Thermo quad vs Edlebrock

-

CUDACOX

Reaction score
Hi all, I know I asked questions about thermoquad carbs before and got some good answers.
I'm stuck on which to use.My question is this... Do I spend $400.00+ on a new 750 Eddie,or use this 800 Thermoquad that I got from a buddy? I have some mixed feelings from other Mopar buds,saying leave the Thermobog on the shelf! Please give me your opinions,positive or negative.
Let's here them all! I Forgot to mention I have a 1970 340 4 speed gently messaged, 391 sure grip,nothing serious. Thanks in advance.. Craig.

i would use the theromquad before an edelbrock carb what would it cost a rebuild kit vs a new carb them 340's rev high and want lots of fuel

When properly tuned by someone that knows how a Thermoquad can suck an Edeljunk right down. There's absolutely no compasison. There's a reason Thermoquads are STILL used and WIN in super stock racing to this day.

I took a new 1311 (750) Edelbrock out of the box and bolted it on the motor. It has worked well for ten years, 30,000 miles and hundreds of passes down the track. Could I pick up a tenth or so with the Thermoquad? I don't know, maybe but this one has worked out pretty well.

Check with Demon Sizzler, he has a web site. He rebuilds and sells them and has lists of the best models to use. Nothing sounds like a TQ when it is wide open!8)

Lets be clear about what I said. Edelbrocks are good carbs. They work well. "I" personally ain't crazy about um. Can you tell? They just do not possess the same possibilities as a Thermoquad. you can ride around getting 20 plus MPG in the small primaries and have an 850 CFM beast on demand. You caint beat it.

Check with Demon Sizzler, he has a web site. He rebuilds and sells them and has lists of the best models to use. Nothing sounds like a TQ when it is wide open!8)

Indeed. I had David build a 1000 CFM unit for me years ago because he had all the parts to do it. That carb hauled butt on top of a 416 I had in a 67 Dart GT.

Thermoquad....
most people are scared to work on a TQ, because they don't know anything
about them, terribly easy.
unless it's cracked, you can rebuild it for the price of a kit.--$30-40.00?

"the bog", you can fix that in the time it took you to read this thread.

Lets be clear about what I said. Edelbrocks are good carbs. They work well.

Clear as mud!! lol

I have run both and have no complaints. Edelbrocks are just Carter AFBs that were used on Mopars for years, they didn't invent a new carb. My 600 has performed flawlessly. I ran a Thermoquad on a high winding 340 with no complaints either.

I would put the money into the Thermoquad if that's what you have and spend the extra money elsewhere.

With the small primaries and large secondaries this carb is a good street choice. You will have excellent low end throttle response with very good top end power. Hopefully you have the choke set up as well. This works nice for the cold start and when the choke pull off is working correctly, this not only opens the choke plate but is very critical in secondary air valve opening rate. Also, you can make primary metering rod adjustments which will help for "street driving" slightly leaner and "hot rod/strip" driving by turning the screw clockwise, which will lift the metering rods up out of the main jet giving a richer air/fuel mixture. One last thing, there is a "spring adjustment" on the secondary air valve as well, do not forget about this. It can fine your air valve "bog"...if you have one.
My choice...the Thermoquad!

Attachments

• Dart going up very high #2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 186
I would put the money into the Thermoquad if that's what you have and spend the extra money elsewhere.

Have used Thermquads on the street, various race cars including a NHRA 72 Demon Super Stocker and an Super Gas 87 Dodge Charger.

Thermoquads are not overly complicated but if you have not rebuilt or modified one before get someone with a working knowledge of this carb to lend a hand.

Early Thermquads 72 to 75 are the most tuneable but others will work well also.

Although long out of production, try and get a Carter Strip Kit for the carb as this will make tuning alot easilier.

I have no issue with ethier carb and have used both a number of times with sucess. So, between the 2 carbs, my vote goes to the Thermo Quad and heres why;
Thermoquad....
most people are scared to work on a TQ, because they don't know anything
about them, terribly easy.
unless it's cracked, you can rebuild it for the price of a kit.--$30-40.00?

"the bog", you can fix that in the time it took you to read this thread.

Like Mr. Bill said above, most every TQ I have picked up was $20 - $50 carb. A rebuild kit is under $40. In learning the carb and rebuilding it yourself with an added cost of a soulution to dip it in, a garden hose to rinse it off, compressed air to dry it and blow the passages clean and a gasket scraper, you can do other peoples carbs right quick for a recap of dough.

The T-Q does have a bunch of finer points to adjust. It's a royal pain the first time you do it and just a simple pain when your on the hundreth carb. But once done, it will operate fine.

The "BOG" is due to several possibilties if not a couple acting out at once. Any carb can have this issue. On a T-Q, the secondary side can open up to quick and cause this. Something other carbs do not allways suffer from.

With the small primaries and large secondaries this carb is a good street choice. You will have excellent low end throttle response with very good top end power.
My choice...the Thermoquad!

Part of Rob's post is the reason I looked into this carb.The smaller primaries will lend themselfs to excellent throttle response and high velocity for better fuel atomization. Finer fuel atomizing means the the fuel is more in a mist state which burns more completely. Which equals mileage and power due to the complete fuel burn. Of course, an ill tuned carb of any sytle will get poor mileage and run like crap. So you'll need to take the time to get it right. This is a bit more of a pain with a T-Q since they do not come apart to tune so easy.

Small mileage getter primary side with excellent throttle response, big secondary side for that MoPar "HOWL" while getting the cfm's needed to feed a monster.

Thermoquads are not overly complicated but if you have not rebuilt or modified one before get someone with a working knowledge of this carb to lend a hand.

Early Thermquads 72 to 75 are the most tuneable but others will work well also.

Agreed!

The T-Q is an excellent street or street/strip carb

The biggest secret is learning them, setting them up correctly and the final thing is keep the heat away from them.

Thanks for all the replies! It looks like I'll be bolting the TQ on in the Spring! The whole reason behind my questions is.. My buddy I got the TQ from had it on the 340 I also got from him,in my Duster now. He said that the TQ performed better than the 750 Edlebrock(on it now)but he had surging problems only to find out after he replaced the carbs that it was a crack in the cast intake. The TQ was all rebuilt a couple of years ago,but only used for a short time.I just didn't want to bolt it on without some input from all of you! Something else I didn't know about 1971 340 TQ's is that it is supposed to be the best year. I bought a complete,untouched 1971 340 that came out of a Demon in 1985-86 and has been sitting in a shed all this time!Complete with original TQ and Exhaust etc.I will be for sure rebuilding that once I get it home!! Thanks again to all, and this excellent site!! Craig.

My buddy runs that carb: 1968 Bee 500 stroker. It seems to work well.11.70 in the 1/4.My 340 is not in need of such a animal! Hes on FBBO BEEZEE

-
Back