Thermostat or No Thermostat?

-

SLC Duster Dude

Reaction score
360 .40 over, stock pistons, Eddie heads, Air Gap manifold, medium Eddie cam, headers aluminum radiator and electric fan.

I always have an overheating problem when the temps get over 85°. Not driving down the highway, but as soon as I slow down or wait at a light. The radiator is in excellent shape, no crud or anything. New 13psi cap too. I took the thermostat out last year thinking it would help but it doesn't. The electric fan is 16" high flow (2400 cfm) and goes almost top to bottom but not side to side.

Thoughts? Ideas?

You need a better pump and a better radiator. Just because the radiator isn't plugged doesn't mean it's big enough.

Also, a high volume water pump should be on every build. Ever. You can get a Milodon pump for 80 bucks or something.

remember that thermostat's to keep the motor from running too cold. you don't want that thing running at 120' on a cold day

Check your gauge, if you are going by the stock one, they can vary alot in readings.
I actually have two gauges in my old truck, the stock one and a aftermarket.
When the stock gauge is in the middle range, the aftermarket is almost at 210.
I have verified the readings with an IR gauge, and the aftermarket one is dead on, the stock one is just a suggestion.

i have a 408 stroker@500 hp with a stock pump,stock 26" rad. and shroud.runs under 200 degrees all day long in 90 degree temps.countless stories of overheating with electric fans and fancy rads.not saying they are bad,i just read it all the time.stock mopar cooling systems work great on our old cars

Check pulley diameters. -- The crank pulley should be larger than the water pump pulley. -- Also need a good shroud - fan blades half in - half out.

Was your old thermostat of the proper temperature range? If so , it may not have been working properly. The easiest and cheapest initial try should be a new thermostat.
Yote

The thermostat sets the minimum coolant temp. As long as it is functioning properly, it has nothing to do with the maximum temp.

If it overheats below about 30 mph this is a heat shedding issue, the rad is not shedding it fast enough. Since at this time, it is the fans job to get the air through the rad, that is the first go-to. Of course the rad has to be sealed to the core and to the hood so air cannot sneak around the sides and come back for a second trip which will do nothing but make the issue worse. And finally, the air has to have somewhere to go after it comes thru the rad.

I have the same combo, namely; 360+.040, Eddies, AG, and Headers. My rad is a 1973 A/C rad.Hyup 45 years old this year, and I've had it since the late 70s; I was second owner of that old moredoor,lol.
But I run a hi-flow pump and stat plus a 7 blade steel fan with a thermostatic fan-clutch. I run a 7psi cap, and a 205*hi-flo stat., and fresh cold air into the carb. I also ventilated the hood so that the hot air has somewhere to go when I shut it off. I have zero heating issues,zero.
It's been like that since 2004,about 100,000 miles.
But I'll tell you a secret; KB says to run those KB 107s on the street at .0015 to .002 skirt clearance, and the engine kept locking up every time I shut it off, even with a 195 stat.
Well easy solution, I had the cylinders honed out a tad more.I think I am at .0025. I'll take the early morning rattle thank you very much;it only lasts for a few seconds during warm-up.
And finally, my combo (4-speed/3.55s and a 230*cam) likes advance of 12 to 14 initial. I run a two-stage curve with a kink at 2800, where it runs 28*. Full timing comes in at about 3400=32/34*. With this curve I run 87E10 at 10.9Scr. I have run it at up to 185psi, still on 87E10.
With an automatic, you can run more initial, and with a hi-stall wouldn't need the kink. But if your all-in is too early, you won't be able to run 87....... unless it's higher than 3400,lol.
Happy HotRodding
PS
I'm not gonna tell you to get rid of the electric fan,lol, unlike some other guys on here always do..... But you couldn't give me one. On the street it makes very little sense to me. If it pukes you are walking. Go mechanical and carry a spare belt. My Milodon pump has over 100,000 miles on it. Cheapest pump, in the long haul, that I ever bought. In Canada it cost me over $150 delivered,yet when the time comes, I will for sure get another.
Ok, I confess, I am that guy, lol.
And here's why; On the street that cooling system is in a constant mode of working hard. So you are running the alternator to supply the power to run the fan, and sucking the battery down whenever the alt cannot do it by itself. What's wrong with that picture? You know the alternator is not very efficient at converting energy right? Some say about 20%. So you are just trading a couple of HP that would be required to run the fan on the street, for several times more HP to run the electrics.And in the meantime, these issues keep popping up. If you lose an engine, it's gonna be a bit irritating. So I say run a thermostatic fan-clutch, on a big 7 blader,with a matching shroud, and IMO, the majority of your problems will be over. The hi flows, the drive ratio, and CAI,are icing.

Last edited:
360 .40 over, stock pistons, Eddie heads, Air Gap manifold, medium Eddie cam, headers aluminum radiator and electric fan.

I always have an overheating problem when the temps get over 85°. Not driving down the highway, but as soon as I slow down or wait at a light. The radiator is in excellent shape, no crud or anything. New 13psi cap too. I took the thermostat out last year thinking it would help but it doesn't. The electric fan is 16" high flow (2400 cfm) and goes almost top to bottom but not side to side.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I know you have a lot of suggestions already, but I think your main problem is not getting airflow over the whole core like a regular fan with a shroud does.
When you are on the hiway you do get airflow over the whole thing, so even though your engine builds more heat under hiway speeds it's obviously capable of cooling it with flow over the full radiator core.
Betcha if you did a clutch fan with a shroud you would stop having heat issues.

A mere thermostat change cured my severely overheating 340 even though the previous thermostat had only been in the car for about 300 miles.
Yote

200-210 ok with coolant 205 is not an unusual thermostat rating when mileage is important
water pump pick one with a solid impeller or if stamped with a metal plate behind the blades- much more efficient - less cavitation
all the posts about ratios
seal the core support- but cool air to the carb- if in a cold weather area run manifold heat or heat from the exhaust to the air cleaner
run a valance/ spoiler
I got over running electric only- is your fan as strong as the Big Ford or Mustang?
picky but redline water wetter works
put a higher rated cap on if you have good hoses
dbl check your vacuum advance/ mechanical advance
retarded cam can do it
lots of things
what converter?

how sure are you the rad is clear? I'd check temp with an infrared gun, or if you can check it with your hand, make sure the rad has an even gradient of heat/cool on the fin surface. If you have isolated cool spots where they shouldn't be, it is indicative of plugged tubes, very common problem.
Also, I didn't see mention of rear gear. I never had an overheating issue until I went from 3.9's to 4.30's.
One more thing, removing the thermostat is not a solution.

how sure are you the rad is clear? I'd check temp with an infrared gun, or if you can check it with your hand, make sure the rad has an even gradient of heat/cool on the fin surface. If you have isolated cool spots where they shouldn't be, it is indicative of plugged tubes, very common problem.
Also, I didn't see mention of rear gear. I never had an overheating issue until I went from 3.9's to 4.30's.
4.10's And I'll have to check the radiator a little more closely.

4.10's And I'll have to check the radiator a little more closely.
if you have any plugged tubes, a good rad shop can take the tanks off, and run flat rods thru the core tubes, pushing out all the rust , sand, and sediment which can accumulate in the tubes. I had one done, years ago, and the difference was like night and day. A possible symptom is losing coolant out the overflow at freeway speeds.

if you do decide to rod out your radiator (did you say it was new?) you can have it converted to a 3 flow- Z flow
down-up-down for a downflow or back and forth and back for a side tank radiator all it takes is some baffles in the tanks - your shroud ok? did you say if you had AC?

You mentioned everything but the water pump. Based on the components you mentioned and condition of them I'd say put a good hiflow pump on first, I bet it'll solve your problem. You need to move the coolant. YR mentioned the Milodon, or a $30 Gates (made in China unfortunately) high flow will suffice

Right. One not-understood function of a t'stat is to put a restriction in the water flow path right AFTER the coolant passes through the heads. This makes sure that there is higher coolant pressure in the heads, where the water jacket is the hottest, and that in turn makes the coolant less likely to boil in the heads.

So run a t'stat of some sort, or a restrictor in the place of the t'stat.

The electric fan is 16" high flow (2400 cfm) and goes almost top to bottom but not side to side.
That fan airflow rating is for open air only, with no restriction in front of the fan. Auto radiators are fairly substantial flow restrictors and you can get some moderate pressure drop through them. When that happens, many (most?) of the fans being sold for purported auto use have their airflow just drop into the toilet. So, very likely, as mentioned by others you're not getting anything close to 2400 cfm of airflow, and that is killing the cooling at low speeds.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Running without a thermostat is not a good idea... It makes the engine warm up slower which increases wear.... 80 - 90 % of wear happens when the engine is cold...

You need a good shroud and make all of the air from the radiator go through the shroud... Not all electric fans have a large enough shroud to cover the whole surface area of the radiator...

The shroud should act like a funnel so all of the air passing through the radiator goes through the fan...

-
Back