THE BIG DOG BUILD (Scamp)

-
Dude-that looks good! Are you planning on using factory type seats, or will you use some aftermarket seats?
Thanks! My plan is to use aftermarket seats.

Very nice. Good luck working through your Scamp!
Thanks! and you are correct in saying working through it ! Front to back inner fender tops floor pans next on to the wheel wells .

So as you can see the wheel wells were pretty bad .I drilled out all the spot wells and removed them. Then I patched them where they needed it and widened them while I was at it .

Attachments

• wheelwells3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 327
  • wheelwells.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 322
  • wheelwells1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 306
  • wheelwells2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 324
Great job Big Dog. Don't give up, ever! I am rebuilding a Scamp also. I was lucky, I found one in Rhode Island that had been garaged all it's life, no rust, just a few dings. I also made a rotissrie, took 35 pounds of undercoating off with a heat gun and putty knife. Then 800 pounds of blasting media. Rented a Sullair portable compressor and blast equipment. Worth every penny. I'm not interested in a full resto as the collector value is negligable. It is in paint jail right now, expected to be bailed out on 02-14. Has the bottom and engine bay painted body color and cleared. Looks amazing. Sub-frame connectors and roll bar are in now and REALLY makes a difference. 383 going in and it's TIGHT!!! 440 is crazy tight. Much respect to you, keep usposted. Let the Big Dog eat. I have kin in Lunenburg County

Then I decided that they looked too shitty so I trashed them and decided to make a set from new metal.More pics of that to follow.

Then I decided that they looked too shitty so I trashed them and decided to make a set from new metal.More pics of that to follow.

if you are talking about your wheel tubs, i made mine out of 18 gauge steel. they turned out great. a little tricky to fit tight to 1/4 panel. by the looks of your metal skills you should not have a problem. keep up the good work.

So like I said I decided to make my own wheel wells. In hindsight I maybe should have done them like I see them done with the trailer fenders but I was thinking I wanted mine to look original :banghead: And still part way though the first one I wasn't sure if I like it or not and I almost scrapped the idea .

So what did I do ? I was sure I wanted to take up all the area from the fender to the frame just as the widened ones I did fit . I cut up some card board and made some templates then I started to make a wooded buck to shape my wheel wells.

Attachments

• ww3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 278
  • ww2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 312
  • ww1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 302
  • ww.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 301
Lots of jig sawing and scewing got the basic shape that I wanted.

Attachments

• buck5.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 285
  • buck4.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 288
  • buck3.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 292
  • buck2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 291
  • buck1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 294
  • buck.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 292
  • b.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 304
Finished the buck now to cover it. I ran a piece from one end to the other it needed to be cut in some places to get the shape. But I got basically the top front and back . I know even my best friend is saying what the hell are you doing ?

Attachments

• cover ww.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 287
  • dog.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 282
  • cover ww4.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 275
  • cover ww3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 284
  • cover ww2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 291
  • cover ww1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 297
The next piece is the frame side of the wheelwell lots of friggin, screwing,tacking and hammer and dollying to get it where I wanted it.

Attachments

• inside ww4.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 286
  • inside ww3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 278
  • inside ww2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 294
  • inside ww1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 296
  • inside ww.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 293
And just for the record you couldn't buy these when I made them!
The next is the quarter panel side I wanted them so that they would come down the inside and bend in just as the originls do .This creates quite a problem as the wheelwell has a curviture to it that rolls in as the quarter goes to the back so these pieces have to follow the shape of the wheelwell opening bend in so the quarter can attach to it and also curve in to follow the curviture or sweep of the quarter panel........if you follow all that? One picture here shows it fit inside the quarter somehow I was able to acomplish it in tthe first attempt!

Attachments

• outww.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 308
  • outww1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 291
  • outww2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 283
Nice project dude coming along very well

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Thanks! I wouldn't dare count how many times the finished wheelwells went in and out before I was finished to make them fit.

For some reason I can't find any pictures of the driverside being done. This area of the project became a very long drawn out process I got stalled out many times I just had too many other things on the go. And I had to do both wheelwells lay in the trunk panel and extensions plus changed the rear panel out for the 71 style .There was lots going on and all pieces had to fit together.

Attachments

• testfit4.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 285
  • testfit3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 292
  • testfit2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 263
  • testfit1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 272
  • testfit.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 279
Lay in both wheel wells the trunk pan and extensions and I changed the rear over to a 70-73 style so I had that panel out also trying to get it all to fit together correctly.

Attachments

• 01trunk.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 00trunk.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 001trunk.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 240
  • 000trunk.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 244
  • trunk5.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 238
  • trunk4.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 255
  • trunk3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 242
  • trunk2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 240
  • trunk1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 260
There were times I wondered but they turned out pretty good !

Attachments

• open back.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 241
  • fintrunk.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 237
  • new2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 230
  • new1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 242
  • new.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 239
So like I said I decided to make my own wheel wells. In hindsight I maybe should have done them like I see them done with the trailer fenders but I was thinking I wanted mine to look original :banghead: And still part way though the first one I wasn't sure if I like it or not and I almost scrapped the idea .

I like the shape of the wheel tubs and agree with looking original-ish...of course, that's because I felt the same way when I did mine..nice job !!
attachment.php

Nice work ,Big Dog.... When I first hit this page on your thread,first thing in my mind: "wider wheel wells? He's already there...). Lol.

I would have given my left you know what for that rotisserie and you fabricating skills.

The work looks even better in person.

Scraping off the old grease and graphite ...with the original undercoating will be a memory that sticks for a very long time..

Love the thread.

Ian.

PS - this is why I paid more for an essentially rust car..

-
Back