The Humble Bee

-
you know a big problem with the floor rust on these A and B body mopars besides a leaking windshield gasket is the wiper arm shafts.

the seal for the rotating wiper arm shaft to the cast pot metal housing dries out and lets water inside the car since the back half of this part is inside the cowl behind the dashboard. what i did with mine on both of my 2 old dodge charger restorations was to remove these parts from behind the dash when i took each car apart, drilled a hole in each of the housings in an angle that would be accessable when they were remounted, installed a grease fitting in each hole, and pumped a little grease in each one. this not only lubes up the shafts for the wipers, but makes a seal to keep the water out of the interior.

hope this helps
matt

Hadn't thought ( or heard ) of that. Many thanks.

Dont forget to check the area around the fresh air vents inside the cowl.
Years of dirt and leaves get caught up in there and rust away.

8) :read2:

I hope all goes well with the engine Roger.Looks like your making progress in the other areas. All ahead full!8)

I hope all goes well with the engine Roger.Looks like your making progress in the other areas. All ahead full!8)
THX Dave; I'll be full speed as soon as some others engage the gearboxes from " all stop " to at least " slow bell ". Just frustrated, thought we were all on the same page re: timeline.

You'll forget all about these bumps in the road once you take it out cruisin' :toothy10:. Will you shorten the B-Body housing and is it a sure grip?

You'll forget all about these bumps in the road once you take it out cruisin' :toothy10:. Will you shorten the B-Body housing and is it a sure grip?

Waiting for memory loss ! Rear end is open and not sure about keeping, depends on cost and ease of transferring 10" drums and back spacing on rims after redrilling and studs for SBP. Maybe somebody with an A 8.25 will want to trade...?... I didn't pay eBay price but the PO knew what he had.

No pics but FINALLY got the correct tail shaft seal for the tranny and per shop hopefully will have the Dart back in MY garage this week-end for reinstall of all the resto parts and..........

CRANK ! I'm only slightly excited not being one given to over emotion about how long it's taken and the limb ripping, throat slashing, heart eating.......( valium induction ) .....so I'm just patiently waiting.

Very cool. If you need a hand getting anything together I'd be happy to help. Unfortunately, I won't be around this weekend...

Four weeks back I went to work thinking I would have the Humble Bee in my garage when I got back yesterday to install all the freshly restored/painted parts and crank that baby up. The engine is finished and waiting for the 904 which is waiting for the correct tailshaft seal which should have ( by my thinking ) been ordered and ready long before now. The shop has a very good rep' around town and was rec' to me by another member and until now ( jury still out ) the rep' is well founded. Four weeks and two days ago I told the head wrench the engine would be finished in a few days and he said," I guess I better get going on the transmission ". I understand the shop's position about this being summer and many AC problems but also feel with all the advance notice they have had re: Humble Bee, things could have been handled and necessary parts ordered and ready to go much better.

Whine/rant over.....for today....I have tailshafts seals coming from the far corners of the country to get IT DONE !

Hey, am I wrong here ?

No, you're not wrong.

Hi ! I saw that you had white/gold interior. I'm collecting info when they started with this odd combo. I have a hardtop myself with the gold/white interior. When is your car assembled? Thanks in advance

patience is a virtue grasshoppah, it really is looking good. no you are not wrong. annd the VC's look spectacular! rock on dude!!!!!

Thanks all for the compliments. Coming from the members here it means quite a lot to me.

65Dartcharger : I have the fender tag data somewhere and was just at the shop ( of course only to get pics ) and the pic I got of the tag is blurry. If memery serves, it was built in Sept' 65 which should make it one of the last of that model year off the line. I remember that time and always being exited to see the new models in October.

Before & after pics of the engine bay. I failed to mention to also paint the crossmember, etc. but it ain't going back now !

jsw_img_1637.jpg

jsw_img_1673.jpg

SWEET! I love those before and after pics ... it really shows off the work. What's the name of your color Roger, is it Lemon Twist?

SWEET! I love those before and after pics ... it really shows off the work. What's the name of your color Roger, is it Lemon Twist?

Good ? Leanna. My bodyman did a spectro to match paint and found three shades ( painted by PO ). From what I told him to paint I guess you could call it " Middle Yellow".

Dual master is part of the re-install and disks are in the future but not sure how far.
That's a good thing.
Something I was taught a long time ago. Before it goes it has to be able to stop. My shop teacher taught us brakes first.
If you add more power you better make sure you can stop it.
What's on the front, 9" drums?
The disk brake swap would be a nice thing to do before you get it going.
That's my 2 cents.
Nice looking car you have there. and you are doing a nice job re doing it. :thumrigh:

That's a good thing.
Something I was taught a long time ago. Before it goes it has to be able to stop. My shop teacher taught us brakes first.
If you add more power you better make sure you can stop it.
What's on the front, 9" drums?
The disk brake swap would be a nice thing to do before you get it going.
That's my 2 cents.
Nice looking car you have there. and you are doing a nice job re doing it. :thumrigh:

Yep, I'm big on stopping. It has 10" all around. At some point in it's past swaps were done; studs are all RH thread; caused me a few problems with parts early on in my ownership. I ordered by yr,make, model and got OEM replacements which didn't fit. And thanks, I'm trying.

I'm not really the "stressed out" madman I may have appeared to some. Just that there are alternative methods to getting something accomplished. And that's all I have to say about that.

Pics say it all and excuse me; I have some work to do.

jsw_img_1628.jpg

jsw_img_1698.jpg

jsw_img_1699.jpg

jsw_img_1701.jpg

Looking Good.
I see the dual master is in.
I'm telling ya, it ain't no fun when one side of the single master cylinder goes bad, or you blow a brake line.

I'm not really the "stressed out" madman I may have appeared to some. Just that there are alternative methods to getting something accomplished. And that's all I have to say about that.

Pics say it all and excuse me; I have some work to do.

Interesting, Roger. I'm on your side. Just couldn't phrase it right in your other thread. Sorry for not going back and trying to rephrase it in my usual manner.

Must be nice to have it back.

Interesting, Roger. I'm on your side. Just couldn't phrase it right in your other thread. Sorry for not going back and trying to rephrase it in my usual manner.

Must be nice to have it back.

Heck Robert, wasn't even thinking about your post. I'm not offended by any responses. It was....................That's all I have to say about that.

It's great having it back although I didn't get anything done today. Had to come inside to babysit the dog when the thunderstorms started. Cuddle a Pit Bull and say. "There, there, everything's going to be OK".

-
Back