The "Dakota King" strikes again!!!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I am SSSOOOOOO stupid. Drug home a Dakota big cab, v6, transmission has a problem. Battery was way down, I didn't even try to start it. Shifter acts like it's disconnected??? Maybe that is what's wrong LOL.

The good? Decent tires and body is straight. Cruise, AC, Pioneer radio added. It's 2WD so that "might" be an A500 core I hope it isn't the WTF newer all electronic "thing" 545?? whatever?? Don't know when they went to that. I can't get under it and it STAYS on the trailer until I get the title transferred.

The BAD!!!! Body has terminal cancer. Rotted at bottom of cab under doors, bed rotted behind flares, Both bumpers are GONE Paid all of 200 bucks. Too bad, I need that bed for the last one LOL

You can see the GROUND down through the front bumper where the grill fits down. It IS a chrome grill and it doesn't look too bad

The interior is not torn up but IS dirty and SMELLS like someone smoked 26 hours a day inside!!

IMG_1446cs.JPG

IMG_1447cs.JPG

IMG_1448cs.JPG

IMG_1449cs.JPG

that aint white

Actually, the "mini whales" ain't......all...........white.........LMAO

Only TWO of the Dakotas are white LOL The one I drive and the last one I bought....... for which I could have used this bed

I DO (and likely will) use the rad support out of it though!!

Wohooooo. Heck the wheels are worth $200. Love the 97 to 03 dakota’s. Cheap, easy to work on and easy to make fast if ya want.
Have had three. My current one lil red is jealous he is not an extended cab.lol.

88AF5168-7404-44CB-9F26-A85C619FCD7E.jpeg

Well all RIGHTY then!!

Got underneath and my "shifter suspicions" were RIGHT!!!! The cable is all screwed up near the column shaft/ left front tire. Used pliers and got it into neutral and started. Evidently it was "on the edge" of the detent because I fired it, let it idle and watched the gauges, then revevved it a bit.....AND IT IS IN GEAR and TRYING TO PULL!!! So the transmission is likely not "out" its more like "bad cable!!!"

AND idled it a bit and the AC WORKS!!!

Hell I might just fix the cable strip out the stinky interior, and drive it awhile!!!

..................Or...........use the front support to fix the mini white whale II LMAO

Del, go to your local O'Reilly and buy three or four Ozium air fresheners. The little blue can. Pull the seals and put them in. Most all the dealers here use it for smoker vehicles. It FLAT WORKS.

I like the color, too bad the clear coat is going. looks fairly straight, I've always liked the looks of the 2nd gen. Don't care that much for the last gen's looks.

I think I'm gonna part it Rob. The seats have a LOT of wear even though not torn up. I think I'll fix the "recent" mini white whale. IT needs a rear window, my driver needs a windshield.

The white one is a V6 4x4 interior is decent. It needs a rad support/ rad/ condenser bumper valence. And a bed..........and some repairs to the rear side of the cab behind the door. It will make a GREAT second driver/ more economical than the V8

The transmission out of this one can be an A500 core for the Dart.

Rt front fender can go to the green one up home, which "I hope" will get a hemi some time It still needs a bed, LOL. Both the green one and white one have bed damage to the left side. The "new" one has bad cancer under the flares..........

And LOL it has the obligatory Pioneer / USB aftermarket radio.......with the 1000 function multi menu "big knob" which is impossible to operate when driving LOL

IMG_1432cs.JPG

IMG_1431cs.JPG

IMG_1439cs.JPG

IMG_0088cs.JPG

IMG_0090cs.JPG

Del ,oh my ...
Always likes the 1st gen Dakota.
Wanna hot rod a short box ,so bad.

So....how many vehicles total do you have "around there" now and what do the neighbors think? LOL

How many Dakotas do you own ?
You must know your way around them pretty well by now !

Dang, you have the energy of 2 18 year olds...... or 5 millennial 18 year olds.

Either way, you seem to have more motivation and GO than most of us

Bear in mind the Durango and the black rolled one were junked and gone. I have the bare chassis for the rolled one. It's engine/ trans are now in the V8 white one I drive

I have the beatup green 2wd which I was hoping to swap a hemi
I have the black 4x4 which lost a pinion nut and flailed the driveshaft around and BROKE THE TRANSMISSION (not the transfer)
I have the white V8 which I now drive

I have the white V6 which I just bought
I have the brown/ red one I just now hauled home.

These are difficult for me to work on. On the 4x4s the transfer case "overhangs" the permanent T bar cross member, so you have to remove the transfer case before you can remove the trans crossmember and drop the rear of the transmission down. Very tight up in the exhaust area, and removing bellhousing bolts is no fun

The BIGGEST nonsense is that the front axle IS BOLTED TO BRACKETS which ATTACH TO THE ENGINE/ ENGINE MOUNTS. Those are REALLY no fun!!

So....how many vehicles total do you have "around there" now and what do the neighbors think? LOL

Two of them are up at the estate up north, which, by the way, STILL is not sold. I just tonight emailed the financial advisers and told him "we need to get pushy" on this.

If I ever see that money, I'll have to find a "local farmer" and rent a corner of his back lot for a few bucks, etc?

Too darn bad this thing has bad cancer. The body is STRAIGHT

So how many ?
5 ?
Sounds like you know the ins and outs.
Do you have a 360 magnum and a short bed 2whl drive ?

No lol, the V8 is a 200k mile 4x4 "or so" 5.2 but it runs good for now

Well I went down to the DMV and dealt with their incredibly stupid "sign in" bullshit but I DID get the title transferred. Figured that the shifter (cable) is the problem, so I tied a pull wire to the lever to pull it back, and use pliers up front to pull the other way. Was able to get it into drive, and go 'round the block

Only ran it 5? minutes, sounds good, only drive about 4-5 blocks, it seems to shift OK. Backed it onto the hoist and "took a rest"

The "smell" is not mostly from smoking it turns out. Now that it has spend a couple days in the sun, and heated it up good, IT SMELLS. I may yank the seats and all upholstry out fix the shifter and drive it awhile. "We'll see" LOL

Bypassed the NSS so it will start. "Preset" it in gear foot on the brakes and start er up
IMG_1456cs.JPG

The bad shift cable

IMG_1454cs.JPG

IMG_1451cs.JPG

Finally realized "the smell" wasn't really smoking.......it turns out they must'a been using the thing for a kennel for a huge gigantic muskrat---er somethin. I could barely stand to get in it after being out in the sun. (It was under a carport). STINK!!!!! I ripped out everything that even LOOKED like cloth and threw it in the trash, including the filthy dirty seats and console.

Getting to be less and less..............

Removed one rear flare and my fears are realized. The bed is essentially junk. Hope the front fenders fare better but I don't have much "faith" LOL

IMG_1457cs.JPG

IMG_1458cs.JPG

IMG_1462cs.JPG

IMG_1463cs.JPG

Damn. Thats some narley lookin hair ballage in back. Looks like ya got a buck or two n change under seats though.lol.

-
Back