The truth about caltracs

-
Do sliders help slow the tire hit ?
I'm looking at John's wheelie and don't want that for my first ever launch. I'm not a pussy but I think I'll total my **** before I get a pass on it, how to remedy that with a 650+ horse bb that weighs small block? Leaving off the foot brake

That wasn’t me that was the nut that owned the car before me. Lol. Nitrous comes on FAST from what I’ve been told.

Oh thank God, I won't have to worry about that then.

My no adder ladder bar small block has come up further than I wanted it to and usually slows me down .01. I try to keep notes now and a few clicks on the front fixes it.
9390A7BA-5746-459A-AD1E-4E1ADE771FE0.jpeg

You have a transbrake ?
That's probably a very light 400 ish pound engine too

Like PBR pointed out, a few clicks of the adjusters on the front shocks can clean up the big wheelie. That’s why DA shocks are so important. You can adjust the rebound without changing the bump and vice versa. That’s a big tuning help too.

Like PBR pointed out, a few clicks of the adjusters on the front shocks can clean up the big wheelie. That’s why DA shocks are so important. You can adjust the rebound without changing the bump and vice versa. That’s a big tuning help too.
Yeah I better go get some then.

I only have single adjustable on the front right now but after I get rid of my 20 plus year old rear shocks I’m going to upgrade the front shocks.

I only have single adjustable on the front right now but after I get rid of my 20 plus year old rear shocks I’m going to upgrade the front shocks.
I have new 90-10 Calvert s are the worth a **** at all for just a season ?

Has the “snow giant” made it down the hill yet? I was at the shop today and we were discussing snow and whatnot.
Yeah I got there at 11:45, it's pretty treacherous up on that hill, lol.

you'll think it's crazy, but it works for me. Passenger side is adjusted to contact the spring. no preload. drivers side i slip a Quarter (25 cent piece) under the adjuster until it contacts the coin, then i push the coin out. The Ranchos out back are set on 9. Torsion bars are set. drivers side three time tighter than passenger. 80/20 shock drivers side. 90/10 passenger side. It pulls 1.42 60 ft. Mind you this is with a 3000 stahl. It hooks hard and does not slip.

Yup Caltracs don’t work. Never had em on an a-body but on my Belvedere
3750 lbs with 9x28 slicks. 3.91 gears and Qa-1 shocks.
It too some time to get it all working correctly
Best of 9.88@ 135 mph with 1.38 60 ft

425EF0D3-5716-4C3C-8F58-F0CB6BE8EA06.jpeg

506D6D20-5547-466B-89EE-576B6F5D9A0C.jpeg

I don't know but I have a friend who has a SA/E mopar that runs 1.30 60 ft, that's on a 7" slick with little more than 500hp. He's on Calvert split mono leaf springs and Caltracks that appear to work.

I don't know but I have a friend who has a SA/E mopar that runs 1.30 60 ft, that's on a 7" slick with little more than 500hp. He's on Calvert split mono leaf springs and Caltracks that appear to work.

That’s why I asked about who said they didn’t work. I know I didn’t say that.

Love that photo!!!! May I make a suggestion? The front end of your car is twisted. This can be adjusted to come out even easily. The Cal-Tracks will work even better. I fixed this this way because mine did it.
70/30 shock on drivers side. 90/10 on Pass. side. Find your lowest ride height even side to side in the front. My ride height is determend how high it has to be to get in the trailer. Last, increase the the spring tension on the driver's side torsion bar. I'd start with 5 full turns and go from there. There is a balance point of how tight on the driver's side and how loose you are on the pass.

Love that photo!!!! May I make a suggestion? The front end of your car is twisted. This can be adjusted to come out even easily. The Cal-Tracks will work even better. I fixed this this way because mine did it.
70/30 shock on drivers side. 90/10 on Pass. side. Find your lowest ride height even side to side in the front. My ride height is determend how high it has to be to get in the trailer. Last, increase the the spring tension on the driver's side torsion bar. I'd start with 5 full turns and go from there. There is a balance point of how tight on the driver's side and how loose you are on the pass.
They work , my Dart ran its best 60ft 1.40 on Super Stock springs but it was inconsistent , since adding the Cal Tracs many years ago my 60 its are consistent last time out 1.59 ( deep staging ) on four runs both lanes. Most times out my 60 ft never varies more than a hundredth.

23C44979-CBA3-4D10-9D89-D12E18E5351F.jpeg

My mate who I used to crew for with his 3800lb '69 RR has done quite well with c/tracs/mono's and 9-ways with rubbish 15yr old 90/10's of some make, not earth shattering 60ft's but a best of 1.42, and 10.30@130, traps at just 6200-ish, low 1st gear in 727, 4.10 Dana, 10x29 Hoosier D06@17psi, 2 flats and 7 on the 9-ways, an on track calculated 688hp mild big wedge motor, in full street trim, drive to track and home.

john launc 10.jpg

Last edited:
I don't care if you have caltrac's, ss spring or just plan old stock springs.
Put some tires on that you know will never hook! then play with the front torsion bars until you can keep control of the car(spinning straight) with a half track spinning rear tires.
Bolt back on your slicks and i bet it hook! If it don't, then mess with the caltracs.
Try it!
It worked for me.
I'm running SS Spring. Caltrac's were above my price range.
My next set of slick will be smaller, they will hook, and the car will be faster.
Just my 2 cents

-
Back