The Super 6 Six conversion Dart 66 identify?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
Ok so I expect this process to take several weeks and lots of mess ups. Please bear with me as this is total NewBee stuff for father and son team that are learning as we go. (yes I have bought all 3 books)

66 ddddart 270 with slnt 6. auto. Just picked up these items to convert my 1bbl holley to a 2bbl Carter system. I have the links at Dans site to the articles. So far none match my situation.

Currently have the 1920, rod-throttle. I have bought a cable-type gas pedal and the following items: 2bbl intake/exhuast, choke manifold, air cleaner, linkages and the carter 2543 2BBL carb.

I can not tell if I have all the parts I need, could you take a look at these items and help me ID them? I actyually think the guy gave me 2 transmission linkages for some reason, though not entirely complete. Came from a dodge van I believe.
Oh and the exhaust output is measuring 2in ID. Is that right? My current exhaust pipes are 1.75.

Attachments

• super6 - 1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 403
  • super6 - 2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 394
  • super6 - 3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 372
  • super6 - 4.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 367
  • super6 - 5.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 355
  • super6 - 6.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 355
  • super6 - 7.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 367
  • super6 choke - 1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 351
everything looks good except the bracket that mounts under the exhaust manifold that connects to the kick down and holds the gas pedal cable you need the one that looks like this besides that everything looks great i have the correct part if you need it
twobarrel-linkage.jpg

second look you might have the correct piece just need to swap with that C shape piece

Here is a reference photo I took of the Super Six linkage on my unmolested 79 Volare Wagon. I am not certain you have all the pieces in the photo.

SuperSixLinkage_zpstbvmdtb4.jpg

FYI, the linkage is different between the one and two barrel carbs because the one barrel mounts 'sideways' (throttle shaft is front to back) when compared to the two barrel (throttle shaft is left to right, the same orientation as the V8s).

Looks like I am missing all the springs. no biggie. However it also looks like I am missing the piece that the choke spring hooks onto . Is this a piece that is only on slant 6 engines? Or did they also use it on 318's? If I could get a measurement I probably could make a piece. Also on the kickdown link, is it going to bypass the current assembly? so I remove the current setup? Since I am also switching over to Cable-type gas pedal.

Looks like I am missing all the springs. no biggie. However it also looks like I am missing the piece that the choke spring hooks onto . Is this a piece that is only on slant 6 engines? Or did they also use it on 318's? If I could get a measurement I probably could make a piece. Also on the kickdown link, is it going to bypass the current assembly? so I remove the current setup? Since I am also switching over to Cable-type gas pedal.

yes but i would just try to find an early a body v8 gas pedal it works alot better that the later set up because it will bend your firewall when you floor it the early a body gas pedal which was on 1964-66 v8 or early slant six with ac will be more solid and look just like your stock pedal the dimples are already set for the set up you just need to drill the whole thru to mount but its your car your call i have a 64 dart did the super six using the later gas pedals didnt work that great. firewall would bend unless you make a custom plate to support it

eek, I already bought a gas pedal from a 68 barracuda. are you saying the firewall is so thin that it wont be able to handle it?

Finding the assembly from a 64-66 v8 is next to impossible. And when found, guys want like $85 for it.

was that pedal only on a bodies? was it on vans from those years?

the cable pedals were just a "teeter-totter" that pulled a cable when you mashed it. Bending the firewall? I cant visualize it. My 65 "S" has a cable operated pedal and its pretty basic. The slant rod style was a strange setup.

Ok team, using your pics and diagrams I dove into the linkages today. I determined that the linkages I have seem to be cobbled together , so i took them apart and made one system.
I mocked it up, and it appears the throttle cable on the pedal I have is too short.
Does it all look right?
Also in this set up the little ball socket on the carb is not connected to anything.
Also I am missing all the springs and the throttle/choke bracket piece. Ideas?

Also there are 2 threaded bits on the bracket that goes beneath the exhaust manifold for this linkage. Are those supposed to be used for anything?

Super six me.

Attachments

• dualmanifold - 1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 248
Basically you have it right. Your bottom bracket is bent it should be flat all the way across this will solve your throttle cable problem. Your also missing the bracket for the carb return spring look at the pic SlantSix64 showed. The two holes on the bottom bracket are for a heat riser to the air cleaner. Check out this article. http://www.slantsix.org/articles/supersix/article.htm

good call on the bracket. I will try to bend it back, hopefully doesnt bust it.

Still trying to locate the spring return bracket. Or at least a measurement so i can try to fabricate one.

-
Back