The everyman's 360 LA Eddy headed engine dyno tested

-
Appreciated, Ramm... The head flow is there, that intake works so well...

I should have some results in an hour or two. The head flow is certainly better than an old used up "J" head with 3/8" stem 1.88's but it is still nothing to write home about. To be fair I did open the 318 sized ports on the manifold to the Felpro 1213 size but this manifold is nothing like the RPM series. I bet an RPM would be 10-20HP better than whatever this can muster. J.Rob

i'm a little late to the party so I will hold off on my guess but I know it will be a great runner and again J-Robb another fantastic thread .

At first blush I would agree with you but.....Why does it have to do better than the old 380HP crate? They were a solid engine with a way bigger cam, racy single plane intake, heads that flow about the same. Although I do like your optimistic guess I doubt it will get there with a personality that his wife will find acceptable. J.Rob
What personality do you think 'she' is looking for? With the SCR and heads, I expect this will be a good, torquey, well mannered engine that can out wind out a bit when the hubbie sneaks out away to 'change the oil, honey'.

Where is the cam timed? As designed with 4 degrees advance?

I know I winded mine out every chance I got. My son learned to drive in this car. Even took it out on the roadtest, CFII and 9.44 starter gear and all. Mild-mannered is an understatement.With an automatic you'd hardly know it was such a hot lil number.

I know I winded mine out every chance I got. My son learned to drive in this car. Even took it out on the roadtest, CFII and 9.44 starter gear and all. Mild-mannered is an understatement.With an automatic you'd hardly know it was such a hot lil number.
Exactly....the torque of the high CR makes the torque curve much less 'peaky' by bringing up the lower end of the curve. Too bad dynos numbers typically don't start down at 2500 RPM. (hint, hint...)

What personality do you think 'she' is looking for? With the SCR and heads, I expect this will be a good, torquey, well mannered engine that can out wind out a bit when the hubbie sneaks out away to 'change the oil, honey'.

Where is the cam timed? As designed with 4 degrees advance?

Cam cam in 1 degree behind --Figured it wasn't worth chasing and wanted to emulate what many have done and just plug it in dot 2 dot. J.Rob

So, has this been dyno'd yet?

Yes. This was the best I could wring out of the customer supplied 750 dbl pump w/electric choke. J.Rob

750DBLbest.JPG

This was a hot oil, cold water, clean cold air dyno pull. I love showing these types of pulls to the 383 Chev guys and tell them its a stock stroke 360. J.Rob

Bonzaipull.JPG

Somebody asked for a test as low as 2500 rpm. I also swapped my 750 Ultra on at this point. No difference in top end but response , idle quality is vastly improved with a little bump in torque. J.Rob

2500-5600rpm.JPG

That is an AWESOME torque curve for general fun driving, IMHO. Thanks very much for the low end numbers too; that is what really makes 'driveability' on the street for most people. Numbers down to 2500 tell the story for everyday driving response.

Wow! Very nice, and damn close to what I thought it might do. Hope my combo delivers similar!:thumbsup:

That is an AWESOME torque curve for general fun driving, IMHO. Thanks very much for the low end numbers too; that is what really makes 'driveability' on the street for most people. Numbers down to 2500 tell the story for everyday driving response.

I'm a little surprised with the torque as well. I figured 420-425 ft/lbs at peak and I would be happy. It should move the E-body just fine. J.Rob

Wow! Very nice, and damn close to what I thought it might do. Hope my combo delivers similar!:thumbsup:

Totally true, many, many people guessed pretty much right on. Maybe I should get rid of the dyno and just consult here in the future. Would save a lot of time and $$$ but not nearly as fun. J.Rob

I got a question on that cause those are full throttle numbers. So like you said for every day driving if I pull away from a light would the torque follow the same curve but be at a lesser percentage or would the curve be vastly different for part throttle driving ??

Either way nice job on the engine glad to see 400 plus numbers. Shows you can build a solid streetable engine with the right parts.
Wonder how much an air gap would add to that combo ?

This is good stuff, great work. More dyno! So now with what you see this motor putting out and how it does it, for a 3300+/- lb auto vehicle, what torque converter and gearing would you say (or others) would be ideal??

Totally true, many, many people guessed pretty much right on. Maybe I should get rid of the dyno and just consult here in the future
Haha :thumbsup:. I was pretty damn close. And I know shiaat about engines. But I contemplated from my ' curve tracing archive'.
Love those down to earth build ups!

-
Back