The Humble Bee

-

bargeahead

Wishicouldre member
Reaction score
I guess it's about time I started one of these. I bought the 65 Dart GT ( 273 4bbl, 904 ) last July from eBay. The ad said it needed new wheel cylinders and the brakes bled. The brakes did not need bled. They were bleeding everywhere already.
I know, I know, I should have taken pics to document and post but, oh well.
All new everything brakes from the master to the shoes. All new shocks and Firm Feel UCA's.
It had a new gas tank but the sending unit fitting just didn't get tightened enough. I found this out when filling the tank for the first time and was wondering how big a tank it was when the guy at the next pump over said, " HEY, you're leaking out on the ground big time !".
Fire Department, tow truck. Nuff said.

Did some minor touchup with rattle can on console and new seatbelts.

From underneath the dr side floor pan looked like it needed a 6" X 6" area replaced. See pics.

Humble Bee is now undergoing major surgery to have engine and trans rebuilt. Pics of post surgery to follow when available.

Special thanks to a couple of members who gave great advice on techs or who to call. FABO has truly fantastic people !

Hope to have some body-work touch-up and engine bay paint while "heart-lung" rebuild underway.

And the journey continues.

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

Yeah I was going to "just" do some floor patching and Motor transplant myself.......8 yrs ago LOL If your any thing like me you will not be able to just let things be.

Hows the big guy Titan? Haven't heard from him in awhile.

Yeah I was going to "just" do some floor patching and Motor transplant myself.......8 yrs ago LOL If your any thing like me you will not be able to just let things be.

Hows the big guy Titan? Haven't heard from him in awhile.

Re: Humble Bee..."Sure honey, we'll be able to get the money back when " we " sell it".

Titan is still kicking albeit slower and blinder. He might have a FABO doggie playmate come to see him this week-end. THX

I like those floors. Make sure you have good soles on the shoes before
you attempt to slow down. Just kidding!

Good luck with the restoration...keep the pics coming.

I like those floors. Make sure you have good soles on the shoes before
you attempt to slow down. Just kidding!

Good luck with the restoration...keep the pics coming.

I attempted the Fred Flintstone thing. Decided to go with floor pan and real brake shoes. I learn slow but ....man.... that hurt. THX re resto. Working on it.

You have her blessings and money in the bank,right Roger?:-D

Yes sir Dave, Gloria is on board and I even have a little bit of hope she'll say to go ahead and do the carpet & headliner this summer too.:love6:

Glad to see your fixing up the Early-A.I had issues in the same spot(both sides)it looked good from underneath,but once I pulled the carpet.Pin holes everywhere.I decided to just cut it all out and replace it.Car,s looking good!Is that a Commando 273?

I am so glad you got this started bargeahead :cheers: The Dart looks good for being an Ill. car :thumbrig: or did you get it out of state 8)
I see you and I have a gold int. Do you have the paint code numbers on it ?
Gotta love the early A V6 cars =P~ Keep up the good work :cheers:
Looks like a Lemon Twist yellow know, That is my favorite MoPar color

Glad to see your fixing up the Early-A.I had issues in the same spot(both sides)it looked good from underneath,but once I pulled the carpet.Pin holes everywhere.I decided to just cut it all out and replace it.Car,s looking good!Is that a Commando 273?

THX petty, yep it's the Commando/Charger, getting rebuilt as we speak, 30 over, hotter cam, hardened seats ( and hopefully slightly larger ex valves), and Offy high rise intake.

I am so glad you got this started bargeahead :cheers: The Dart looks good for being an Ill. car :thumbrig: or did you get it out of state 8)
I see you and I have a gold int. Do you have the paint code numbers on it ?
Gotta love the early A V6 cars =P~ Keep up the good work :cheers:
Looks like a Lemon Twist yellow know, That is my favorite MoPar color

Hey Mike, the Dart came from Iowa ( PO, before that ??? ). No, I don't have the paint code for the interior. I'm going to do all the gold to match the console ( Rustoleum Advanced Formula Pure Gold ), close enough for me and a bit cheaper. I'm going to keep the exterior as is since My wife and I both like the unique scheme. Hoping to have the body touched up and engine bay painted next week.

34797-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Bumble-Bee-Character-Pulling-Back-His-Lips-While-Making-A-Funny-.jpg

Today the 273 got torn down for the hot tank bath and the machinist told me it was just in time. Main bearings 'bout ready to give up the ghost and oil sump pick-up partially clogged with various trash.
Lil Humble Bee is now at a buddy's shop for nicks and bubbles touch-up and engine bay paint.

jsw_img_1635.jpg

jsw_img_1637.jpg

Great looking car barge......Love the color scheme! 8)

Good luck w/ the resto.

Great looking car barge......Love the color scheme! 8)

Good luck w/ the resto.

Thank you 6pk2, gonna cost more than thought (body work), wife still "on board" but giving me "looks", she is not quite with the Humble Bee designation instead calling it "money pit". Guess I'll be doing some extra work this summer.

Urbana, Illinois ... Not too far away (5 hours) Maybe we'll both be done with our engines for Mopars on the Mississippi in Dubuque. Where in Iowa did your car come from?

Urbana, Illinois ... Not too far away (5 hours) Maybe we'll both be done with our engines for Mopars on the Mississippi in Dubuque. Where in Iowa did your car come from?

Cool, when is M on the M ? Car came from something Lake or Lake something, about an hour NW of Des Moines.

Well,you're not waisting any time Roger. Look at that man go!:cheers: She's gonna be a serious cruiser when your finished.Keep up the good work.8)

I'm trying Dave. It's just going to kill me having to go back to work for 4 wks on the 4th. Things will be done and I'll be stuck on the boat, bummer.

Thank you 6pk2, gonna cost more than thought (body work), wife still "on board" but giving me "looks", she is not quite with the Humble Bee designation instead calling it "money pit". Guess I'll be doing some extra work this summer.

Cars always cost more $$ than anticipated, but they are priceless when done IMO. The journey is half the pleasure......keep her onboard w/ your resto and let your wife know the "money pit" will one day be finished for her to enjoy too!! Tell her you're building it for both of you :glasses7::icon_smi:

Cars always cost more $$ than anticipated, but they are priceless when done IMO. The journey is half the pleasure......keep her onboard w/ your resto and let your wife know the "money pit" will one day be finished for her to enjoy too!! Tell her you're building it for both of you :glasses7::icon_smi:

Hi Cheryl this is Gloria....

Roger told me that he was building it for both of us. My response, "Yeah, right." I rode in it a couple of times before he had the inside detailed and the electrical problems fixed. I hadn't had to be towed for quite some time before that experience!

I'll keep my driving pleasures to my two-seater red convertible.

break

The preceding brought to you by the love of my life, brg

Hi Cheryl this is Gloria....

Roger told me that he was building it for both of us. My response, "Yeah, right." I rode in it a couple of times before he had the inside detailed and the electrical problems fixed. I hadn't had to be towed for quite some time before that experience!

I'll keep my driving pleasures to my two-seater red convertible.

break

The preceding brought to you by the love of my life, brg

Gloria, Pleasure to meet you :cheers:. Broken down & being towed is part of the journey and makes for great stories down the road! I've learned alot about cars because I so enjoyed my time w/ my guy \\:D/

If it makes him happy, he'll return the favor I'm sure.

Pics of the red vert? Sounds cool 8)

Gloria, Pleasure to meet you :cheers:. Broken down & being towed is part of the journey and makes for great stories down the road! I've learned alot about cars because I so enjoyed my time w/ my guy \\:D/

If it makes him happy, he'll return the favor I'm sure.

Pics of the red vert? Sounds cool 8)

My Father once got us stuck in a car wash by entering the wrong end. What can I say I've been automobile traumatized!

break

This is the only red vert pic I have, I think. brg

IMG_1258.jpg

-
Back