The tear-down of Jake's 65 begins....

-
I need to figure out how to re-title this whole thread as "Jake's 65".... we are well past the tear down....lol

So the left rear window was bolted in place with 2 molly bolts. Once we got the 1/4 cut off, we saw why??? or more like wtf??? the main arm of the window regulator had been bent and twisted around and was torn almost all the way across. Once we got the regulator out, it functions like it was meant to, but was turned into a pretzel. Soooooo....When we made the run to Pittsburgh (hello Bud and Mark!), we brought home a pair of regulators that had issues but were not bent up. Before trying to build one out of two, we decided to try and straighten the bent one and ran a weld the length of the tear.....Seems to work just fine after beating it into submission and greasing all the tracks. We did notice the 64 and 65 vertical track are different. Jake's 65 has a chanel that the slide goes into, where the 64 had a set of pinch rollers.

Not much progress lately, but at least it's something.

Attachments

• regulator.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 802
  • regulator fix.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 799
I ve seen that somewhere before.....

Why yes, yes you have.... It was cool to meet ya on Saturday Scott. I just hope I don't end up with the same surprise in my right side 1/4 when I get around to that side.....

Did the initial test fit of the 65 Valiant 1/4 on Jake's B'cuda this evining.... WOW!!!! It's already starting to look like a car again and Jake only held it in place long enough to make some trim marks with a sharpie..... Hopefully time and life allow to get it trimmed up and tacked in place this coming weekend.

Doing a full 1/4 replacement seemed quite intimidating for this telephone man at the onset, but Jake believed in me and I enjoy a good challenge....lol It seems to be taking me for ever to get it to the point of making it permanent, but I only have on chance to get it right.

Attachments

• aqtr[1].JPG
    58 KB · Views: 770
wow that panel looks nice ....! Looks NOS .... ! Nice job Jake....

well, if your quarter weighs 80 pounds, then you might have a problem. I took twenty pictures of the teardown of that quarter. Its a pretty sad sight ....

Last night, after fitting the left 1/4 on and off 4 times, we tacked it in place in a few spots so it is now a part of the car..... I'll have pics up later this week when we get back out there to make it more permanent..... So far, we feel pretty good about it...lol

So this evening, we got all the external welds, door jamb and the inside of the trunk welds done.... Still need to weld the wheel house where we mated them together..... We are going to fill/smooth the seam where the 1/4 sits on the rocker... Give it a smoother look to the bottom side.

Attachments

• qtr in place 2.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 711
  • qtr in place.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 726
  • aqtr[1].JPG
    58 KB · Views: 723
  • qtr match up.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 711
Makes me wish my pappy would've wanted to do something like this with me. Nice build, can't wait to see the finished result.

I'm waiting tooooooooo.............

Life has happened yet again... Just finished a round of strep throat with the 4 yr old, Spring soccer has started for Jake, the honey-do list needed some attention, and the 16 month old princess is thiiiiissssssssss close to walking..........

They did manage to pull the rocker moulding clips off yesterday.....
How they did it is here.... http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=181450

Attachments

• pulled it.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 678
spent about an hour and a half grinding down welds, wire wheeling and da-ing some paint so I could skimcoat the welded areas.... fillingin the seam where the 1/4 meets the rocker....

Attachments

• l qtr bottom skim.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 645
  • l qtr bottom.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 655
  • l qtr top skim.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 646
  • l qtr top.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 648
the top edge is suppossed to be a recessed seam the length of the spear trim.... this 1/4 is from a valiant so the seam does not run as long - we are filling ours in partially. The bottom seam should be a seam, but we decided a while back to smooth it over as we are going to do with the rear valance where it meets the 1/4s.

So we got back to it today for a few hours... Had to make a 2"x6" patch for the lower left qtr that we had shipped here from Alabama. Ran out of wire for the welder so it is only tacked in place at this point.... BUT, we did get the right side 1/4 cut off and started trimming and prepping for the new one...... Next weekend we'll see how good of a deal we got on the right side in P'burgh..... We also had to do some clean up and tool putting awayso we could slide the whole thing towards the center of the garage. It's amazing how easy you can move a carcass sideways on a floor jack....

Attachments

• r qtr open jake standing.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 603
  • r qtr cut off.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 600
  • r qtr in his hands.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 599
  • L qtr lower patch.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 614
  • lower patch cut.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 611
In the last couple of weeks, all we've gotten done is to finish trimming the old 1/4 off the right side and today almost have the replacement 1/4 cut off the frame-work it was still attached to when we brought it home from P'burgh... It will need a lower patch, but that was expected.... The benefit to it is we really needed the entire top edge and part of the sail panel.... Nothing to really take pics of, but at least we got a little done. We are done for today. Jake is at his soccer game - Mom took him tonight and I stayed home with the little ones - not going to make them sit out in 50 degree rain for an hour and a half, so I'll do baths while she's at the game with Jake. They'll be at the next game if the weather is warm and dry..... Hopefully the initial test fit will happen next weekend...It all depends how smooth the rear door of the house goes..... We're taking out the 13 yr old slider with obliterated rollers and putting in a regular swing open door....Never did like the slider.......

Made some time tonight.... Made some progress.... Intial test fit of the right side 1/4. We need to get a lower rear patch panel that was expected, but the whole top edge is 100% good! After the test fit, we did some more trimming and I hope to have it welded in place on Thursday since I am off work that day.

Attachments

• initial fit.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 516
  • test fit.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 513
Awesome work !! Looks like Jake is having as much fun with this as Ian is having with his Duster. :)

I have a '64 barracuda waiting in the wings and seeing what shape your quarters are in really makes me appreciate mine. I only need the lower half replaced. lol

Test fit and ready to tack in place, the rear valance/trunk panel tonight.....after we prep the frame behind it....

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 477
  • test fit.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 475
-
Back