The Media has no integrity.

-

momoparman

MOISMYHOME
Reaction score
I grew up with this guy. He was my best friend for a while till our parents decided it was best we didn't hang out together. Go figure we were both ADHD. So he is an amazing man who was troubled but always kept it together. The local media decides to mention that alcohol is suspected in the crash before any tests and when the tox proves he's sober today....no retraction, no justification and no saving the family name. Media has said nothing since it came out.

This is our new world..judge and jury executing you before you wake for your day in court.

I have never been more ashamed of what this country has become till now.

No smileys.....I'm pissed.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Driver-Killed-In-Crash-275048381.html

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Family-Mourns-Loss-of-Crash-Victim-275174371.html

They assumed cause he had priors that he was a drunk.....been sober for 15 years.

It could be you or your loved one.

Rant off.

There is no integrity in journalism anymore. What can you expect when everything they do is sensationalism and geared toward gaining viewership and website clicks? Sorry to hear it struck close to home with you.

"Police say speed and alcohol are being investigated as factors"

You might just be blaming the wrong people

True news reporting is a thing of the past. It's hard to find any story out there that is the reporting of FACTS without the writer editorializing. There used to be a separation between the news reports and the editorial columns in a paper. Now they're one and the same.

I never worked in that industry but I remember when I studied journalism in high school. We were instructed in the difference between the two. I would have flunked the course if I had turned in work like you see today.

It is part of the "campaign" against alcohol. They successfully made cigarette smoking a social Faux pas, and they will try and make alcohol the same. Prohibition didn't work because it was the government trying to "force" it on people. But if they can make drinking unfashionable socially like they did tobacco use, it may just work. People don't want to be perceived as "weak" or "freaks" and want to be accepted. It is to the point that if you smoke you are not socially accepted. ( Being forced to stand out in the freezing January cold at the local bar to grab a smoke for instance) The people walking in wonder "what is wrong with those people they are nuts standing in this bitter cold" I admit alcohol isn't for everybody and that is part of the problem. Moderation is key. So my point is, the media is trying to impose an image of alcohol and people who use alcohol. More power to your friend for being 15 years sober, it looks like alcohol didn't get the best of him as it does a lot of other people. The trick is to wise up before it is too late and learn how to use it in moderation. I have nothing against tying one on every once in a while however. Just don't drink and drive! Peace out!

The sad thing is that the First Amendment is being abused. In doing so it's causing a division in America that's been unequaled since the Civil War. Then the jerks abusing the First Amendment have us laying the finger on the abuse of the Second Amendment when people finally snap. And we eat it. We gobble that down and ask for more. If there was as many people speaking out against the flagrant abuse of the First Amendment as there is speaking out against the abuse of the Second Amendment someone might take note and fix something.

Reminds me of the Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry"

"Police say speed and alcohol are being investigated as factors"

You might just be blaming the wrong people

As I said the tox report that came out yesterday indicated that he was not drinking nor on drugs. He made a mistake but he wasn't wasted when it happened and the media did not retract the statement. Needless to say the family is pissed and probably going to sue someone. Media reported hearsay not facts.

Although I must agree with you about the news, ( I assume they haven't changed much since I quit reading the stuff in the "80's), this sounds like a cop problem. And although we have innocent until proven guilty which is great, it is still only for courtrooms. On the street there is nothing that says I have to presume innocence or guilt. That is entirely up to me. For instance, do you really think I would allow my daughter to hang with O.J. no matter what the verdict?

Media reported hearsay not facts.

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't

Look, I'm the last person who goes around defending the news. But if you are basing this on what "they say the police said," and if the police really did say that, then this is not "hearsay." When a cop or PD spokesman makes a statement to anyone public, a reporter, anyone, this becomes what amounts to an official police statement. so if the "noose" is simply reporting what an investigator said, this becomes a statement by an official, and is not supposed to be idle gossip.

And I have to tell you this. You need to look very carefully at what WAS said. MANY accidents happen with no immediate, apparent cause. If something happened, my car got clipped, ran into my property, or injured me, I would be distressed if the cops DID NOT "investigate" drug and alcohol use.

Drug and alcohol testing of a driver has become pretty routine in accidents. PD does not seem to need any form of search warrant to obtain a blood test

Cops and media and government....all have one thing in common.

Lies and abuse of power.

OK. I'm getting off this rant....I'm pissed off more than ever again.:wack:

It is part of the "campaign" against alcohol. They successfully made cigarette smoking a social Faux pas, and they will try and make alcohol the same. Prohibition didn't work because it was the government trying to "force" it on people. But if they can make drinking unfashionable socially like they did tobacco use, it may just work. People don't want to be perceived as "weak" or "freaks" and want to be accepted. It is to the point that if you smoke you are not socially accepted. ( Being forced to stand out in the freezing January cold at the local bar to grab a smoke for instance) The people walking in wonder "what is wrong with those people they are nuts standing in this bitter cold" I admit alcohol isn't for everybody and that is part of the problem. Moderation is key. So my point is, the media is trying to impose an image of alcohol and people who use alcohol. More power to your friend for being 15 years sober, it looks like alcohol didn't get the best of him as it does a lot of other people. The trick is to wise up before it is too late and learn how to use it in moderation. I have nothing against tying one on every once in a while however. Just don't drink and drive! Peace out!

Now that's how you articulate a point.....eloquently stated !!!

MEDIA HAS NO INTEGRITY ?

Tell me something I don't already know and you can include the Three branches of the Government.
I'm 54 and as another member stated I quit watching it in the 80's. I remember as a child watching with my parents in the 60's while my brother was away in the Nam and a reporter would come on and state I'm Joe Blow and I'm here in ___________ fill in the blank, giving away troop positions and company strengths all in the name of the public's right to know. F___K the media, attorney's and big brother just let me be and quit screwing me under the auspice of making my life better. Oh and you can throw in the greedy medical industry.

Damn, I just had to open this thread after avoiding it several times and I knew better.

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't

Look, I'm the last person who goes around defending the news. But if you are basing this on what "they say the police said," and if the police really did say that, then this is not "hearsay."

When a cop or PD spokesman makes a statement to anyone public, a reporter, anyone, this becomes what amounts to an official police statement.

so if the "noose" is simply reporting what an investigator said, this becomes a statement by an official, and is not supposed to be idle gossip.

And I have to tell you this. You need to look very carefully at what WAS said. MANY accidents happen with no immediate, apparrent cause. If something happened, my car got clipped, ran into my property, or injured me, I would be distressed if the cops DID NOT "investigate" drug and alcohol use.

I don't give a rats *** what you say. He was my friend and he's dead and the cops and media made up a story. They had no proof that he was drinking. They assumed he was because he crossed the line so they blabbed it to the reporters. The reporters ran with the story without any proof other than a cops word. THE TOX REPORT WHICH CAME OUT THE DAY AFTER AND SHOWED NO DRUGS OR ALCHOHOL!

Why don't you back out of this conversation since your not offering any positive commentary. I'm not in the best mood today and your rubbing me the wrong way.

Dont watch the "news"...
Its for sheeple.

any one else notice "protect and serve" has been removed from the door of your local officer friendly?

Wonder why? "Control and dominate" just dont look as good?

Sorry for your loss.

getting to the point where it would be easier to blow the whole thing up and start fresh...

I worked in TV for over 20 years before coming to the school where I edit. Whoever pays for the airtime will say what they want... The stations care about airtime being sold FIRST and "Facts" are not important...

15 years sober is amazing... RIP

There is no accusation of alcohol, just that it was being investigated as a potential factor.

That seems to be a reasonable approach based on time of the accident.

Sorry to read of your friends passing.

Where is the article or newscast that said alcohol is suspected? All I read in the articles posted in the OP was that alcohol was being investigated. Big deal... It should be investigated in all accidents. Not sure what the problem is here.

Either way, sounds like a horrible accident. Sorry to the guys friends and family.

If you don't read the papers you're "uninformed"!
If you read the papers, you're "misinformed"!
Mark Twain

sorry to hear of your friends passing. for the news to add further comments to clear his name? that would not be "news" for the media. sad......
I too have NO trust in the news or faith in your government. maybe i'm paranoid!??
just to say this on the subject of drinking and driving. I was hit head on by a drunk 40 years ago, it killed him, lucky it only destroyed a knee for me. but it healed.. sorta.... I only ask, drink in moderation and don't ever drive after too many. maybe leave of the dope and the texting too!!!?????
I say, get high on life and old mopars!!???

I realize that there are members here that have commented that they believe there is nothing wrong with the media reporting that 'alcohol was being investigated'. I personally disagree. You should ask yourself just what does it take to besmirch someone's character. I'm not saying that police do not have a right to investigate whether or not alcohol was a factor. They should. But when a news agency reports that the use of alcohol is being investigated it implies that there is a reason to do so that is not common to all accidents. It draws suspicion from a public that would not otherwise have reason to suspect it. It is akin to an allegation.

Consider a scenario where a child falls and bruises his or her knee. If the news media was to report that child abuse on the part of the parents was being considered, how many friends and neighbors would view (possibly permanently) those parents negatively. How many would ostracize them? Is the quality of their character not damaged? Would you - as a neighbor continue to allow your children to go over to that household? I'm not opposed to the investigation but I feel the reporting is at the very least irresponsible. No retraction? No further reporting that clarifies that alcohol was NOT a factor? I hope that none of you are put in a position similar to that.

This is so true. Accuse a man of rape and when found to not be true there will always be those that look at this same person forever differently. Thou I agree it is the Police responsibility to suspect and investigate all causes it is wrong to throw out cheap headline grabbing comments. Now the memory of this man will forever be tarnished for the sake of creating shock news by the media. Those important to him will know and believe the truth.

I realize that there are members here that have commented that they believe there is nothing wrong with the media reporting that 'alcohol was being investigated'. I personally disagree. You should ask yourself just what does it take to besmirch someone's character. I'm not saying that police do not have a right to investigate whether or not alcohol was a factor. They should. But when a news agency reports that the use of alcohol is being investigated it implies that there is a reason to do so that is not common to all accidents. It draws suspicion from a public that would not otherwise have reason to suspect it. It is akin to an allegation.

Consider a scenario where a child falls and bruises his or her knee. If the news media was to report that child abuse on the part of the parents was being considered, how many friends and neighbors would view (possibly permanently) those parents negatively. How many would ostracize them? Is the quality of their character not damaged? Would you - as a neighbor continue to allow your children to go over to that household? I'm not opposed to the investigation but I feel the reporting is at the very least irresponsible. No retraction? No further reporting that clarifies that alcohol was NOT a factor? I hope that none of you are put in a position similar to that.

This is so true. Accuse a man of rape and when found to not be true there will always be those that look at this same person forever differently. Thou I agree it is the Police responsibility to suspect and investigate all causes it is wrong to throw out cheap headline grabbing comments. Now the memory of this man will forever be tarnished for the sake of creating shock news by the media. Those important to him will know and believe the truth.

Then the police should shut their traps about anything to do with possible causes prior to final determination of the accident. Problem is the media will ask questions, police answer them and the media reports what was relayed from the PD.

I don't agree with the stuff that happens a lot with people being charged with crimes, then get acquitted and there is barely a word.

-
Back