The new norm, flat / no shine colors.......

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Where do the the FABO regulars lie? I After a few hours of bodywork,I prefer gloss,I have nothing to hide.Your take?

Todays flat, often textured finishes, are gaining popularity for several reasons.
They are less expensive, water based, easily applied, and easily removed for color change or other reason.
It's not a look I could learn to love.

I can appreciate someones creativity, say on a rat rod or maybe an intended low budget build, using semi or flat finishes. I still prefer gloss, though.

I like the gloss look as well. But when it came time for my car i went with a 2 tone half flat half gloss finish and i couldn't be happier with it.

I think flats are a cool look, but probably somewhat of a faddish one that will probably pass, like a lot of paint schemes have over the years. My cars will always be gloss I think. But even more than the flat finishes, I prefer this look, the "fresh patina" look:

deerslayer_patina.JPG

It's my opinion that old cars took advantage of the varying gloss, with vinyl tops.

I typically wouldn't want the flat look on my car but then again I liked flat black hoods of performance cars of the early 70.
The high-tech stealth or carbon fiber look will probably be on some expensive super car soon.

I like Gloss paint, however as stated certain things look good in flat. Rat rods, hoods on muscle cars, etc..

I like shine but for now this is what I have. Teens have asked me what kind of paint it is. They thought I did it on purpose. LOL

Attachments

• dart.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 676
  • Dart2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 666
I have my scamp in flat black now, but I still have some work to do before it get's the shiny stuff, but I wanted to drive it instead of it sitting in primer and guide coat over the winter.

I like the shine myself.. The flat has its place, but I can see down the road people redoing there cars to gloss again!

Its a fad, and reminds me of when all the Chrome/Shiny rims where in. Then all the Black rims where the thing to have. Who knows next we might all be putting on wood wheels, because its the thing..

There seems to be to many of the flat paint jobs around this area and I dont even look at them anymore at car shows. I go for the shiny ones next to them. Just my choice I guess

Where do the the FABO regulars lie? I After a few hours of bodywork,I prefer gloss,I have nothing to hide.Your take?
I have to agree with that,I will save the flat look for stripes and hood black..and yes I would rather see a little refels if none has blocked it then all flat to hide it.......Artie

Shine , all the way. My definition of "patina" is - my owner is too cheap to do this right and have come up with a word that he thinks is cool. Now I do like the semi gloss or flat stripes and hood treatments if it was something that the factory might have done(ex. looks like it belongs)

I think it depends on what the vehicle is. On my rat truck, for example. 49 Dodge Pilothouse 5 window cab on an 83 D150 short bed chassis, I am going to finish it in a matte or low gloss black. I thought about a flat, but flats do not hold up to scratches very well. My friend Charles, who as two rat rods, wants me to leave the patina as is, but I am not sure I can do that. I guess it will depend on what it looks like the closer I get.

Anyway, I think the flats and low gloss stuff lends itself better to the rat rod/hot rod crowd. I think the unspoken rule on that is 1964 and prior to be considered for those categories. I tend to agree because IMO newer vehicles don't look right flat.

depends on the vehicle. some look good others look like crap. i'm tired of the flat/semi gloss black and red rim ratrod fad, way overdone these days. there are some colors out there done in flat or semi gloss that look nice. but that depends on the car..

My friend Charles, who as two rat rods, wants me to leave the patina as is, but I am not sure I can do that.

i like the pantina (natural pantina) over the all black. but would only be able to stand it for a short period of time

I like a satin more than a flat. Still a little bit of sheen, but not total gloss. Seems the older I've gotten (I know, 26 isn't exactly old) the more I prefer things a little more muted. I used to be all about chrome, but lately have started liking a little more variety. There's a really nice satin kind of chrome trim on the gen 3 and 4 Viper interior that I really like (shifter bezel, door handles and pulls). A mile deep paint job on a car will still have me staring though. The work in those cars to make them perfect is awe inspiring.

Not a fan of flat as a permanent finish , and I'll be glad when the rat rod faze has run it's course.

Almost as bad as the graphics faze of the 80's

I prefer gloss but I've seen some nice satin jobs and I would think they have their own complications. With gloss you can color sand out any OP and dust then buff back. I don't think polishing flat/satin works out, would end up shiny wouldn't it, or at least shinier than you want it?

I like gloss better but the reason I went with flat was it is cheaper and easier to do in the car port. Now mine is not the final paint gob but it is something to seal it for the winter.

to me it does not matter as long as the owner is happy. If everyone liked the same thing it would be a VERY boring world. JMO

-
Back