Thinking about joining the A body crowd.

-

Daly

Reaction score
So I sold my 69 Coronet a few days ago and I'm in the market for a new classic. I'm going to look at a 70's Duster tomorrow. I saw it Yesterday, but I'm going back tomorrow to get a better look at it.
I'm wondering if you guys could help me with where I should be looking on these reticular cars? I know the motor isn't stock, it has a 360 in it now. I didn't notice if it still had the fender tag, but if it does, what should I look for on it? I'm not concerned if it's numbers matching so much either way, just that it's a solid car. So where should I look for rust or weaknesses.

Thanks for any help, and with any luck I'll be joining the A body group soon.

Rust spots in the typical area as well as inner front frame rails and T bar anchor area. Also at the rear of the rear springs inside the trunk area and outside where the bolt onto the frame. Trunk pan, floor boards.

Welcome -- From Pa. -- Lots of help, here, on FABO.

I for the life of me can't remember because I look at a lot of cars the day I stumble across it. I do think it's a 71 or 72 though. I'm going back to look at it today with my dad, he's a retired body guy, and I'll get more info and some pics then.

20170721_173045.jpg
20170721_172910.jpg
20170721_173230.jpg
20170721_173126.jpg

Well I bought it. Pretty happy with this one...

I probably would have bought it, too!
How much?
All we ever seem to see is asking prices, I would like to know what a car in that condition actually sold for.

Nice 72! Welcome to the club!

Not sure I would ever let mine go, but if I did it would be for a 68 Coronet R/T, 500, or Super Bee, lol...

20170715_080247.jpg

TB3 Petty Blue.

The most awesomest color ever applied onto Mopar metal, period.

Adds $2K to the value of your purchase :)

Thanks guys. It was originally a slant six car, but it is painted the original B3 Basin Street Blue. The 360 is a little hopped up, and recently rebuilt. Transmission is rebuilt with a reverse manual valve body, and it has an 8.25. The 8.25 is what I worry is going to be the weak point, but time will tell. The seats are original, just not to that car, they came out of another Duster. New carpet and dash, it was a drag car before the previous owner got a hold of it. The asking price was $18K cdn and that's what I paid. The Coronet I sold was a driver, but it needed $40k in work to be a $25k car. This is worth what I have into it, and doesn't need anymore work.

Thanks guys. It was originally a slant six car, but it is painted the original B3 Basin Street Blue. The 360 is a little hopped up, and recently rebuilt. Transmission is rebuilt with a reverse manual valve body, and it has an 8.25. The 8.25 is what I worry is going to be the weak point, but time will tell. The seats are original, just not to that car, they came out of another Duster. New carpet and dash, it was a drag car before the previous owner got a hold of it. The asking price was $18K cdn and that's what I paid. The Coronet I sold was a driver, but it needed $40k in work to be a $25k car. This is worth what I have into it, and doesn't need anymore work.
Sweet car ,looks like you got a good deal . Was it an original canadian car if so it's nice . Welcome from eastern ontario . Bob

Don't under estimate the 8 1/4. I beat on my 360 Dart and I haven't had an issue.

Welcome to the A body club. I'm also located in Southern Ontario... quite a few of us but we aren't organized into a club...

Riddler

Enjoy the ride...looks great!!

Thanks for the welcome guys. I finally had a chance to enjoy it today. It's not the first time I had it out, the first time it over heated. The fan was not capable of cooling the rad in traffic. I added an electric fan the next day and walla, she's a happy camper in the city now.
20170806_112654_1502048141483.jpg
IMG_20170806_112310_1502048142558.jpg

Beautiful car. I just picked up a running 73 today,$1000. Needs some tranny work, 904 no problem there. It's gonna get a beating.

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1438.JPG

Lol, the kick down and drive line are both disconnected for towing, or is that the only problem, might not be anything wrong with the tranny, focused on the motor and was just gonna pull the tranny, now I might just hook everything up an cross my fingers.

-
Back