They're still out there -

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
But I never thought I'd bring one home ! Have to share the short story : last Wednesday my Mopar buddy Greg calls me from down south and says "my nephew is doing some remodeling on a home across town from you and called to say there's a car like yours, Uncle Greg, in the ladies back yard." So the calls start coming from Greg every hour or so with updates as he has his nephew do some research for him. Car was not like Uncle Greg's (well, in make and model only) as Greg has a 73 400 4 spd RR. As the day went on, Greg pretty much had it decoded, but nephew's cell phone camera didn't take the greatest pics (the attached are from my cell, not much better). The owner of the home and car passed away a few months back, his sister her husband were down from up north to tie up loose ends, fix up and sell the home, etc. Anyway, Greg comes up Saturday AM with what cash he could pull together and arranged to meet the sister and brother-in-law through his nephew, to discuss moving the car to storage for them for a fair price (which is what they originally wanted) as Greg tows boats/vehicles for a living and nephew mentioned his Uncle could assist. Greg picks me up on the way and we head across town. The car sat beside the house in plain sight and the guy must have been pestered for years by people wanting to buy it as it sat rotting away. We arrived before sister and brother in law and had plenty of time to go over the car. Really sad - makes you angry, but out of respect for the dead, I'll hold my tongue. It was originally a column shifted auto, 383 car. At some point the guy converted it to a pistol gripped 4-speed with a 440. It was Vitamin C w/black vinyl top and an 8 3/4. Classic 80's styling abounds : slotted ET mags, fiberglass fender flares, traction bars and High-Jacker air shocks, Cherry Bombs and a magnetic base CB antenna. It's old school cool (like many of us). Oh and get this - blue shag carpet and a Craig stereo, box speakers on the rear seat and one of those old FM antenna boosters! Undercarriage looks great, interior has excellent dashpanel/gauges, rear seats could probably be used, fronts need a recover. Sadly, the body is shot - it needs it all (I mean ALL). So while we're lamenting the condition and what may be salvageable and sale-able, the sister and brother-in-law arrive. Brother in law talks about having it restored - we give him a sincere reality check, he talks about the car back-in-the-day when they ripped around town and how sad it was to see it rotted away. After a 20 minute "orientation" on restoration costs and the possibility of dismantling and selling asst parts he states "we aren't mechanics" and asks if we could "just move it off the property by the end of the weekend." Sister gets Greg's address to mail him the title and original bill of sale when she gets back home as it's with brother's personal belongings (brother was original owner). Yep - freebie. We were dead honest with the couple - no deception at all. So why am I sharing the story and pics ? 'Cause I gave Uncle Greg 500 bucks for the car (he kept a set of rallyes that were in a shed in the back yard, as well as the original air cleaner). I paid to have it picked up and towed by a friends-friend (nobody would touch it without proof of sale - and we had nuthin') and dropped in the garage Saturday night. I just felt I'd share because 1) I enjoy personal stories like this when I come across them 2) It could just as well have been ANY musclecar and we would have brought it home for free, and 3) It can still happen, they're still out there (though you may have to wait 'till someone dies to have a chance !) I was actually given a 72 Swinger earlier this year by another friend who flips houses and knew I liked Mopars - it was rough as well, but I got it out from behind the house for him and yanked a few pieces I may need for my 70, as well as some swap meet stuff. So, as far as the Roadrunner in the garage, what am I going to do with it ? I don't know yet but I know after spending yesterday and this evening going over it, I really like the car (so does the wife) and would like to have one - maybe I could find a fairly clean shell and build a car - don't know yet, You can PM me if you'd like, but I can't commit to anything just yet. I know the rear and the trans have "dibs" on them if I part her out. Hope you enjoyed the story - may post over at Moparts as well just to share 'cause it's cool, and only car guys could appreciate.

Attachments

• Image011.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 607
  • Image014.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 621
That is too cool great score. And hey maybe after a good inspection it may be saveable.

It would be a major resto - not worth it for a 383 column shift car - I can add pics later this week - you'll see.

Not worth it for a 383 column shift car? They're not making them anymore. Every one cut up is another one gone. It's not like replacement sheet metal is hard to get.

i would never strip a car like that i would offer it up for sale to some one who would want to restore it i have a 75 duster now that most would strip out for parts but i just cant see more of the mopars on this planet turn into toyota turds after there gone its for good and its making are hobby more and more out of reach for the avrege joe like me so no mater how bad you may thank it is some one else may see there dream car in that pile of metal so imo i wouldnt strip the car just thank maybe thats why old guys hold on to cars like that because they cant stand to thank the person thats getting it will onl strip it it dont have to be a 10 point show car make it a survivor fix the brakes fuel lines and motor and trans and drive it

I'd give my eye teeth for a chance at a car like that... It will be a fearsome street machine with some love and some time. Man, they just don't have backyard finds in San Jose like that. At least not that I can find, and I been tryin for years.

If the frame rails and floors arent rotting right out of it, its worth saving. Like someone abv posted, AMD has all sorts of new metal for that car. Especially since you got the car for nada, dont cut it up, sell it make some $$$ while at the same time letting someone else enjoy her.

I'll consider all options. I'll post pics later but like I said : floor pans, trunk pan, rear quarters, hood, lower doorskins, deck lid and all metal around trunk seal, pillars, and jambs around door hinges - all shot. Not original engine or trans, etc. You'd be upside down in this car in no time, but if you loved it enough and had the deep pockets necessary, anything can be restored ...... but does it make sense ?

Whoa - cool find and story, maybe it'll happen to me one day. I agree with you on the resto expense for that particular car. Maybe if it had the original drivetrain (even then, I've seen nice ones for 25G or so) Your pics don't show the detail, but your description says it all - big bucks even if your capable of much of the work yourself (probably need a donor car - that wouldn't be easy either) If a guy really loved this year and car and could care less about originality, knew he'd be upside down in it, etc. anythings do-able. Heck I've seen tougher restos done on much less desirable cars simply outta love.....you never know. Thanks again for the story , good luck whatever you do ....

Cool story and great find.

Post it on Moparts and you'll get the opposite opinion. It will be junk over there and your a crook for not paying for it, or something like that.

If you've got the time to let it sit, you can always put a price on it and try to sell it to someone that is going to restore it. If not, part it out.

Cool find, shame it's been eaten by rust the way you describe.
I agree, you'd really have to love the car (which I do) and have the funds (which I don't) to make it the way it should be.
Good luck and keep us in the loop.

I would see if you could sell it to someone with the body work skills necessary to restore it. For sure if you had to pay a shop it wouldn't be worth it but to someone with time and skills they could do it for cost of parts over time and maybe get her back on the road. Wish I was closer I would consider it.

I love it when people tell me they are going to restore a car I'd like to buy. Then tell me they don't know which end of a screw driver to hold. Cool find. I'll give you $550 for it LOL.

put me in line on buying the car. i am dead serious. i do not care when i have to travel thousands of miles to get a car, no matter the value. i would love to add metal to the car, peice by peice. i am ready to buy whenever you are ready to sell. p.m me at that time

i hate seeing them parted out

Here's the deal - figure what you've got in swap meet parts - then determine if you could sell the car whole for the same change (much less hassle, obviously). Sounds like alot of good parts - if you know your prices (real world, not rip-off) you can figure it out easy enough. Make a list, do a little research on websites, etc.

I'll clean it up this weekend, take some good pics of the cancer, start a new thread for "group assessment". I've done rear quarters and trunk work, this is way beyond my skill level -

-
Back