The everyman's 360 LA Eddy headed engine dyno tested

-
Nice job.........would be nice to see under a budget ... what would it take to sneak another 100HP out of this bad boy .........

Nice job.........would be nice to see under a budget ... what would it take to sneak another 100HP out of this bad boy .........

Intake and a big cam would get you most of the way there and add some head work and more CR probably get you the rest of the way.

What vacuum does it pull at idle ??

It is about 10" @ 750-800 rpm and 15 intital timing with the customers 750. Idle improved quite a bit with my 4 corner idle XP, but I lost the vaccum port so no reading. J.Rob

This is good stuff, great work. More dyno! So now with what you see this motor putting out and how it does it, for a 3300+/- lb auto vehicle, what torque converter and gearing would you say (or others) would be ideal??
My friends 70 Duster makes almost the same power, we have driven it to the track with 3:55 gears and a 3000 stall and ran 13:20 on small drag radials, full weight car other than a fibreglass hood.

My friends 70 Duster makes almost the same power, we have driven it to the track with 3:55 gears and a 3000 stall and ran 13:20 on small drag radials, full weight car other than a fibreglass hood.
Good to know, I'm using a Howards cam similar to the Comp 270h, Isky 270 mega, with 1.6 rockers and a gasket matched Weiand Action, likely a Street Demon, ported EQ heads all else about the same (cubes, CR, etc).3300 lb A100 van w/3.73 gear, still need to settle on TC. Goal is high 12's. Great thread, jacked to get the ball really rolling on my build!

13.2s are a PW of .080 at a race weight of 3300 that is 3300x .080=264 hp required. if you lost a half second due to chassis set-up, it would be .089, and .089x3300 =294 hp
Just saying

At 400 hp, that is 400/3300= .121 pw, and should go 11.6 with unlimited chassis. Add a half second for street chassis and you get 12.1seconds

But ET is deceptive; a better yardstick for power is the trap speed.
At 3300 pounds;400 hp should go 115 mph,294 should go 103,and 264 should go 99.

Don't feel too bad; 3.55s is the total wrong gear. You can easily trap in second gear with that. 101=6550 with 28" tires and 5% slip. That is not the quick way home. But worse is trapping in third@ 4500,lol.
For a trapspeed of 101, a better gear is 4.88s. These will get you 6200, pretty good Rs for a 268* cam.With slicks,SS springs, and that 3000TC, this will launch like a jack-hammer.

So the big question is; do you recall your buddy's trapspeed?

Last edited:
13.2s are a PW of .080 at a race weight of 3300 that is 3300x .080=264 hp required. if you lost a half second due to chassis set-up, it would be .089, and .089x3300 =294 hp
Just saying

Years ago I had a dyno verified 381hp , 360 that I went 12.5's @ 3500lb F-body @ 108 mph. J.Rob

Just saying
It's a street car not set up for drag racing, and it runs exactly what I would expect it to.

First time I use this oil. I am impressed over all but it almost burned out my Makita drill while priming. I gotta wonder if power would have been a little better with a lighter oil. J.Rob

IMG_20170310_134215.JPG

Just saying

At 400 hp, that is 400/3300= .121 pw, and should go 11.6 with unlimited chassis. Add a half second for street chassis and you get 12.1seconds

But ET is deceptive; better yardstick for power is the trap speed.
At 3300 pounds;400 hp should go 115 mph,294 should go 103,and 264 should go 99.

Just remember the Dyno give you CORRECTED HP numbers.....corrected for perfect air.......Now where in the hell in this country does a racer find perfect air...so the actual HP is going to be less in the car....

Also the engine does not run down the track at PEAK HP rpm...it has to launch ,,,rpm has to come up...shift ..the rpm gets dragged down to converter stall or thereabouts...and the rpm must accelerate and shift again...so usually plugging in the peak hp will not give you a correct et or mph....Plugging in the peak hp will give you a Fantasy ET...

Last edited:
Years ago I had a dyno verified 381hp , 360 that I went 12.5's @ 3500lb F-body @ 108 mph. J.Rob
My 344 hp Dyno tested 340 went 12:20 in a Scamp set up for drag racing.....same engine went 13:30 in my 74 Challenger street car. The car set up is a huge factor....

My retirement dream. After moving to Alabama.

Or Louisiana. If I ever moved to the states I think those two are on the top of my list.

I'm a little surprised with the torque as well. I figured 420-425 ft/lbs at peak and I would be happy. It should move the E-body just fine. J.Rob

I figured 425 tq as well. At first I started to think maybe 435. It's got the small duration to make great torque, I really like the IVC on that cam for low end. But then thought maybe that was a little high. I'd rather guess 10 under and be wrong rather than guess 10 over and be wrong. It's a strong engine. And 400 tq at 2500 is no sneeze. It'll cook tires with ease.

Kinda starts making me wonder exactly what my setup is making. I know it was (probably under) rated by the builder at 380 horse, It's got J heads with 2.02 valves/top end valve job, light port work and it's got the XE274H so a step or two up from this cam. But that 380 horse was with 340 HP manifolds. I got headers on it now. And am putting the FItech setup on it. Along with new distributor and such. Should dyno it after that. Curious to see what it puts down.

Just remember the Dyno give you CORRECTED HP numbers.....corrected for perfect air.......Now where in the hell in this country does a racer find perfect air...so the actual HP is going to be less in the car....

Also the engine does not run down the track at PEAK HP rpm...it has to launch ,,,rpm has to come up...shift ..the rpm gets dragged down to converter stall or thereabouts...and the rpm must accelerate and shift again...so usually plugging in the peak hp will not give you a correct et or mph....Plugging in the peak hp will give you a Fantasy ET...

Hey, I got these numbers straight from the Direct Connection Bulletin #40. They were empirically collected and amassed by Chrysler engineers and racing teams in the 60s and early 70s. I don't question their data. Those guys were waaay smarter than me.

Stop using ET to calculate HP.

MPH is HP and ET is HOOK. If an A body makes 400 HP I don't care if it hooks or not, it will run a MPH commensurate with its HP.
I personally wouldn't use et to calculate horsepower..... but everyone I know always asks the same thing.... how much horsepower does it take to run a certain et

I predict 431 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm and 413 hp @ 5,600 rpm. Wait........is it all over? Shucks.....Nice Job Jesse.

I personally wouldn't use et to calculate horsepower..... but everyone I know always asks the same thing.... how much horsepower does it take to run a certain et

You are right, it does take a certain HP to run a certain ET. I just don't use ET to verify HP. I use MPH. Then I look at ET to tell me how well it's hooking.

An example is a car that runs 12.46 at 109.87 MPH. It's making enough power to go low 12's or even dip into the 11's.

Car B runs 12.46 at 104.50. We can say car B is pretty well sorted out. It's ET and MPH match fairly close.

Car C runs 12.46 and 118.23 MPH. We know that pig didn't hook at all, and he needs to work on chassis.

ET and MPh go together but MPH is HP and ET is hook. Too many bracket racers have made HP obsolete in their minds. The best bracket racers pay attention to MPH.

Bring back MODIFIED Eliminator.

This was a hot oil, cold water, clean cold air dyno pull. I love showing these types of pulls to the 383 Chev guys and tell them its a stock stroke 360. J.Rob

View attachment 1715026428

Hey! Be Nice! 'Cause when a Mopar guy builds his first pump gas 383 Chevy for a friends 4x4 truck, it just might make 484 LB-FT and 518 HP.

You are right, it does take a certain HP to run a certain ET. I just don't use ET to verify HP. I use MPH. Then I look at ET to tell me how well it's hooking.

An example is a car that runs 12.46 at 109.87 MPH. It's making enough power to go low 12's or even dip into the 11's.

Car B runs 12.46 at 104.50. We can say car B is pretty well sorted out. It's ET and MPH match fairly close.

Car C runs 12.46 and 118.23 MPH. We know that pig didn't hook at all, and he needs to work on chassis.

ET and MPh go together but MPH is HP and ET is hook. Too many bracket racers have made HP obsolete in their minds. The best bracket racers pay attention to MPH.

Bring back MODIFIED Eliminator.

Exactly....I have switched engines between cars and had over a second drop in ET with the same power train. I like this everyman's 360 build because it is what I would tell someone to duplicate if they wanted a nice 12 second-ish street A body...sure one guy might run 11's with it and the next would go low 13's but 400hp is a nice power level for a these cars, just keeps them out of roll bar and wheel tub territory.

Hey! Be Nice! 'Cause when a Mopar guy builds his first pump gas 383 Chevy for a friends 4x4 truck, it just might make 484 LB-FT and 518 HP.

Gee, I wonder who the Mopar guy is that built his first 383 that made 484 tq/518hp? Can ya give me a hint? J.Rob

Hey, I got these numbers straight from the Direct Connection Bulletin #40. They were empirically collected and amassed by Chrysler engineers and racing teams in the 60s and early 70s. I don't question their data. Those guys were waaay smarter than me.

used to read that bulletin while sitting on the toilet....it gives a power to weight ratio....does not say if the power is peak or an average....so guess on that one....

-
Back