thinking about going with green ball axle bearings

-

varlo

Joe- Long Island, Oakdale
Reaction score
Like the title says I picked up an 8-3/4 rear with 391's rebuilt center section for 400 bucks!!!! Nevermind the price i need to convert to the big bolt pattern axles. I think i am going to go with yukon axles with these bearings. I just want any knowledge or anything i should be aware of for the install. Is this going to be nice and smooth or a pain. I also have a b-body 8-3/4 rear housing with axles for sale local pick up in ny if anyone is interested or knows anybody that needs them.

Thanks,
Joe

I had a set of green bearings in my last A-body street car. I bought the axles from Moser with bearings already installed. After a few months I had a bearing fail (started leaking and bearing was hard to turn). Called Moser, they told me to remove the thrust block from the carrier assembly (center section). They said the thrust bearing is there for adjustment of tapered bearings. I continued to run the bearings for 2,000-3,000 miles with no problems, and then I sold the car. However, I've read in a reputable Mopar mag that you should not run green bearings on the street because they do not offer any side load (no taper). This makes sense if you consider how the bearings function. It will be interesting to hear the views or experience of others. I'm running tapered bearings in the car I'm building now, but I liked the convenience of the green (non-adjustable) bearing.

The Green vs. Timken debate is about as hotly contested as religion and politics.

Yes, Greens make for fast and easy axle installation. You'll hear people say they can install and adjust tapered bearing axles with equal speed and ease.

You'll hear the argument that Greens can't handle the side load of tapered rollers which may be true but there are also a gazillion other OEM ball bearing applications in use that seem to be doing fine.

You'll find stories of failures in both camps.

I run them as do a lot of other people. I think you'll be fine unless you do something like: install the thrust block.

...I run them as do a lot of other people. I think you'll be fine unless you do something like: install the thrust block.

Hey 70Duster440, dig that wheel tire combo on your ride.

And Joe, on the thrust block issue...defintely good to check and make sure it was not already installed by rebuilder if you run green bearings.

Hey 70Duster440, dig that wheel tire combo on your ride.

And Joe, on the thrust block issue...defintely good to check and make sure it was not already installed by rebuilder if you run green bearings.

What it comes down to is if the 8 3/4 has the tapered, factory designed, axle bearings the thrust block will be there. To remove it you have to disassemble the differential which in itself is a fun job. I've been running the green bearings for a few years without any problems and since I don't plan to do any rally racing they should last a few more.

Terry

I have them in my 73 Dart Sport 340,4 speed also just bought new Moser axel with green bearings installed for my 66 Dart.I haven,t had any problems with them,but I,ve onlt had them in one season.Good Luck!

trim 047.jpg

sound like the majority of you all have good experiences with these bearings. I will probably go with this setup. I am a rookie when it comes to this stuff. I am 20 years old and doing up my scamp with my father i was normally into imports and everything so im not familiar with this sort of stuff. You know the books for dummies. Well this needs to be an axle and rear end learning experience for dummies. I hope you guys can understand that i am new to this stuff and lots of help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

We have all been in your shoes at one time in life.Look at it as a learning experience,you can never learn to much.Atleast your learning Mopar!!

i have them on my cuda.
your dad is into imports? you dont hear that everyday..

I wouldn't run them just because I love turning while going fast. I'm sure Green bearings run fine in modern applications but I'd imagine the assemblies they are used in are engineered for them, whereas the old solid rear ends were engineered to take Timken tapered bearings. I'd just feel more comfortable running what they are designed for.

Hey, at least it's better than having a dad who's not into cars at all. Not that I blame him for it, that's just the way he is, but it sure gets tough sometimes.

Yea im in no rush on this. I would like to just get the whole drivetrain done and in the car and then start the bodywork. Thats gunna be fun to....new quarters,floor pans, trunk pan, and extensions.(just spent a grand on that :/ ) but im not worried about it because my father did wonders on his 67 barracuda and saved a car that probably wasn't worth saving in a lot of guys opinions....and no my dad isnt into imports i was. Im going to sit on it do some research on this stuff and then make see what i want to do. The car will mostly only be driven in the summer. I plan on driving it almost everyday in the summer and some occasional racing at the track and beating on it. But thanks for the feedback already this site is amazing i don't know where i would be without it.

now lets say i buy these things. They will have enough clearance to just go right on in or do i have to worry about anything else? Just tryin to get an education.

Thanks,
Joe

now lets say i buy these things. They will have enough clearance to just go right on in or do i have to worry about anything else? Just tryin to get an education.
Thanks,
Joe[/QUOTE

I just did mine,,,but I had to put the bearings on. Like they all said ,,If ya want trouble then leave the thrust block in!!!!Basically,,,it has to come out before the bearing change.If the axles come with the bearings installed then make sure your thrust block is out then just install them with your back plates in properly. If you have to install the bearings,,,,dont listen to all who say you need a press,, If you take your time they go on easy with a punch and hammer,, so does the lock ring,,it will mark up a bit because it is softer than the bearings. Dont over tighten the plates cause it will bend them..remember,,, your backing plates need to go in on the install too!

I would run them in anything. If it has to corner really hard all the time, Greens are not the best in that application. But for 90% of the cars out there, Greens are fine. Another issue with tapered is the greasing. Nobody ever greases them...lol. I've even seen them installed dry...

-
Back