The Metric System

-
Airplane ditches and crashes have been blamed on choosing the wrong conversion factors by fuel truck operators. The planes just ran out of fuel. I doubt I will ever get on another plane.
I'm comfortable in either system but riddle me this; If you bore a 360 out to wait-for it....... 4.04 inches;you get a 367.14 cuber. What's that in metric? 6.0162525 liters. And a stock 5.9 Magnum is 5.897709. What the heck; try telling your friends you have a 6.02 .. What's that? NOT!, Yur gonna call it a 367......
Just like I call my bored out 360, a 367.(It's actually a 368, but I pulled a Chebby on it. For a few years, they called their 402s ,396s.) IMO, I thought 367 had a better ring to it; and besides, it's actually a 6 liter now; so don't call it no steenkink 5.9; and don't even compare it to a 5.57, everybody knows those were the bomb. No Sir, it's a legitimate 6l,lol.

LMFAO!!!!........and this went/ goes on in the "metric industry" too!! When I was young I had a 350 Honda. Don't remember the actual displacement, but it was FAR from 350!!

LMFAO!!!!........and this went/ goes on in the "metric industry" too!! When I was young I had a 350 Honda. Don't remember the actual displacement, but it was FAR from 350!!
IIRC those 350s were 323s or something similar,lol.
I had a couple of those and still have, in boxes and bags,a nearly complete SL350 circa 1971, that I've had since about 1973; and am still hoping to reassemble some day,lol. 45 years in storage..........

Talking about a mixture of standard and metric... how about an Italian Harley-Davidson?
I just finished a full nut and bolt restoration of this '69 Aermacchi Harley Davidson Sprint 350SS. There was a real mix of both kinds of fasteners on this bike!
20171129_202051.jpg

Seems like I remember some engine bolts in GM cars back in the 80’s that had inch threads and metric heads. GM didn’t want to pay to change the engine parts, but wanted to convert to metric assembly lines.

Seems like I remember some engine bolts in GM cars back in the 80’s that had inch threads and metric heads. GM didn’t want to pay to change the engine parts, but wanted to convert to metric assembly lines.
That explains my 25/32 wrench.

Carpenter here. Will probably use the American system for the rest of my days. I get the concept of metric, but don’t use it everyday so can’t communicate fluently with it.

I recall when i was working for a house builder,metric blueprints designed for metric lumber.
Someone got their *** kicked for that one.
Builder tried, but ended up converting and building better than minimum standard.
Never touched a meteric blueprint again.

I recall doing a timing chain in a crown vic with a 5.0.
Can you say every tool in the box?
Studs with sae on one end,metric on the other.
2003 ram.5.9 gas. Sae hardware. I was suprised at that when i did timing chain.

domestic cars.8,10,13,15,16,18.
Asian 8,10,12,14 for majority of fasteners.

I recall the Army Corps of Engineers trying out metric building blueprints. Fail! 0.5 meters on center studs? Too bad they couldn’t buy metric sheetrock. They only got 2 bids on a $2M project. They had to do a redesign back to SAE.

Why not mix it all up...and toss some aspect ratios in for good measure

Whoever came up with that idea ?

I’m in my 50’s and I used to whine about it until I got my amateur radio license in 2000 and got into building antennas and at the higher frequencies where even a couple millimeters is critical I found using metrics is more accurate due to having approx 25 units (25.4 to be exact) per inch. Now I find myself using it anytime I’m making/modifying a part for a car, again because I can be more precise

I made a metric clock once. Numbers went 1 to 10, but it used a normal 12 hour mechanism. Hung it in my office. Many people looked at it and couldn’t figure out why it just didn’t seem right. Others got it right away and laughed.

I then made a metric calendar. Pretty funny!

AREOSMITH Big Ten Inch Record:
Got me the strangest woman
Believe me this trick's no cinch
But I really get her going
When I whip out my big "25.4 centimeter".......Maybe the metric system is the way to go....lol.

aerosmith.png

AREOSMITH Big Ten Inch Record:
Got me the strangest woman
Believe me this trick's no cinch
But I really get her going
When I whip out my big "25.4 centimeter".......Maybe the metric system is the way to go....lol.

View attachment 1715264730

remember a show called the young ones?

"i'd tell you, but you'd think i was talking in centimeters"

5/16&8, 5/8&16. They do come in handy. If I remember correct my new rear wheel cyl for the 69 had metric threads.

Went to my first performance rally in North Bay, ON, Canada in '92.... we were still using a mechanical ODO for the co-driver in those days. No way we would have the 1.6 difference in calibration gear ratios to make the mechanical ODO read properly.

So, imagine getting there, being handed the routebook, and having to furiously convert everything from kM to miles less than an hour from the start!

-
Back