Thermostat Housing Leak

-

olddman

Reaction score
Just thought I would let you know:
Have a 1965 Dodge Dart GT with a 273 in it. Have had a problem with a leak where the thermostat housing mounts to the intake. Got a lot of suggestions from members of A-Bodies, but I had already tried many of them. Got my Aug. 2012 Mopar Action and inside was an article on this problem with a fix from Terry Flebbe.
I ordered complete kit from Terrys Auto Lab (www.terrysautolab.com) and installed it a couple of weeks ago. As of now the housing is not leaking for the first time in a long time!
Kit is easy to install and you might want to check it out.
Cost was about $117, but I thought if it stops the leak money well spent.
Any questions let me know.

not meant to start a fire here, but i would never spend that kind of money just to stop a leak. i am using chrome necks on both my small blocks (which seem to be the most prone to leaking) and with a little elbow grease and a block sander, they are both sealed up perfectly and only cost me $3.99. i think $120.00 is completely ridiculous to spend on an otherwise basic seal IMHO.... but hey, if it works and you got the loot to spend on it, have at it...

I saw that $120 piece too. Besides the high dollars, having steel-alum-steel is known as "a battery" to electro-chemists, though you do see that elsewhere like early A iron water pumps on alum timing cover. I had a leak in my 65 273 even after I carefully installed a new chrome thermostat housing on my new (for me) Edelbrock intake. In my case, I think it was from the extra inner bolt holes that span the gasket. No more leak after I put setscrews and RTV in those holes and used a thicker gasket.

I also got one from Terry Auto lab as well.

I have yet to install but it should work out awesome.

To me the price was reasonable. Considering the time spent on machining would be an easy hour (cnc)... times any normal machine shops rate.. plus materials puts you damn close to 100 bucks.

Price is fair and if it solves the leaks without another worry i have no complaints and frustration free.

I considered doing the same idea but the price was damn near the same

Yeah i had the same problem (Leaking) from the housing when i switched to a billet and running the LD4B INTAKE. I ended up using 2 gaskets coated them both with RTV and let it sit for a bout 20 mins than fitted it and just nipped the bolts up.After an hour torque them up to 30 f lbs and its been perfect since.

Yea I was about to go that route,
But was given pointers on hear and now no leaks at all with the chrome housing.

Sanded it flat( that really took some doing!) and sealed the gasket on both sides with the "Right Stuff" and no leaks what so ever in over two weeks, and two road trips in to car shows in the dart. I am happy, and the money I saved not buying that new fangled housing paid for one of my new wheels!

If it seals your thermostat,and your happy with it,thats all that matters.Although a little pricey, that is a neat piece.

I will stick with a cheap gasket,RTV, and the knowledge of how to install it.
Leak free.

Expensive? a little, Cool, absolutley and no leaks!! first time in almost 5 years. This piece is really nicely engineered with two O rings. Worth every penny IMO.

Attachments

• housing2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 972
  • housing1.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 923
Why an intermediate piece?

Why not just make a one piece housing with the O ring embossed into that so you don't run the risk of two possible places to leak?

Can you buy replacement o rings?

Why an intermediate piece?

Why not just make a one piece housing with the O ring embossed into that so you don't run the risk of two possible places to leak?

Can you buy replacement o rings?
The base seals against the intake (first O ring) and seats the smaller 1980-up thermostat. The top piece seals against the lower piece with the second O ring.The larger one for the adapter plate is Dynaline # 54229 and the smaller one for the housing is Dynaline # 54226. Really, I am the most sceptical cheap SOB I know but this is a cool piece.

.............I thought Summit sold a chrome water neck with an 0 ring.......4 about 40 something......or y not get a buddy to machine an 0 ring grove in urs....kim........

Never Leaked from Day ONE....

Nice looking also.....
Billet Specialties 90820 - Billet Specialties Thermostat Housings

• $44.75
Billet Aluminum, Polished, Straight Up, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Big Block, Small Block, Each

Attachments

• 336-1.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 926
I saw that on Summit. And if my leak ever comes back I will go that rout! It sure looks nice!

Nice looking also.....

• $44.75
Billet Aluminum, Polished, Straight Up, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Big Block, Small Block, Each

Nice looking also.....

• $44.75
Man whats up with your top hose???????

Good to read what others have done to solve their leaks. I tried what a lot of you have done. Two gaskets, used RTV, thick gaskets, thin gaskets, RTV only, chrome housing, billet housing, sanding intake and housing, almost thought about trying to weld the two together. There was one or twice that the leak stopped for two to three months and then would start again. Just tired of spending money and not solving the problem.
All the help that I got from all of the members of ForABodies Only gave me is appreciated, and I thank everyone for their input. This is a great site to come to with a problem and have so many respond with what they have done to fix a like problem. There is a wealth of knowledge here that everyone is willing to share. Thanks again for all of you helping me out.
By the way, no leaks!!

I just ordered the housing from Terry's Auto Lab today. I'm sick of having coolant leaking from mine. Hopefully this will fix it once and for all.

-
Back