The Cracker Barrel

-
All my time was TDY, BNOC, ANOC, Tank Cdr Crs, M1 Transition, M1A1/A2 transition, Bradly Transition and multiple armor conferences. Not much around that area. Eating in the dining facilities of the Cav regiment was an option but a lot of standing in line to pay the per diem rates. If I was there for more than two weeks I would just get a small refer and micro wave. During the week eat ala micro wave then weekends eat at the local places. At Knox off and on 1988 to 1995.
That's about the same times I was there full time.
There certainly wasn't much there on post to eat aside from the Burger King. There were a couple
mess halls that were great, but if you didn't know about them, you wouldn't find them.
If you were at any of the Armor schools, you weren't even close.
There a lot good places to go off post, but if you stayed on the main drag, all you'd see was the chains.
There used to a great place called Doe Run Inn. In fact, about 10 years ago I had to go to Bowling Green for training, I detoured off I-65 to stop by. Sadly, it's now closed.
That whole area is a shell of what it used to be.
After the Armor Center left, Knox became the home to US Army Recruiting Command and US Army Human Resources/Finance. Basically what Ft. Benjamin Harrison was and that didn't end well.

That's about the same times I was there full time.
There certainly wasn't much there on post to eat aside from the Burger King. There were a couple
mess halls that were great, but if you didn't know about them, you wouldn't find them.
If you were at any of the Armor schools, you weren't even close.
There a lot good places to go off post, but if you stayed on the main drag, all you'd see was the chains.
There used to a great place called Doe Run Inn. In fact, about 10 years ago I had to go to Bowling Green for training, I detoured off I-65 to stop by. Sadly, it's now closed.
That whole area is a shell of what it used to be.
After the Armor Center left, Knox became the home to US Army Recruiting Command and US Army Human Resources/Finance. Basically what Ft. Benjamin Harrison was and that didn't end well.

Too bad, I liked Knox. I remember they use to run SCCA events at the airfield.

-
Back