These guys are on top their game

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s the same group but the belt drive system they make is beautiful

90B5DA42-E06C-4249-98CF-ADE2F3002EE5.jpeg

I was contemplating doing some intake work, incorporating 3d printed components.

I'm thinking of all of the exotic intakes (sbm/bbm) that Chrysler has made over the years. It would be fun to have a miniature example of each mounted in my office.

I've been investigating high temperature filaments. Some of them are good to 320 F.

I’d be less concerned with temperature, more concerned about the filament’s ability to withstand the harsh chemicals present in an engine.

I’d be less concerned with temperature, more concerned about the filament’s ability to withstand the harsh chemicals present in an engine.
The plastic(HDPE, PP, ? forget) fuel tank in My '87 Dak is the only thing that hasn't deteriorated yet here in the salt belt. Castable plastics usually top out@280°F, and structural items like intakes, splash-shields are usually fiber reinforced. I looked at printers, but large enough ones were a bit much, & initial research on the materials for a finish product wasn't thorough. Interested in the promise of these tho'.

I've had lots of stuff printed in all the latest and greatest materials.

If they're strong enough, they're porous and would leak. If it deals with heat, it's brittle, if it's chemical resistant it lacks strength.

Printing manifolds is a waste of time IMO. But, it's possible to print (or machine from sign foam, or other suitable materials) a core which can be used in various sand casting processes.

V-process casting is a low dollar way to sand cast custom items. Leave some stock for machine allowances and treat it like any other manifold. The process also supports cores for the runners and plenum. Takes some careful Design to limit the amount and number of undercuts, but nothing too limiting.

It's a project I've contemplated more than once. Even got access to a 3d scanner that I might try and run over an engine or intake at some point..

this guy is from Austria. I think the belt drives you mentioned are made in Australia.

I think you are right. I just kinda quickly saw it and thought it looked pretty cool. If I ever won the lottery (and I don’t play the lottery) I would have one of those belt drives on my small block and 572.

It could be a core to a lost-wax mold, which would make more sense to me instead of trying to find a suitable filament for surviving and engine bay.

It could be a core to a lost-wax mold, which would make more sense to me instead of trying to find a suitable filament for surviving and engine bay.
Well sure but you're talking about metal casting at that point and big $

Could think about printed metal stuff though

Well sure but you're talking about metal casting at that point and big $

Could think about printed metal stuff though

Casting costs are nothing compared to sintering powdered metal. Printing aluminum comes with significant additional challenges too.
Investment casting tooling is expensive, but sand casting tooling is not and can be made from a multitude of materials. 3d printing not required.
For something the size and complexity of an intake manifold, tooling quotes for low rate (<10 parts) have ranged from $2k to $10k - depending on how much engineering is required from the foundry. From there, casts are probably in the $80-200 range depending on the level of complexity and processing. Then one needs to get it machined.
The last time I printed metal, I got about a dozen key-chain sized items for about $9k.

I promise you guys it won't hold up to the Temps or the forces involved. The AfR composite manifold is a leaky POJ. J.Rob

Back when 3D printing first became a thing, I read about some race team (about the only ones who could afford it) that was printing manifolds that would last long enough for a couple of dyno runs. Made changes and had a new one ready to test the next day. Got the design where they wanted it before it went to the aluminum foundry.

I could print something like that with my bambu labs carbon. That doesn't mean it would work. Good for prototype and test fit work though.

-
Back