The tear-down of Jake's 65 begins....

-
Sweet project. :) I have some orig bucket seat cores if you need them. Are you going back red with it?

He's going black with a plumb crazy formula s stripe. Bucket seat cores...hmmmmmm..... his originals were absent and he hasn't decided what to do about them yet. I have a set from a Durango he can use when we get that far unless he comes up with another plan.

We finished our low budget home-made floors today and removed the dash... I think we dumped 3 lbs of acorns out of it, but no live or dead critters... Doesn't look like they chewed any wiring either... Next weekend, we're beginning the prep of the inner fenders and fire wall. Once we get that done, we'll probably tear the front suspension out to get ready for the rebuild. Or maybe tackle the minimal bodywork on the doors/fenders.

Attachments

• rt rr floor done.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 832
  • rt fr floor done.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 829
  • dash out.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 840
Lookin good! Hows that inner cowl look? Doesn't look like any rust from the picture. Wish mine looked that nice.....LOL. Keep up the good work!

Jim - the inner cowl is rock solid! It still amazes me that the floors and 1/4's (from the top) are the only rusted out parts of the beast.

Goldfish - we're getting there. We are farther along at this point than I expected to be. If we can keep the momentum going, I hope to have the quarters hung and the suspension rebuilt before our two week vacation to Niagara and New England in June.

Short story tonight...it's getting late. One small patch on the left inner fender...done......until we get the innersand firewall power washed and stripped/prepped for primer/paint

Attachments

• inner fender.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 786
Take that steering column out, its killing me seeing it hang there! Its only 1 bolt on the coupler and an electrical plug...Good work! Newer Sebring seats have the seatbelt/shoulder strap built in as there is no good place to put a shoulder belt in these. I bet he doesnt break that 7.25 SG with that 273 or a stock 318. One leggers were weak, but the 7.25 SG lasted almost a year behind my 340 with 10 inch tires 3.55 rear and a teen foot.

ah, the steering column is back up in place for now.... makes it easier to steer it when we push it in and out of the garage/driveway for various reasons.... It'll come out eventually...lol Sebring seats.... We'll have to look into that. As for the rear - we decided to go ahead and put the 8-3/4 in just so he won't have to later in life when the hp's go up.....

Not even a month and you guys have accomplished a lot. Great project and have fun with it. toolman

Was 60 degrees here today, so we rolled it out and Jake power washed the underhood area... a couple of pics of him in action.... We also stripped the lower portion of the doors and left front fender to see how bad they really are... I am very please with how bad they are not!!! We also assembled the 8-3/4 rear I practically stole and set it off to the side. I dug a pair of shock plates and U bolts for it out of the shed and handed them to Jake. All he said was "why am I not surprised that you had some for me"... I told him to tell his mother that's why I don't throw much away....LOL Next weekend, we're planning to tackle the left fender and door.... I gotta keep the momentum going.............................

Attachments

• lower fender.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 763
  • lower doorstrip.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 760
  • lower door.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 765
  • January wash3.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 759
  • January wash2.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 768
  • January wash.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 762
between dinner and bath/bed for the lil ones, I got an hour or so on it this evening... Need to grind em down, but the welding is done on the fender..... my welds might be ugly, but thet are functional and a few skim coats of filler and you can't see them...lol

Attachments

• fender patch.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 725
  • fender patch2.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 721
nice patch panel work! how did you guys cut through the floor without damaging the subframe?

Thanks Matt. I'm very pleased with how the floors turned out for making my own... As for not damaging the subframe, I cut the old floors out with the "whizzer" - 3" cut off disc - It was easy to tell when I got to the frame under the sheet metal, and just skimmed across the top until i was thru the floor. The floors were rusted enough at the spot welds to just break away at those points, and then just ground the original welds down. When we put the patches in on the right side, we made the front come down to weld all the way across the frame, and tied the next piece into the first... In hindsight, seeing how it's always 20/20, I should have brought the left side back to the same place....

We're heading to Pittsburgh in 3 or 4 weeks to pick up a full right 1/4 and trunk lid from an Iowa born parts car... (and the left side for Scotty as a bonus). With that, we will have all the needed sheet metal for the beast. That should be a fun 13 hr round trip for us -including lunch at Somma Pizza (and stopping at a friends house to drop off a purple flamingo...LOL)

I did 1/2 quarters on my Fury... looks like full 1/4's are going to be easier....

Not alot of progress since our last update.... Sold the 7-1/4 suregrip to fund the right side 1/4 and trunk lid, so we had to remove that yesterday and went ahead and put the 8-3/4 under it today. If I didn't have to keep it where I could roll it in and out of the garage, I'd have left the rear out until the 1/4's are done.... Speaking of which- decided it makes entirely too much mess to strip paint and smooth bondo in the garage, so we started sizing up the left 1/4 as opposed to working the front fenders and doors..... It's off a Valiant, but it'll do just fine.....

Attachments

• qtr match up.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 640
shoot ...i would have bought your old quarter ...i could have made that work....

Everywhere there's a jagged brown spot is a rust hole or swiss cheese. By the time we get the old one removed, the only part that will be left isthe gas filler hole.....

There's no turning back now..... Got the tape measure, sharpie, cut off tool and the sawzall out this evening and opened up the left side. Amazing how much better the car looks without the rusty 1/4...... Made the initial cuts and here you see the result. Still have to trim here and there andpeel the jamb apart.....

Attachments

• pullin it off.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 605
  • pullin it off2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 600
  • opened up.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 589
  • opened up2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 602
The Smokey and the Bandit run to/from Pittsburgh to pick up Jake's and Scotty's quarters is on for this Saturday...woo-hoo!!!!!:burnout:

Planning as such: leave home 5am, drive thru breakfast in Western Maryland, arrive inP'burgh 10-10:30am, Somma Pizza by noon, Greensburg by 2:30pm, home at 8pm....or so.... Too bad Jake doesn't have his learner's permit yet, he could get some good highway driving practice in.

-
Back