The Building of the Blue Mistic

-
I had the engine just about mated to the transmission in the engine bay. When it wouldn't bolt up, I found the other difference between truck and car engines. Car motors put a pilot hole bushing in and the truck torque converter hub was too big to go in.

Attachments

• trans.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 581
  • hemi spacer.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 608
After heating that bushing/spacer with a torch for about 10-15 seconds, then let it cool, and it just about popped out on its own with a few taps from a chisel to spin it. I then measured the hub and crank opening with a digital caliber, measured 1.79" and 1.81", so I was good to go.

I then installed the engine, not realizing that the rack and pinion on the HDK set up needs to be installed first. So I pulled the motor back out for the second time today, slid the R&P in, and then came up with this:

Attachments

• hemi1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 574
After heating that bushing/spacer with a torch for about 10-15 seconds, then let it cool, and it just about popped out on its own with a few taps from a chisel to spin it. I then measured the hub and crank opening with a digital caliber, measured 1.79" and 1.81", so I was good to go.

I then installed the engine, not realizing that the rack and pinion on the HDK set up needs to be installed first. So I pulled the motor back out for the second time today, slid the R&P in, and then came up with this:

I get asked all the time why I do not simply move the steering crossbar rearward instead of (now) spacing the rack rearward.

I learned from constant test fitting it would be much easier putting the rack in and out with a spacer allowing room to clear the steering brackets.

Part of the updates on the newer models.....sorry. I was thinking you modified yours some time ago cutting those threaded sleeves back(?)

It's a good thing my anticipation easily lasted the whole ten weeks J.R. (LOL).

LMAO, I had a good excuse. No heat in the garage it was in and I just had another surgery on my right arm from when I cut 6 tendons about 6 months ago. But you know what they say, Excuses are like a$$holes. :)

Denny, I think that I had already had my HDK powdercoated when you did that mod. Or you told me about it and over looked it. Anyways, it is in and no issues. Still giving this system a 5 star rating. I am just excited to get to the next step
:burnout:

I just installed the 16'x8' door on my garage that I built over the last year. I tightened the springs down and got some binding when I opened the door all f the way. When I was relieving some tension, the spring kicked and wedged my arm into the track, cutting it down to the bone and 3-4" long. Went into a 2 hour surgery and am out of work (Deputy Sheriff) for at least weeks. I start physical therapy in about a week. It sucks mainly because I was about to install the hemi in my Dart yesterday and decided to get the door done instead.

Gotta watch those doors, I had never had stitches in my life till I was helping a buddy with the same kind of door. Spring kicked off mount and took the center support through my wrist. Had to wrap in a roll of paper towels and blue painters tape till I got to ER haha.. Loving your build thou..

Gotta watch those doors, I had never had stitches in my life till I was helping a buddy with the same kind of door. Spring kicked off mount and took the center support through my wrist. Had to wrap in a roll of paper towels and blue painters tape till I got to ER haha.. Loving your build thou..

Yes, I would have to say, this is the first time I got to see the bone in my own arm :eek:ops:

By the way, if no one noticed, the torque converter is the TCI Breakaway Converter rated for 2200-2400 stall.

Attachments

• converter.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 504
Boy I've missed a good deal of work and woe from the sounds of it--that color is brilliant in the truest form of the word and beautiful! But that wrist--damn dude--I fortunately haven't had to mess with one of those springs...yet. I was in a friend's garage once during an engine swap and the spring on his door just broke out of nowhere. We had no idea what happened--thought someone had ran into the house with a damn 18 wheeler...then the garage door just sagged on one side and started to drop on its own. I think we both had to check our shorts. I hope it's healing up well!

Boy I've missed a good deal of work and woe from the sounds of it--that color is brilliant in the truest form of the word and beautiful! But that wrist--damn dude--I fortunately haven't had to mess with one of those springs...yet. I was in a friend's garage once during an engine swap and the spring on his door just broke out of nowhere. We had no idea what happened--thought someone had ran into the house with a damn 18 wheeler...then the garage door just sagged on one side and started to drop on its own. I think we both had to check our shorts. I hope it's healing up well!

Thanks TXStang84, I had a surgery again about 3 weeks ago, but I have doing a little progress here and there. I just pulled the heater and A/C out the other day to make room. I am going aftermarket heater system and a/c . The wiring is pretty much in.

I am thinking one of these for the heater system (seen on Xtreme 4x4). They look the same, just one is summit brand for $10 cheaper:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mar-mm-a1090002
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991102-1

And this for the A/C unit once i save up a small fortune:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-672001vhy

The build may not look like it, but I am on a budget. I can spend the money just not a lot at a time. So I am going this route so I can buy them separately and "feel" like I am staying in budget.

Hmm-might work out well--I've often wondered about those little remote mount universal fit jobs. I'd probably want to find a way to make some ducting and such to make it fit mostly stock locations and modernize the older dash, but I don't have a bottomless account and I'm not talented as a fab guy...

No real updates right now.
Thanks txstang84, I will do a little research before I hit the buy now button. Just a note, my summers only get mid 80's and once in a while in the 90's

Oh-I wasn't suggesting YOU need to do that--I was only saying I probably would...I like the possibilities though. Definitely food for thought.

I am running a Gen3 trans as well, so I am using the factory gasket/spacer. A 545RFE with a TCI 2400-2600 stall.

I got the 5.7 Hemi engine/trans in the car and the learned a few things the hard way. The hole I cut with a 2 1/2" hole saw was a hair too big. It was supposed to be at 2 3/8". Plus I had it by the wiper motor and it would not work there efficiently. I had to move it to behind the passengers valve cover. When I got the harness, the email never came through with the directions, or I over looked them (more likely). But all of that info was in there.

I also found that a car trans to engine dust cover is different from the truck one. So, i had to pull the trans again and order a new one, $21 shipped.

Well, I finally got motivated and got back to it. To get the engine running, I had to get the fuel system all buttoned up. I used a 1965 Mustang fuel tank set up for an in tank fuel pump. I also mounted it sideways to utilize the factory fuel inlet. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 260
  • tank3.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 232
  • tank2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 246
Hahaha, that's what my friends and family say :)
I am trying to have this running and driving for the summer. No heat in the garage this winter, no electric, and no cement floor. Slowly I am getting all of that.

-
Back