The POS 408 progress pics....

-
Looking good!Gonna have to start a new site...Four O eights only.com!LOLGood luck with the build.

hehe that wouldnt be such a bad idea with so many interesting combos popping up here and there these days. Some of them defy logic.

Today I got my oilpan cleaned, blasted, primed and painted. Looks like new.
Also got the oil pump and pickup mounted, along with the filter adapter which brings a question...

I have the mopar gasket set for the filter adapter. There is the large outer seal that seals the plate to the block, then there is a small thin center gasket and a thicker cork one.

I am using the later 6 hole adapter plate for the magnum.

Do I even need the smaller gaskets? Seems like I wouldnt need them. just the large one.
Anyone have an answer for that? I really dont want no damned cork gaskets anywhere near my motor anyway, and I am not using the 90 degree adapter which I THINK that is for...can someone help there?

Yeah haha I dont know what I was thinking...all these people with those doctored up time slips sure fooled the **** out of me.:cheers:

Yep. Those RHS heads do a GREAT job doctoring up our timeslips! :toothy7:

GREAT BUILD! Now, get it in the truck...

Yep, just getting it buttoned up and I need a few more doodads to make it run in the formerly EFI truck. Waiting on a balancer, pulleys etc.

I also still need to get a fuel cell and electric pump. so I can get rid of the factory tank and efi pump...it's in the way of me running some real dual exhausts.

We'll hopefully hear it run this fall, but I doubt I'll be driving it. Maybe though!

Today I got my oilpan cleaned, blasted, primed and painted. Looks like new.
Also got the oil pump and pickup mounted, along with the filter adapter which brings a question...

I have the mopar gasket set for the filter adapter. There is the large outer seal that seals the plate to the block, then there is a small thin center gasket and a thicker cork one.

I am using the later 6 hole adapter plate for the magnum.

Do I even need the smaller gaskets? Seems like I wouldnt need them. just the large one.
Anyone have an answer for that? I really dont want no damned cork gaskets anywhere near my motor anyway, and I am not using the 90 degree adapter which I THINK that is for...can someone help there?

If I remember right you will use the thin one under the center fitting. You'll figure it out when you assemble it.

If I remember right you will use the thin one under the center fitting. You'll figure it out when you assemble it.

Nope. I ended up only needing the larger gasket for the plate.
found out the other two smaller gaskets are for the 90 degree adapter.

I primed the engine today with oil and she holds just fine.
The bolt itself passes oil between the block and the filter. No need for the smaller gaskets, just the outer one.

I have the later model magnum 6 hole adapter plate. for giggles I drilled 6 smaller holes in it too since I have modded all the oil passages throughout to sanborn/guitar jones spec.

I may in the near future go with a remote filter to make maintenance easier, but for now I slapped a wix filter on it and she's good to go.

Just a few more things and I can start putting it in the truck.

Yep. Those RHS heads do a GREAT job doctoring up our timeslips! :toothy7:

GREAT BUILD! Now, get it in the truck...

Which reminds me....A special thanks goes to Brian H at IMM for these excellent heads. I think they really are gonna be what makes the engine.
It's not like it's some all out race engine, but I am sure it's gonna be surprising.

The heads are the difference between a "so so" stroker, and a badass one. We'll see!

So I primed it up with some SAE 30 valvoline conventional oil.
I had poured a little bit of STP in the pump so it would pull nicely.
When I spun the drill it shot up instantly, and after bumping it a few times I had oil coming up through the pushrods...

I had some reservations about my main bolts but those questions have been answered and I was fine all along.

I'm calling it all good.:cheers:

With a few more doodads and my HEI distributor put in, it will be ready to install. DAMN I cant wait to hear this thing!!!!=P~

Here are a couple more pics I took. It's got an oilpan on it and a timing cover. Waiting on some cover bolts...my balancer will be here tomorrow too, so we're moving along....And yes, I only needed the ONE large gasket for the oil filter adapter...I nailed it the first time. I pressurized the crap out of it and no leaks.

Man she looks nice...dig the stainless ARP intake bolts. lol i had to.

areal4082.jpg

Other side...
Soon, the POS Dakota will live again. There were doubters, but they were wrong. Now they better look out!!!!:thumrigh:
boo.jpg

Looks great! Did you shoot a clear on the valve covers?

No, but I am either getting a clear powdercoat job, a ceramic, or the black treatment with a MOPAR engraved on them. I'll have to decide. I have to get my headers done too, so I will be taking some stuff over to QC coatings who are local to me.
They do awesome ceramic coating and the prices are CHEAP!
It's nice now because while I am making preparations in the truck (fuel system, gauges and stuff) I am able to look at the engine and give a lot of thought as to what would look best.

I definitely want the march serpentine system...god is that some sexy gear! I dont know if you guys know of GregZ of Magnum performance...but he is right down the road from march and I'm gonna have him work something for me. I might even get the SMR timing cover that mopardude has and run the electric pump....that one is a maybe though. I like the cover, but I dont know if the pump is reliable enough to daily drive....

looks terrific man!!!!

Thanks, I appreciate it.
You know, you stand back and look at things and you always find something that you can improve...I'm in that phase now. lol

I got my PRW Balancer today.
If it's Mad Dart proof, it ought to live just fine for me. hehe

PRWSFIracebalancer.jpg

Doesnt seem like a bad balancer at all for the money. It's better than any stocker and a lot better looking too, so that's good enough for me. I just feel bad about spending 400 bucks on a balancer. I wanted to try a romac, but I think that wouldnt work I was told for some reason, the BHJ I liked was well OVER 400 bucks and I just got over it and bought this. It'll do the trick, has nice readable timing marks and for the most part I'm not going to see it. If it does what it's supposed to do, I'm happy.

It will contrast nice with the engine and the purdy billet pullies that are bolting to it. More to come on those....

Time to bump this...the POS 408 is nearing completion.

It's been a pain in the *** since NOTHING and I mean NOTHING has fit right from day one. It's taken some serious patience to not go throw rocks at kids.

Anyway, here's how she sits at the moment. I have some more bolts to install, and I need a few more things...but I am extremely pleased with it so far. Just trying a lot of new things...

POS408-2.jpg

POS408-1.jpg

Another...

Damn blue felpro cover and pump gaskets...argh.

Yeah, and what do you think of the pullies?
I used blackened allen cap screws to attach them. I like it.

POS408-4.jpg

*So i need to space out the crank pulley a bit. Who has spacers?

*I need a billet bracket for my alternator that will work with the serpentine bolt on pulley, while replacing the serp tensioner and with a
turnbuckle to tighten the belt...anyone? high mount? Low mount? Want it to clear the valve cover too. hehe I'm not asking for much!:-D

Suggestions?

The PRW didnt work. Screw that thing! lol That's a pro products on the engine. If scat sells them for their cranks, they must be ok. A lot of people seem to be happy with them. I am happy with it. It went on nice and smooth and the crank gear is nicely pressed to the crank shoulder. No issues there. I just need a pulley spacer to bring the crank pulley out a bit.

Also, I am going to MAKE this bracket work one way or another....
mch-40051_w.jpg

I think it would work. I can eliminate the ugly serpentine tensioner and magnum accessory bracket. That would make it all worth it.

See the milodon dipstick? I made it work. I installed the rear sump magnum dipstick into the stainless handle of the milodon. Now it works for a magnum! ha! KUSTOM!!!!

All those old style alternators are apparently **** huh?
Nothing puts out enough amps.

I need at least 136 amp alt.
Another thing that I noticed that pisses me off...none of the old style alts have a bolt on pulley do they?

Looks like I am limited to the late model doo doo, and that I will be making a custom bracket since magnum engines get no love from anyone. DAMN!!! This is frustrating!
Nothing wants to work!!!!

Man I hear ya about NOTHING fitting! On my stroker motor, EVERYTHING had to be machined to fit! The manifold, the heads, the special valve covers, the billet front cover, All that milling adds up quick!!!

When building my 408 with an ATI dampner,I had the same problem with the crank pully.I got advise from a member and a part # for a universal crank pully from Mancini,s.I can,t seem to find the bill(must be in the garage)anyway it bolted right up.Hope this helps.

Man I hear ya about NOTHING fitting! On my stroker motor, EVERYTHING had to be machined to fit! The manifold, the heads, the special valve covers, the billet front cover, All that milling adds up quick!!!

Exactly. Nothing on this thing fit out of the box. Everything had to be corrected, modded, converted, inverted, twisted, ground and thrown into the wall at least once to fit. ha!

When building my 408 with an ATI dampner,I had the same problem with the crank pully.I got advise from a member and a part # for a universal crank pully from Mancini,s.I can,t seem to find the bill(must be in the garage)anyway it bolted right up.Hope this helps.

I'm using 7 rib pulleys. They have one for that? hehe
I saw they have a couple types of spacer. One is a nice billet spacer that is I think .300ish thick. I can take a measurement and have my machine shop take it down to where it needs to be unless it works as is.

I am way more concerned about the alternator fitment and whether what i make fit can make enough amps. I sense that my alt might hit the valve cover with the magnum bracket and late model alt, but if I went with the old style alt there is no 7 rib pulley, the pulley doesnt bolt on like the pulley I have for it, and max the old style alts make is what? 100 amp?

I am planning on BULLETPROOF cooling and that will require a heavy duty e-fan. No flex or clutch fan is going on this. I hate them. they're always in the way.

Being as discerning as I have been about this thing has really made life hard. I even had to convert the milodon LA dipstick to a magnum dipstick because I was adamant about using it. LOL Look at this ****...

milodondipstick1.jpg

milodondipstick2.jpg

milodondipstick3.jpg

milodondipstick3-1.jpg

milodondipstick4.jpg

I had to pull out the original thick wire stick which was pressed in. It was a pain in the ***! Then I had to drill a perfectly straight hole up the middle of the handle, turn part of the original magnum dipstick handle down until it was a press fit bushing to fit into the handle, then precisely align all the holes, very carefully drill through the handle and pin it with a new longer tension pin. It's perfect and solid. Bit how many people give enough of a ****, to do something like this for a dipstick?:-D

I was so scared of ruining it, but I was either gonna come out smelling like a rose, or ruin an expensive DIPSTICK.

This is the entire story of this engine.

stock sfi dampeners work fine and fit fine, I know there not as pretty though...

The one I got only cost me something like 76 bucks.
A friend puts them on all kinds of engines and they seem to do great.
They are fine to 6500 rpm. And scat sells these particular ones with their cranks too.

As for the length of the hub, what can I say? Maybe it's the crank gear thickness? I dunno. It's a geardrive. but at this point me and balancers are no longer talking. It's on and it's staying. I dont have any more room in my life for balancers. Now I am onto alternators and brackets.:-D

I'm just glad this one actually fits down all the way and presses the gear against the step. I can shim a pulley. I won't cry. I'm over everything not fitting. lol

but you are right. A simple balancer is all you really need for the street.
Different story on the track all the time up above 6000-6500.
I can't believe some of the stuff my factory magnum balancer lived through.

Slacker, that thing still isn't together. :-D

Geez, tell me I'm not going to have this Ede headed pile o'Crap together before you are...

Dartengine035.jpg

Yes the ugly balancer and water pump were put on to paint it and install the timing cover gasket.

Wish I had a set of RHS heads from Brian on it instead.

Your progress looks good.

-
Back