The everyman's 360 LA Eddy headed engine dyno tested

-

RAMM

Reaction score
So like the thread title says this is your truly average Mopar smallblock that seems to be fairly popular. People ask for a nice 400HP small block street engine w/aluminum heads all the time.
This is engine I am about to test is representative of what I see many people asking about here actually.
'73 360 block .030" SRP flat tops 1/16" ring pack -.010" deck
Stock rods ARP bolts
Stock cast crank .010/.020 balanced
Comp 270H camshaft / Melling lifters
Crane Gold 1.5 rockers
Stock style pass car oil pan w/Mopar HV oil pump
Edelbrock RPM heads w/2.02/1.60 valves, springs w/good Viton valve seals
Edelbrock 318/360 Performer (ancient)
Holley 750 dbl pump/ MSD billet dist/Taylor wires

This engine should be close to 10-1 comp and pumps 175 psi in all cylinders as it is.

Hoping for a really torquey engine and 400hp or more (aren't we always hoping?) More importantly I want good oil pressure trends, ZERO leaks, ZERO blowby and ZERO unexpected/bad noises. What say you? J.Rob

365Eddyheads.jpg

357 crank horsepower, 382tq.
What do I win if I guess closest?
Will you overhaul my junk if I ship it to you?
It's almost the same exact build Engine Masters used in thier Stock vs Stroker show, would make a great thread to see what YOU could wring out of it! ;-)

Last edited:
That's got to do better than the old 380 hp create engine. I'll say 425 hp / 425 lbs-ft at 5800 rpm / 4300 rpm

357 crank horsepower, 382tq.
What do I win if I guess closest?
Will you overhaul my junk if I ship it to you?
It's almost the same exact build Engine Masters used in thier Stock vs Stroker show, would make a great thread to see what YOU could wring out of it! ;-)

I hope it makes more than that.
I will machine and assemble an engine for just about anyone--why not you?
You know you are right although theirs had WAY more cam with 240 something @ .050" duration. This cam is 220 @ .050" that is easily a 20 or more HP difference in power potential.

I wish I had the freedom to WRING as much as possible out of this but this is literally a super basic 30 over flat top 360 with a small cam and EDDY heads bolted on. I cleaned up the heads and resurfaced them because they were used. These are not ported what so-ever and I get more of a warm and fuzzy feeling when working on iron. J.Rob

I told the guy 400 or so with real good manners, from what I'm told it is for his wife's E-body. J.Rob

That's got to do better than the old 380 hp create engine. I'll say 425 hp / 425 lbs-ft at 5800 rpm / 4300 rpm

At first blush I would agree with you but.....Why does it have to do better than the old 380HP crate? They were a solid engine with a way bigger cam, racy single plane intake, heads that flow about the same. Although I do like your optimistic guess I doubt it will get there with a personality that his wife will find acceptable. J.Rob

I was actually referring to their stroker being like mine but both were running a Comp XE285HL .

Moper helped me figure out my combo and estimated 425hp and close to 500tq.

I would be very curious to see what you could wring out of my engine, which other than pistons is almost part for part the stroker they ran, would make a nice pair with that 360 you are doing to see how yours would compare to theirs!

My guess for your 360 was also based on my Edebrock ports being about as smooth as a wet wash rag.
You'll probably surpass my numbers with your attention to details.

I'd say 407 hp/438 lbs-ft. Similar to what I'm putting together but w/1.6 rockers

I can hardly wait for the results, you gonna dyno it tonight, right.:thumbsup: I have a 340 that is almost identical to that build.

At first blush I would agree with you but.....Why does it have to do better than the old 380HP crate? They were a solid engine with a way bigger cam, racy single plane intake, heads that flow about the same. Although I do like your optimistic guess I doubt it will get there with a personality that his wife will find acceptable. J.Rob

Not knocking the create engine good power for just a cam, intake and headers and many said it made more like 400-420 hp.

Your cam and intake (was the intake gasket matched hear its worth 20 hp on that one?) is weaker but you got more CR and I thought edlebrock heads flowed 40 or cfm or more than stock magnums?

Either way I stand by my numbers probably high on the rpm.

Should be a good combo would like one like that for my 65 Cuda :)

Careful, I might take you up on that!

The longblock was assembled by a passed away buddy and I can't ask him if he did everything correctly. As much as I appreciate him, I don't think it makes the power it should, though my own lack of tuning skills could be a major factor.

I'm very curious to see what it does! Comp's cam quest says 346 hp/436 tq. But I honestly have a hard time believing it won't make 1hp/cube. I know a lot of guys do 360's with XE268H which is pretty similar to this and just stock iron heads with a good intake. And lots of them hit 380-400 horse. So I'm gunna put my guess at 400 horse and 425 torque.

I just watched the newest episode of roadkill garage today. And Steve Dulcich has a 360 making 520 horse on the engine dyno, in his truck. And its a dead simple engine. Edel heads (ported i assume, he didn't mention). Ported performer intake. 11:1 compression. Solid flat tappet cam. He didn't go into crazy specifics. And once that engine's in a vehicle and hooked up to the water pump and alternator and everything else, it'll make less for sure. But still. Just goes to show that with good planning these engines can make a lot of power.

If I ever won the lottery. I'd probably do builds like this all day long. Test out all the "common" small blocks. 360 as basically "stock" compression and just a cam upgrade. Then with performer intake, unported j heads, xe268h cam. Then with the unported edelbrock heads. Try the xe274h. Then port the j heads and see what it makes. Then port the edel heads. Play with compression ratios. Etc etc. Just all the "usual" small blocks that guys are always asking how much power they make. Give people a real world, no bs, number to work with when they are looking at what to build.

Following. I'm curious to see what it makes. Somewhere between 370 and 380 h.p is my guess. Small cam and the eddie heads wont make more because they want more cam.

My friends Duster has a close replica of this engine in it, same cam, rpm dual plane, 750DP, 10:1 it has cleaned up factory heads that flow around 250...made just over 380hp on the local Dyno.

It has a lot less cam than the MP crate engine, but YOU built it.

So ZERO leaks, ZERO blowby and ZERO noises... I'd say 405 HP@5500 (just to be optimistic) and 430 TQ@4300.

You know you are right although theirs had WAY more cam with 240 something @ .050" duration. This cam is 220 @ .050" that is easily a 20 or more HP difference in power potential.

I wish I had the freedom to WRING as much as possible out of this but this is literally a super basic 30 over flat top 360 with a small cam and EDDY heads bolted on. I cleaned up the heads and resurfaced them because they were used. These are not ported what so-ever and I get more of a warm and fuzzy feeling when working on iron. J.Rob
These cams WORKED,in the day.... Never seen a dyno test, on the 270... Horsepower 390-410, about 420-440 on torque. 1200- 1500 r.p.m. split, on peak torque & peak horsepower.... Really an unforgotten set, on parts...(yet ,they still work....).

These cams WORKED,in the day.... Never seen a dyno test, on the 270... Horsepower 390-410, about 420-440 on torque. 1200- 1500 r.p.m. split, on peak torque & peak horsepower.... Really an unforgotten set, on parts...(yet ,they still work....).

I really like the Magnum series of lobes for their stability, longevity and power production, they are often overlooked these days. I think your guess and quite a few others are spot on. J.Rob

I really like the Magnum series of lobes for their stability, longevity and power production, they are often overlooked these days. I think your guess and quite a few others are spot on. J.Rob
Appreciated, Ramm... The head flow is there, that intake works so well...

It has a lot less cam than the MP crate engine, but YOU built it. I have and still do make mistakes.

So ZERO leaks, ZERO blowby and ZERO noises... I'd say 405 HP@5500 (just to be optimistic) and 430 TQ@4300.

Love your guesstimate. J.Rob

-
Back