Thinking of selling my '68 cuda, what can I get for it?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToastToAlmost

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hey guys, due to some recent events in my life I've been thinking it might be best for me to sell my cuda, and I'm just wondering what it would sell for? I've attached a pic of it down below...

Here's a little intel about the car... It's a '68 Notchback from Arizona. I have the original title for it. It was originally a slant 6 car. The K-member has been changed over to a v8 K-member. It's been upgraded to front disc brakes, and has BB torsion bars on it. The uni-body has been braced into a full frame. It's got a 440 in it with modified B-body manifolds. It's resting on Schumacher mounts and is backed by a rebuilt 727 tranny. It's got bucket seats and a floor shifter with a 150mph speedo and a built in tach.

Now for the bad... I was restoring this car from scratch and never got around to tying up all the loose ends. The car doesn't have a carpet in it, and is missing the lower half of the back seat.

Being from arizona, the body is in good shape for the age. The entire car is rust free and the under-carriage is immaculate. It does have a couple of little dings on the driver's side front fender and door though, which you'll be able to see in the pic.

The pic is about 6 months old as I'm out of state at the moment and only have old pics of it with me. So how much do you think I could sell it for guys? Any input is appreciated. :cheers:

S5030128.jpg

The car is a /6 car that has been modded into a BB.

Most all of the hard work is complete (BB conversion, disc brake conversion).

Yet the car still needs finish body work to address the dings, etc., and it needs paint and interior.

It's hard to guess what this might bring in the current state described above.

You have to find someone who wants your car, which is a hot rod, and a nice rust-free one to start.

You should inventory all the parts you still have to replace and/or missing, and factor that expense into your asking price. Also, list everything that has been replaced/upgraded, in the BB conversion. You mentioned disc brakes conversion, so what about all the other supporting BB conversion items? Cooling system, electrics, brake components, lines, suspension (what was used in the front suspension), rear - what is used there?

Also, it's been said over and over, but bears repeating: Today, a lot of guys do not have the money, due to economic uncertainty. That hurts anyone selling anything at this time.

I like it!

Couple questions though.

WHere are you located?
does the interior have door panels, head liner? hows the dash?
Was the disk brake conversion from a 73 and up? or aftermarket?
What rear end?
Fenderwell or underchassi?

all these will need to be known for an acurate price.

I would say around $7,000 but may come down depending on answers.

Phil

Yeah, you'll probably take a beating 'cuz of the economy AND 'cuz it's primered, has lotsa loose ends and those wheels.....unless you find someone who has the talent of looking past the first impression and appreciate it for everything you've done so far, which is pretty substantial. Looks mean a lot.

I'd say $4500.....on a good day.

I looked up your zip so being in florida will help you on price. If it was out west i dont think you could get as much. I am in the same situation. My car is nice for the right coast which will help. But for now the economy is crushing our type of cars. High end cars arent really coming down because the owners have money still. In a better economy average guys would jump at your car but now are scared. I think these guys are in line on price. Mine is a small block, 8 3/4, at, that looks good ( an average driver type car) and the couple of people i have priced mine to a 8k havent bought it. Remembering im not advertising. Hopefully you can get what you need out of it...good luck

Sorry...I'm thinking what it would be worth up here in canada. Prob a bit lower but I think you would be able to gety more than $4500...all depends on the questions I mentioned.

Phil

I like it!

Couple questions though.

WHere are you located?
does the interior have door panels, head liner? hows the dash?
Was the disk brake conversion from a 73 and up? or aftermarket?
What rear end?
Fenderwell or underchassi?

all these will need to be known for an acurate price.

I would say around $7,000 but may come down depending on answers.

Phil

Like sawdoff already mentioned, I'm in Florida.

It has driver quality door panels that have no tears in them or any water damage whatsoever.

The headliner is in a good shape, probably the best I've seen on a driver.

The dash is also in decent shape, none of the dash pads have any cracks in them.

The only thing the interior doesn't have is arm rests, a lower back seat, and a carpet. I wish I could take some pics of it, but like I said, I'm out of state at the moment.

The disc brakes are the 73 and up conversion...

I'm actually not sure what rear end it has. This is my first Mopar and I'm still learning. The rear end was/is on my to-do list... It probably wasn't the best idea to drop a 440 in a car without knowing what rear-end it had in it, lol. I doubt it's a 8-3/4. It's probably still got the skimpy /6 rear end in it. It hasn't given me any trouble...yet. lol, so it can't be all that bad.

And right now it's running manifolds instead of headers... I was kinda short on cash when I was informed I couldn't store it at the old garage I had been working on it at anymore, and it had to be running and moving for me to keep it where I am, so I needed to get the car on the road asap... That's why I just opted for manifolds as a temporary fix to get it on the road and also neglected the rear end for now... I was thinking about maybe going Schumacher though.

Thanks for all the input guys:cheers: I'm gonna probably try and hang on to it for now. I'd really like to finish it. I've also always wanted to try painting a car with a roller as I've heard pretty good things about it, and this would be the perfect guinea pig for that. :-D

Hate to see anyone lose their car,specially their first Mopar.Hope things improve in the future and you get another one.8)

You guys are way to nice. Based on my first impression (the picture) I would say that is a $2,000.00 car on a good day. I have a 68 factory 383 Barracuda project that I have about $10,000 invested and I'm thinking it may be worth $6000 but in reality I'm scared to find out what its really worth.

Carry on!

Based on what I have seen, I would have to say $4-6k, which is likely much less than you have in it. That's assuming it runs and drives. Everything the car needs is simple, except the paint. I'm not really a notch fan, but they are much more popular than they were twenty years ago.

Im not sure what you could get.. But im resroing my 68 notchback and cant find disc brakes to fit my spindles on the front.. Can you reply with details on your conversion.. anyone??

You guys are way to nice. Based on my first impression (the picture) I would say that is a $2,000.00 car on a good day. I have a 68 factory 383 Barracuda project that I have about $10,000 invested and I'm thinking it may be worth $6000 but in reality I'm scared to find out what its really worth.

Carry on!

I think you are out to lunch. a none running /6 car with crappy sun burnt interior, but with a solid body would sell for $2000.

If thats the case about your car, post it, I bet it would sell quick for $6,000 if what you say is true.

Hey toasttoalmost, good thing with the exhaust manifolds. I think fenderwells decrease the value. the rear end could be an issue. Id say around $4000- $5000. but Up here I think more.

But please don't paint roller that car.

Im not sure what you could get.. But im resroing my 68 notchback and cant find disc brakes to fit my spindles on the front.. Can you reply with details on your conversion.. anyone??

Just buy a 1973 parts car for $300 that has front discs.

Really easy to do.

upper control arms, Hub, Disc caliper, hoses, Proportioning valve. calipers, etc etc

Toast, if you can afford to ride out the economic storm you`ll do much better selling your car when values start to rise again. Prices on our cars have been steadily going down for some time now. Even the A-body factory muscle cars are bringing a fraction of what they were just a year ago.

id definately pay 4 for it if i had the cash but im not a mopar genius so who knows

Toast, if you can afford to ride out the economic storm you`ll do much better selling your car when values start to rise again. Prices on our cars have been steadily going down for some time now. Even the A-body factory muscle cars are bringing a fraction of what they were just a year ago.

Best advice so far in this thread, shown above.

If you sell in this market, expect to sell at a greatly reduced price.

Roller paint?? Like.......with a paint roller from wal-mart????? I guess my dad and I were checkin out a 67 charger one time, and it had been fn painted with a brush!!!

If the underside is as good as you say it could drive the value up,won't know without photos.

Roller paint?? Like.......with a paint roller from wal-mart????? I guess my dad and I were checkin out a 67 charger one time, and it had been fn painted with a brush!!!

But please don't paint roller that car.

Thanks for all the input guys... I'm probably gonna try to hang on to it for a while and get some more work done to it at least until the economy picks up...

I do have one question though, what's with all the hate against painting it with a roller? Do any of you have any experience with it or have you just never heard about this: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0707_1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job/index.html

The thing it's got going for you is that it's rust-free. I grew up in Detroit and I know what a back east rust-bucket is. BTW, I am looking for a notchback 6 banger to complete my collection. I have a fastback 69 and a convert 67 but no notchback.

I completely agree with you, but the funny people around here have been asking more and more on CL for A bodys. we bought Tara's '71 swinger 2 years ago for 900 (ran and drove) and at that time there were a few on CL, now I can't find a decent '70-'72 swinger for less then 2k.

Anyway not to hijack the thread I think you will do better if you wait out the recession but you never know you could get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back