The Building of the Blue Mistic

-
Great to see things moving forward! I was just buttoning up my fuel cell this morning;) Great minds think alike! Looking forward to the finished project....if there is such a thing;) lol.

Thanks, Carl. What I like about this set up is that it is easy to work on and gives me just over 6" of clearance each side between the frame rails and gas tank to run the exhaust. Gonna get the trunk all epoxy primed tonight so there is no bare metal.

Not yet.....:( have a bit more welding to finish, for the fuel cell support. Then running the fuel line. I'm planning on at least starting it by next month!

I think that if I were to do it again, I would cut this part. Maybe I still will cut it out to make it look better:
I like that idea too. When we start on my Valiant that willl be one of my modifications too. I remember all too well that front end twist. That was in my 6-Pak 440 Rat Trap. R/T.

Last edited:
I am running a Gen3 trans as well, so I am using the factory gasket/spacer. A 545RFE with a TCI 2400-2600 stall.
I probably missed it, but what did you have to do, to get that modern Mopar transmission in that Dart? Otherwise in my case, I'll probably go torqueflight with a gear venders overdrive but don't know yet. I'm open to suggestions. Will be going with 6.1.

Last edited:
I probably missed it, but what did you hVe to do to get that modern Mopar transmission in that Dart? Otherwise in my case, I'll probably go torqueflight with a gear venders overdrive but don't know yet. I'm open to suggestions. Will be going with 6.1.

I had to cut the transmission tunnel out from the firewall to the tale of the transmission and make another one..... twice.

I made one out of 1x2" tube. and bolted it to the subframe connectors. I then modified t to clear an exhaust. I am not happy with the quality of the outcome, so I am going to redo it.
I had to cut out the original trans crossmember area (where it bolts on) just about to the outside bolt holes.
Let me look for pics

This is the first crossmember, I changed it from here:
crossmember-jpg.1714944287

trans-mount-jpg.1714944286

Last edited:
Just reading through this and getting up to speed on your build. (Love it!)

Just curious as to why you decided to swap the trans to the 545RFE when you had a NAG1 with the Hemi you bought in the picture. They are smaller and would fit with much less floor pan modifications and they are strong enough. I'm pretty sure that HotWirez make a harness for it too. I know how big the RFE transmission are since I'm a Product Engineer at the Plant that makes them!!! The RFE is a great transmission and should work fine. I wonder how your TCI converter compares to the one used the later R/T trucks as they had a slightly higher stall speed (K Factor) than the regular trucks of the same year, at least when the R/T truck with the RFE was originally introduced. Also going to the newer 65RFE was only a software change to make it a 6 speed. I wonder if HotWirez could make that happen. Looking forward to an update!

Thanks for the compliment. When I started the build a few years back, the NAG1 harness was not figured yet, and guys that had the NAG1, attempting to use it, were having conversion issues. Also, I had the AWD version of the trans. I was also contemplating converting the Dart to AWD, but the trans was also cracked and unusable.
The project is still coming along slowly, as I am building the garage around it as well.

This all looks "GREAT"!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the inspiration and the information - keep posting, I'll get there soon enough.

It's a slow process. I am still working on it little by little. Have a lot more done, I will take pics when I get a chance

-
Back