The Full Experience

-

Kevo

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I got a 1968 Dodger Dart with a 318 (previous /6) and i was wondering a few things. After reading the threads on here, getting a 318 with decent horsepower seems like a lot more work that its worth. I have been slowly dipping into the different aspects of rebuilding and restoring a car, and i was wondering if there are any good threads and books on rebuilding an engine. I dont have the ridiculous amounts of money to buy a mopar crate engine, and i have found quite a few 340s, 383s, and 440s on craigslist and it would be nice to learn to rebuild an engine.

Any help is appreciated!

In my opinion, I gotta say that if you find an engine that's an 'easy rebuild,' IE not needing a bunch of machine work just to rebuild it and get it together, and a mild street engine, IE not ridiculous compression ratio, etc, probably the most bang for the buck is a 360. Speaking strictly LA, not magnum. But you will have to change the pan, as the LA 318/ 360 pans are different, and you'll have to change the (stick) flywheel or buy an aftermarket balance--correcting flex plate if using a 318/ neutral balance converter.

I think, if the car is in need of a restoration, the place to start is not the engine. I always found it strange that we all want more power and faster - but then don't have enough money for body and paint work. I know for me personally I made that mistake on pretty much every car i did until I was in my 30s. Get the body solid and waterproof, and the car mechanically sound in terms of suspension, brakes, rear axle, etc, then think about an engine.
In terms of an engine - I agree 100% with 67. Find an LA 360 and play witht hat. Always buy a complete running engine if you can unless you have a decent budget and only need the castings.

I agree with these guys. We have been playing with my wife's dart on and off for 9 years. And we are just now touching the block. We have done paint, interior, body work, rear end, suspension you name it. It is now finally getting a 340. It'll suck and you will want it done sooner but take your time.

I'm confused..........dicent HP out of a 318 more work than its worth??? I take it that 400+ hp is not what you consider dicent HP.

There are a half dozen 318 builds spread out thru "Car Craft" "Mopar Muscel", "Engine masters" that make 400+ HP and its my opinion they are inexpensive and easy. Pistons, camshaft, cylinder heads; the same route it would take for 400+hp 360.

Good reference books: "How to Hot Rod the Small Block Mopar" by Larry Shepard is one, there are several how to rebuild build books; sorry don't remember excat titles or authors; when all else fails a factory service manual is good.

One aspect of engine rebuilding is that there is no such thing as too clean!!!!!

Good luck

The 318 can be done up nicely. It all depends on what amount of cash you have to do the engine. There's no big difference cash wise between the small blocks. Se parts are cheaper than others. It's small potatoes. The power output is the bigger difference.

I just don't see spending money on a 340 block as a wise I vestment on a general street build. There typical coat is around the $700 or better mark. That is a lot of cash to start from square one when your 318 block could be well underway at that point.

Once you get your 318 block machined at the final over ore, everything else wil be just like any other small block build.

At a .060 overbore, it will displace 328 cubes. Just 12 down from a standard 340 bore. 12 cubes is not a whole lot to worry about. You'll loose a race more to the actual build being less powerful or bad driving. Trust me when I tell you most people in the street can't drive to well and over rev there engine past peak power making them slower.
It reall doesn't take a whole lotta cam to make some decent power.

Just build it with a slug to get a zero deck height and go from there.

If its a good running 318 just do high lift 262ish cam, 4bbl and headers good for 250+hp (engine master magazine dyno that combo at 282hp) more than enough to move an A body down the road decently for now.

^^^^ for now...... We thought that would be enough for our dart. But seriously you need an end goal and work backwards.

If you want the "full experience" then dive in. Be ready for 2 years full time work. Ask me how I know, It's been a great ride. I feel like the man.

Alright, well to clear things up, the 318 in it is a completely rebuilt engine, i bought the car that way. I havent touched it, i fired it up when i got it, but i had to take out the as tank to weld in a trunk and put in a new axle, so to be clear, the engine is the last thing im gonna do.
As for the 318s, many people replied that it is a good option. Does anyone have a link to the builds these guys did? My only problem is getting the block bored, i really just wanted to do a garage build (a run through so i know how to build the engine) before i start getting into the modification deals.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your $.02, i greatly appreciate it!

Here are a few links I ran across.
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0409_318_engine_build/

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/engine/mopp_0311_318_engine_buildup_and_dyno_test/

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...pp_0312_318_long_block_bolt_ons/pictures.html

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_318_small_block_build/

Hope this helps. Some are just bolt on, one other needs a little bit of DIY machine work.
Everyone is different, to make the same power as a 360, the 'teen will need work and money. But if you're sharp, you can get the 'teen to where it's more fun than stock without breaking the bank. That is good for now. Save money for the 360, or whatever else you want to do, after all it's your dime and your time!

throw a stone stock bottom end big block with a hot cam, 4 barrel intake and carb. set of headers and its hard not to get it into the 12s. your gonna hear alot about how much more it cost to go big block. i call bull ****. quality headers and exhaust cost no matter what engine your using. your gonna need a new trans but that can be done for less than $500. hell my dads demon started with a smogger 400 block with the 509 purple cam and swap meet parts. the car ran 11.80s all day long.

First thing I'd decide how much power you want in what powerband and how much gear your willing to go, also is this a street only or is gonna see some strip time or a lot of strip time. Smaller engines can make the same HP as larger ones just more rpm and gear to be as quick, a 318 probably make the same power as a 360 about 500rpms higher but be a little less streetable for ever HP level you up eg a 350hp 318 will have the same streetablity as a 400hp 360.

I think, if the car is in need of a restoration, the place to start is not the engine. I always found it strange that we all want more power and faster - but then don't have enough money for body and paint work. I know for me personally I made that mistake on pretty much every car i did until I was in my 30s. Get the body solid and waterproof, and the car mechanically sound in terms of suspension, brakes, rear axle, etc, then think about an engine.

I fully agree. Engines are probably the easiest problem to address in a deal like this too.

I'm confused..........dicent HP out of a 318 more work than its worth??? I take it that 400+ hp is not what you consider dicent HP.

There are a half dozen 318 builds spread out thru "Car Craft" "Mopar Muscel", "Engine masters" that make 400+ HP and its my opinion they are inexpensive and easy. Pistons, camshaft, cylinder heads; the same route it would take for 400+hp 360.

Good reference books: "How to Hot Rod the Small Block Mopar" by Larry Shepard is one, there are several how to rebuild build books; sorry don't remember excat titles or authors; when all else fails a factory service manual is good.

One aspect of engine rebuilding is that there is no such thing as too clean!!!!!

Good luck

Two words..............Stroker , Dude. :D
So many options , from buying one that is done to building one on the cheap. I'd seriously consider this. Maybe save for it as you get the rest of the car squared away. Because we all know , there is no point in having a good looking car that can't get out of it's own way.

-
Back