This is why you should port match your intake (pics)

-
Should look something like this? Mike

engine 014.jpg

Just remember it the heads have a quite a bit of pushrod pinch, you can only move so much air/fuel past that point. So if you open the intake up at the flange, then you slow the air down...as it passes the pushrod pinch, it speeds back up, then slows back down at the short turn...using up alot of energy in the process!

Pic is Weind, about 3 years old I think... Crosswind wasn't this bad but antifreeze seaping out the rear of it was and the machining was just silly bad.

That is Horrible!! My "jap" crosswind blows that in the water.

My point is they all have issues like that. You have to look for them, but that's why some engines run stronger and some don't even with the same parts.
Brian, what do suppose is the bigger power robber and why? A physical mismatched port opening (for this instance lets say its the top and pushrod side lengthst hat are off) or the change in volume as a result of the gasket matching and blending to the pinch? (ps - I'm curious what your opinion is... not trying to be an Ahole.) IMO, it's the mismatch.

My 169.95 (shipped might i ad) Crosswind intake was very nice & port allignment was pretty good, glad i past on the eddy RPM for 309.00 plus shipping, i don't care what some say, you guys would be "shocked" if you really knew the truth. If, I say IF those intakes are "truely" made in the states by Edelbrock, then Ol'e VIC needs his *** kicked & mighty hard, most of his high $$$ stuff ain't worth a ****!!!!!!!!! Your paying for the name anymore, i'm out 8)

You know of course that there's a lot more to an intake runner than port alignment, right? The shape/taper/etc actually matters.

Crosswind is frigging junk. Its useful because it has the Magnum intake bolt pattern, and lets you easily hook up LA coolant tubing (when it doesn't leak). Thats about it. Anyone who has tried both (at the track, not just in the garage) knows that the Air Gap makes a lot more power (and mine was pretty well dead on out of the box).

You can set gaskets on an intake and ***** about the alignment till the cows come home, but it doesn't mean anything till you've seen what the port alignment is with the intake actually bolted to the head.

Edelbrock has its' own foundrey in LA and it is run by Kristy, Vics' daughter. She keeps a tight rein on production, but it is not impossible to have something slip by once in a while. I know the family and they have no financial need to ruin their reputation by intentionally selling jusk to us Hot Rodders, who have made this company what it is today.

RALPH HORNBECK

SAN DIEGO

Ralph, I have 3 eddy intakes that I've picked up over a 7 yr period and all of them [especially the performer] are wacked out with port windows that are higher than others and even triangular at the roof exits.

I wouldn't care as long as they were still smaller than stock ports AND had a ''needs port matching'' sticker stuck on the bottom.

They've lost quality for quantity.

Offenhauser manifolds came with smaller than stock ports, I wish they were still around and popular..... Every Offey I have messed with got port matched. But today, its about shine, cool sound, and bolt on. I mostly blame the chevy guys for this....

My point is they all have issues like that. You have to look for them, but that's why some engines run stronger and some don't even with the same parts.
Brian, what do suppose is the bigger power robber and why? A physical mismatched port opening (for this instance lets say its the top and pushrod side lengthst hat are off) or the change in volume as a result of the gasket matching and blending to the pinch? (ps - I'm curious what your opinion is... not trying to be an Ahole.) IMO, it's the mismatch.

I've seen guys with sb mopar port matched heads, take the rpm or M1 intake off, port match it and either LOSE e.t. or not gain anything! I've never dyno'd it that way, but this leads me to believe that unless the pushrod pinch is mostly removed, the intake being SMALLER than the port opening is the best it can be.
In other words, if the opening in the manifold is close to the AREA or SIZE of the pushrod pinch AREA or SIZE then any matching will be void.

Just what I've seen....

In other words, if the opening in the manifold is close to the AREA or SIZE of the pushrod pinch AREA or SIZE then any matching will be void.

I agree.

When they are way short, crooked and hang below the floor of the heads intake ports, let alone the roof..ha ha.. now that can't be good.

I don't even open the windows up beyond the straight width of the narrowest part of the pinch. I don't see how making the port wider just to have the air run into/speed bump 'figure of speach' off the pinch anyways.

I believe all it does is give the effect of a more gradual radius plate, which when compared to with an intake bolted on, kinda fudges the #'s.JMO

You know of course that there's a lot more to an intake runner than port alignment, right? The shape/taper/etc actually matters.

Crosswind is frigging junk. Its useful because it has the Magnum intake bolt pattern, and lets you easily hook up LA coolant tubing (when it doesn't leak). Thats about it. Anyone who has tried both (at the track, not just in the garage) knows that the Air Gap makes a lot more power (and mine was pretty well dead on out of the box).

You can set gaskets on an intake and ***** about the alignment till the cows come home, but it doesn't mean anything till you've seen what the port alignment is with the intake actually bolted to the head.

I look at it this way, ME personally have been told by a few mopar builders (on these boards) that they have tested the Crosswind, & for the most part were pleased with it on the dyno along with the quality, it was indeed worth its $$$, I've bought plenty of Eddy stuff over the years, & some of it isn't that great, but to insinuate that its Ok that the intake port allignment can be f*cked up & thats not all thats important, then to say the Crossswind in Friggin junk, then say its useful doesn't make any sense either, I'm very happy with mine, it doesn't leak, all the bolt holes lined up along with the ports, & it performs quit well on my little magnum. How much "more" HP do you think the Eddy RPM makes over the Crosswind, will it justify the price difference, & as we know the eddy has its issues, so who's fooling who, i "would" like to see a SOLID not a GUESS True Dyno HP difference with EVERYTHING being the same, i don't think its really been done, you can't try the 2 intakes, but change the jetting or carb & say Oh yeah BTW, the eddy makes more HP :read2:, so you can say its junk, maybe you had a bad one, but i didn't, I was basically stateing how crappy Eddy stuff is for what you have to pay. No one will ever convince ME that these intakes are crap, NO ONE!! & even if there not top quality, so what, i didn't pay for that.

I've seen guys with sb mopar port matched heads, take the rpm or M1 intake off, port match it and either LOSE e.t. or not gain anything! I've never dyno'd it that way, but this leads me to believe that unless the pushrod pinch is mostly removed, the intake being SMALLER than the port opening is the best it can be.

Just what I've seen....

Oh, absolutely!!! Thats one of the reasons I collect every small port manifold I can, including the 22 degree marine single plane 4bbl. And also why I miss offenhauser. All their manifolds were smaller than the port. Or at least the ones I had got.

I have a Performer RPM here, bigger than the damn 4bbl gaskets, not exactly sure what good thats going to do me....... :angry7:

I can see the logic there. I'm assuming you can't get a pitot tube in there, eh? I typically will not go to gasket size now. I used to but I don't do it unless it's a full porting deal and generally that's not where I use a dual plane. This is the same intake after matching. The step is about .100" on the roof.
Just thinking out loud here...If it's volume that we are concerning ourselves with and disregarding physical impediments to the flow path... Look into the intake's runner. I'd guestimate the area (and resulting "local" volume) up closer to the plenum transition to be smaller than even a stock iron 340/360 port's pushrod pinch on this Action Plus. So if the smallest area spot in the entire port is the concern, I think it might be fair to say the head's pushrod pinch, in general, used with this dual plane, and many others Ican think of that are similar, will not be the smallest point of the entire intake port. I'm thinking the intake runner's volume and more importantly it's volume along it's length, would affect the speed and flow path accross any manifold/head transition. I know the air column is elastic and the pressure waves play a huge part too so I'm curious what affect having two narrow small-area section of port do to the flow in between them in a real running engine.

100_1871.jpg

I bought 2 intakes for my W5 engine, the large port 4150 M1 intake, which was a truelly nice piece and the small port M1 intake which looked like a 10 year old cast it. It has so much epoxy on the side walls and floors of the runner I had to buy at least 10 packs of Devcon F and it took two weeks to add all the filler. The big port intake sucked in my heavy Duster.

Funny thing is about 2 years later when MP was getting rid of all that stuff I bought another W5 small port intake but I got a standard LA head M1 intake. The casting on this manifold was excellent. The manifolds are the same except for the intake bolt hole placement. I should have just opened them up and used the new intake but I made other plans for it.

Oh, absolutely!!! Thats one of the reasons I collect every small port manifold I can, including the 22 degree marine single plane 4bbl. And also why I miss offenhauser. All their manifolds were smaller than the port. Or at least the ones I had got.

I have a Performer RPM here, bigger than the damn 4bbl gaskets, not exactly sure what good thats going to do me....... :angry7:
Why do you miss Offy ? Since when ? Called them lately ? ateam.:profilel:

My torker 2 had nicer ports than my victor.my victor was 3tenths quicker after I was done with it.

-
Back