Thermo quad float bowl adjustment

-
The float level height not being sensitive on a TQ is seen when you’re testing the emission level. The actual driving feel is not an issue in most cases that I have crossed.

The float level height not being sensitive on a TQ is seen when you’re testing the emission level. The actual driving feel is not an issue in most cases that I have crossed.
I've not been into them that much. Had just one on the 340 swapped into the 70 RR and most the time, that girl wore a Holley spread bore and even a QJ!!!

So what do you reckon the "plus minus" tolerance is?

So what do you reckon the "plus minus" tolerance is?
I know you didn’t intend that question to be a loaded question but it is because the variables in each application will demand a different setting.

If you have the engine on a test stand or even better yet, in a car on a rolling chassis dyno with the equipment in everything to be monitored, you’ll find a difference. Setting will change not only with engine specs but also transmission, rear end gearing, tire size, car weight, and the best known issue of where you are.
Sea level or a mile high.

Most hobbyists will do a reasonable job tuning a carb if they’re serious enough. Let your nose and spark plugs tell you the story.

You guys are funny, I use a drill blank and get it as close as possible to spec. Then go from there...

You guys are funny, I use a drill blank and get it as close as possible to spec. Then go from there...
That is the way I've always done. When I was bashing around in the old FJ-40--at times had 360, 340, and 318, I used to "lean" towards a little low on float level.

I have never seen a tolerance quoted on the float level for Carter 4 bbl carbs. When the car is moving, the fuel is sloshing around. What is the fuel level then.......

I have never seen a tolerance quoted on the float level for Carter 4 bbl carbs. When the car is moving, the fuel is sloshing around. What is the fuel level then.......
I get where you’re coming from but the fuel sloshing around is sloshing around at a higher or lower level.

The point is the level is never steady. Look at the engine movement when there is a lumpy cam....

I understand the point but you’re trying to split a hair that overall has no merit. Argue all you want, break out the theory, introduce your calculator, chalkboard and show how the abacus and the slide ruler work and spin your tale & twist how you like.

Your entitled to your opinion, not the facts.

I presented facts. Apparently you don't like them...like last time.

I presented facts. Apparently you don't like them...like last time.
The fact the fuel slosh’s around….. that the fuel level within is jumbly (sp?) moving about, yes…. And…..

Last time you were off base. Not on point…. Next……

-
Back