The official FABO machinist/member collaboration, busted 340 thread

-
If the hijacking doesn't stop, I am gonna be done updating this thread. Its ment to help a guy out, and be instructional, not for random members to argue.
I asked you a question and it got deleted. :rolleyes:
Was wondering which direction the build is going?

Not a lot of progress, but that horribly filthy block is now clean!

20220915_172447.jpg

20220915_113931.jpg

Well, after cleaning the block, we decided to run a hone through the bores real quick to see if it will clean up with a additional .010...(at .030 over currently) . I am not sure you can see in the close up picture, but all the bores are heavily pitted, I dont have much confidence in ending up at .040 over with a nice bore. Looks like perhaps .060 to clean up. Very obviously a rusted up old .030 over block just honed when last "rebuilt"

20220919_145723.jpg

Would Sleeves would do the trick and keep it a standard bore?

I will take some measurements of the journals tonight. Engine looked untouched but you know how that goes

The donor crank should grind ok if it isnt .020 already...even then...but, of course whos standard/expectation are we going by 'so to speak'. A cast crank would be fine. Stock 70's truck or scat. Only adds to the balancing part if using a 318 base crank.
Good going on helping this guy.

I have a crank out of a 72 truck Std Std I think including the balancer I’d be willing to donate

-
Back