The Building of the Blue Mistic

-

jrlegacy23

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
I have newly acquired a beautiful 1970 Dodge Dodge Dart from FABO member (bnichols). I had a 1972 that I was building, but it needed a little more work than I originally planned to put into it. I plan to lower the 70 a bit with Hotchkis in the rear and a HemiDenny coilover front K-Member. I also have a nice warmed over 340 with a 3000 stall A904 and a reverse maual valve body auto trans that I got from another FABO member (Old Mopars).
Here is the car that I am starting with:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

What John said...good looking Dart, just remember to watch out for the Snowball effect. At least you have several nice parts stockpiled from the 72' so it should go fast.

let the fun begin!

ya know...I'm only a couple hundred miles away...I could be there in about ..what?...nine or ten hours?

Thanks guys. I may have to take a trip with the car out to Columbus for the Nationals one of these years. I plan on having it done for Carlisle this year. But, like Ross said... snowball effect.
I just put the Grant Tuff wheel on the other day, I bought it on craigslist for $20 including the Mopar adapter kit. I will take a pic and get it posted.

We plan on making Carlisle this year with the boys

my wife wouldn't go near us....too much BS...not to mention the gas

Here is the $20 Craigslist Tuff Wheel installed. It definitely improves the interior, compliments everything nicely.
Before:
attachment.php

After:

Attachments

• tuff wheel.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 2,359
Here is when the vinyl top was put on by American Muscle Cars in Illinois. They were the owners previously to bnichols.

Attachments

• vtop.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 2,334
  • new top.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 2,324
  • dart top 002.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 2,383
  • DARTDONE 002.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2,347
The car was running like crap when I got it. The carb was running real rich. I bought the carburetor rebuild kit and pulled the carb off, rebuilt it, and put it back on. I had my son out in the car (planting the Mopar seed), and he was helping out as I put the rebuilt carburetor back on. Here are a couple pics:

Attachments

• IMG_1252.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2,323
  • IMG_1253.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 2,311
My buddy and I installed the subframe connectors tonight. Here are some starter pics:

Attachments

• cap2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,240
  • sub1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 2,260
  • sub.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2,266
I had him cap the inside of the tubing so it does not collect moisture and dirt in there:

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2,225
I drove the car a half mile to his house. He welded everything up, and I drove it back home. The one thing I noticed right away was that the car does not get that slight Mopar front end twisting on acceleration.

lookin good. Comin along nice and quick.
Looks to be in real nice shape. I kinda like the sport mirror on it are ya gonna put one on the other side?
And the capin the connector is an awesome idea. Thanks for it

Bnichols, whom I bought the car from, put that on there before I bought it. I am going get one for the passengers side at some point.

Here are some finished pics. Just for anyone copying this, I did not weld the frame connectors with the car on jack stands. The car was raised on all four wheels when welded in:

Attachments

• finished1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 2,198
  • finished2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 2,187
I think that if I were to do it again, I would cut this part. Maybe I still will cut it out to make it look better:

Attachments

• cut out.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,186
After rebuilding the carb, I have found that the top was warped and could not get it to seal and stop leaking fuel. I ended up buying another carb from a member here. The engine is running much smoother and stronger, but I need to change the plugs now.
I took it down the road and did a little one wheel peel 100 foot burn out. The subframe connectors not only take that twisting out of acceleration, but it seems to put the power to the ground quite a bit better. I was not expecting that.

-
Back