The French Drag Racers need your HELP !

-

FrenchDragRacer

Reaction score
Hello guys,

It is becoming increasingly difficult to organize drag races in France. In 2014 we will no longer have access to the numerous airfields we have been using for years and through which drag racing has thrived in France. The only solution to prevent drag racing from disappearing entirely in France is to build our first bone fide permanent drag strip.

The site has been identified, the former airfield of Clastres in the region of Picardie, located in northeastern France, which will be attractive to racers from North and Eastern Europe. A short two-hour drive from Paris, the track would be within easy reach by specialized and mainstream media all located in France’s capital, an important factor for the success of the track and the sport of drag racing in France.

Financing has been secured to a certain level and will be supplied by the local communities with further financial aid being seeked from the region national and international sources. To show the authorities and the financiers that there genuinely is strong interest for this permanent drag strip project, we have created a petition to actually quantify this support.

It is therefore ESSENTIAL we gather the most signatures possible.

We are therefore seeking support from drag racing fans worldwide to reach our goal of finally having our very first own permanent strip, which we hope will open the door to more being built throughout the country. France is currently the only European country, other than Switzerland, not to own a genuine drag strip!

To sign the petition please click on the link below and scroll to the bottom of the page and please fill out the short questionnaire:

http://www.trophee-dragster.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=166%3Asoutien-a-la-creation-dune-piste-de-dragster&catid=1%3Aaccueil&lang=fr

Click to enlarge:

Thank you for reading.

i'm willing to sign it but it's very funny big guy, how many of us do you think can read or speak french.

Here is the page with the English. I skipped right over it the first time.

manifeste_EN.jpg

It's really easy guys. It starts out in French but if you scroll down to the end it starts over in English and is repeated in German. The part that you fill out is toward the bottom and is in all 3 languages. All the information they want is your name, email address, connection with drag racing (driver, mechanic, fan), age group, and sex. I managed to make my way through it and I only speak hillbilly....

It's really easy guys. It starts out in French but if you scroll down to the end it starts over in English and is repeated in German. The part that you fill out is toward the bottom and is in all 3 languages. All the information they want is your name, email address, connection with drag racing (driver, mechanic, fan), age group, and sex. I managed to make my way through it and I only speak hillbilly....

Good guy ! :thumrigh:

Call me overly skeptical, but I wouldn't give away my information (name, email, etc) to someone I don't know over the internet..........JMO.

Done! Good luck.
Growing up in Southern California back in the '60s I've seen way too many famous dragstrips disappear. Names like OCIR, Lions, Irwindale, Fontana (the original), San Fernando, etc. It used to be that you could attend races at several on the same weekend.

Just curious but how many cars are involved in drag racing in France. When I served in the Army in the mid 80s in Germany, drag racing was popular as lots of Americans brought hotrods and some race cars over. Germans raced anything they could get there hands on and they had some dedicated strips. Still do. When I went to a French commando school it didnt seem like there was a place to race a Lecar. But that was near the Belgium border. Good luck with it.

Just curious but how many cars are involved in drag racing in France. When I served in the Army in the mid 80s in Germany, drag racing was popular as lots of Americans brought hotrods and some race cars over. Germans raced anything they could get there hands on and they had some dedicated strips. Still do. When I went to a French commando school it didnt seem like there was a place to race a Lecar. But that was near the Belgium border. Good luck with it.

On each race we have 200 drivers. (Drag Car and Drag Bike)

200 cars and bikes thats great. How much per car would you charge. I will have to check the conversion rate. We here are losing some entrants on weekly events and more so on some of the yearly events. Again good luck to you. When you get a chance send some photos of the action. Weve seen action from Brazil. Australia and England.

Well, I signed the petition last week and I am surprised to see it posted here!

Just to let you know Drag racing here in Germany is still going strong! Some of the tracks have closed down (Giebestadt, Hanau, Fliegerhorst etc.). Hockenheim is around and now Bitburg for the last ten years. If there was a track in France I would be willing to utilize it and if they offered more than one or two events a year would be awesome!

Ah, those tracks bring back memories. nothing like cruising the autobahn at 90 mph and holding up traffic in a Blown twin carbed big block 71 camaro. not mine. Back then not many Mopars.

Well, I signed the petition last week and I am surprised to see it posted here!

Yes ? Good ! Where did you find the link last week?

200 cars and bikes thats great. How much per car would you charge. I will have to check the conversion rate. We here are losing some entrants on weekly events and more so on some of the yearly events. Again good luck to you. When you get a chance send some photos of the action. Weve seen action from Brazil. Australia and England.

100€ for each race of championship and 50€ for a Run What Ya Brung.
The prices are not comparable with a permanent Dragstrip because as we bring every time all the equipment in place for the race (Porta-Tree Timer, safety barriers, advertising billboards,...) with one big truck and 2 mini vans and we must
disassemble all after the race. This is a lot of work because here where the equipment is stored is at hundreds of kilometers of the race. It is a financial cost that must be recovered in the price of registration of drivers, the entrance fee for visitors, merchandising,... There are also financial rewards that we give to the four first winners in each category for each race and also the rewards at the final race of championship.

We have similar stuff going on here in the Netherlands.
No permanent strip, only 3 events a year. The events are called Drachten Dragracing by the Explosion Dragrace club.
At every event everything has to be built up on thursday and be gone again on sunday night/monday morning.
We have grandstands, 1/4mile guardrails, timing and and loudspeakers-equipment to put up and tear down. There are also a number of diesel powered powersupply-units for the racers.

Admittance fee is ridiciously high at around 250 Euro's plus an additional 50,- for mandatory membership of the dragrace-club.

In the past the dragrace-club used to organise the entire event, but a few years ago this has been done by an external/related 3rd party. But now there's a bit of narrowminded fighting going on over money issues, because the last 2-3 years most of the events have been rained out.
There's a good chance there won't be any dragracing at all this year.

You might want to post the flyer on the Explosion-webforum aswell for more people to sign it.
http://www.explosiondragracing.com/forum

-
Back