13ed77d9_c.jpg

Yup, that's the end of this first update, I should have a gas tank coming in the mail pretty soon, so that will be next, along with fixing these rust holes.

That isn't all bad, mine was much worse.

I was pretty surprised with it to be honest. I was watching a bunch of resto-videos where people restored theres for <5k and they started with much worse bodies, so that keeps me positive.

Yours is mint compared to mine which was $200. The motor was blown and was raped of carb and intake, cracked trans housing and no hood View attachment 1714855611 Best of luck on the build!

That;s very reassuring! The whole rust on mine just 'scares' me I guess. I still need to check out the frame, but I don't think it's going to be too bad considering nothing else is very rough.

Finished stripping out the car today, boxed up all the interior and put it in storage for now.

Did the good 'ol hammer and screwdriver test on the underside to find any bad rot, the only part that really got bad was this piece. It's the end of the Passenger Side Frame rail that connects to the crossbar? underneath the tail light assembly.

Not for the faint of heart, or maybe I'm just being dramatic.
22563111314_572267382a_c.jpg

Now I have a bit of patching and metal work to take care, hoping to get this done before winter. I wish my updates were more exciting lol

Wow i'm 21 and we have the Same car just about, Erie lol.

Attachments

• 0Duster1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 530
That drivers floor looks to have been bondo'd over at some time, and I'll bet if you start at it with a screwdriver or scraper, you'll find its a lot worse than you think! Hope this is t the case tho!!

Get the wiper seals, windshield gasket and basic weatherstripping! It aint the worst. You are gonna spend 4-7k by the end no matter what.

Wow i'm 21 and we have the Same car just about, Erie lol.
Haha seriously, I saw the same color/top /engine combo at a car show yesterday as well. It must be a PA Duster thing..

That drivers floor looks to have been bondo'd over at some time, and I'll bet if you start at it with a screwdriver or scraper, you'll find its a lot worse than you think! Hope this is t the case tho!!
Looks worse then it is, we were banging around in there as well, nothing really sunk in. Still concerned about the large pile of what looks to be seam sealer that was under the backseat area though. Drivers floor doesn't appear to be bondo'd, it hink it's just a lot of paint chipping. All the inside is solid metal (from what I can see). Just checked the pic again, If you're referring to the large "step" between rust to red paint, we chipped it off, that's all paint. lol

Get the wiper seals, windshield gasket and basic weatherstripping! It aint the worst. You are gonna spend 4-7k by the end no matter what.
Might not be able to see it in the pic, but they do have all the stripping and trim on them. I ran a power washer over it and I have no leaks, so that's a relief!

Finished stripping out the car today, boxed up all the interior and put it in storage for now.

Did the good 'ol hammer and screwdriver test on the underside to find any bad rot, the only part that really got bad was this piece. It's the end of the Passenger Side Frame rail that connects to the crossbar? underneath the tail light assembly.

Not for the faint of heart, or maybe I'm just being dramatic.
22563111314_572267382a_c.jpg

Now I have a bit of patching and metal work to take care, hoping to get this done before winter. I wish my updates were more exciting lol

Mine was in close to this shape
I decided to go with 3 inch in board on the springs and had a local shop bend some 12g steel to make up the rails.

Mine was in close to this shape
I decided to go with 3 inch in board on the springs and had a local shop bend some 12g steel to make up the rails.

Do you remember how much that ran you? it looks like it's only on the end, but I'm not sure if I should replace the whole rail?

Do you remember how much that ran you? it looks like it's only on the end, but I'm not sure if I should replace the whole rail?

I decided to go inboard with springs because it negates the need for the spring boxes . My rails were solid up towards the hump. I had a local shop bend up some 12g 3.5 tall with 1 inch flanges 4ft long and welded them into u shaped channels. Used some trimmings for end caps. The "resto" pieces are pricey. Pics on my build thread "disturbed duster" the metal shop charged me $30 for the steel and bending. Its pretty labor intensive so I couldnt really say what one would charge to do something like this .Look at the other rail closely, one is usually not far behind the other.

I decided to go inboard with springs because it negates the need for the spring boxes . My rails were solid up towards the hump. I had a local shop bend up some 12g 3.5 tall with 1 inch flanges 4ft long and welded them into u shaped channels. Used some trimmings for end caps. The "resto" pieces are pricey. Pics on my build thread "disturbed duster" the metal shop charged me $30 for the steel and bending. Its pretty labor intensive so I couldnt really say what one would charge to do something like this .Look at the other rail closely, one is usually not far behind the other.

Did you weld it yourself? or have them weld it to the car?

Its fixable depending on your skills, It's usually 2 to 3 times worst then it looks it can be done reasonable or expensive depends how you go about. Almost every car I've every own had needed floors or at least a few patches. If you get discouraged easy it's probably better to find something drivable and do weekend projects to it.

I admire your bravery. I wouldn't tackle one that bad off, but I am glad you're going to save it. Keep us posted.

There ya go, with a little practice and guidance you'll be welding, and plenty of good people here

Well, time for an update..

Last week, I posted this in the Morning Coffee thread, but I never updated here. Thanks to Ray (Halifax Hops) I was able to purchase a great "welding starter kit". Got a speedway series mig welder, 2 rolls of flux wire, a Vs-Discovery Hobart welding helmet. A quick trick to Harbor Freight got me some good gloves and wire brushes.
22665604353_b73eeaf065_c.jpg

22997170750_74bd8a48d7_c.jpg

I finally got my grinder wheels so I began grinding down some of the frame. When I got back to the car on Friday night, it appears Mother Nature had been working to return the trunk to the earth. Instead of doing some weird positioning to grind the rails down, I cut the trunk out, which gives me a little bit of a better shot on how the frames look.

Also, while cutting the trunk we discovered that the passenger spring perch wasn't connected to anything and was pretty much a rocket waiting to happen. We lifted the body, put some blocks on the wheels, then pinched those between the body and tires so the leaf springs don't shoot straight into us when we cut the trunk pan.

Driverside Rear Frame
22947298483_38091c9e4c_c.jpg

You already know how bad the underside of the passengers is, here is how it looks up by the axel arch/bump.
23574365655_0db047537b_c.jpg

23548306426_53f7aa38f1_c.jpg

Of course, it got too dark to continue cutting so I believe next step will be to start splitting the seam weld of the trunk pan to rail, and the go at the rails with a grinding and flapper disk.

At this point, I think I'd rather just do a new trunk pan, and I'm also sitting at the point of "I have to cut out the one side's wheel well anyways. Should I just mini-tub it while I'm back there?

EDIT:

Just curious, if I were to look into buying an entire trunk used, would I search under "rear clip"? Or would I just want to ask for the trunk pan and wheel wells?

-
Back